Mazda5 engine stumble during light acceleration TSB

Benfolio

:
06 Mazda 5 - '01 P71
FINALLY!!!

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2006-2007 Mazda5 vehicles
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience an intermittent engine stumble while driving with light acceleration at 1500-2500
rpm. This is caused by the camshaft position sensor picking up noise from the nearby ignition coil harness,
which the PCM detects as an abnormal signal. To eliminate this concern, the PCM software has been changed.

Sure, now that I no longer own it, they find the cure to the problem. (gtfo)

dang, I need to have this done... it happens every once in a while but not too bad. Rotary's have had problems with noise getting into the ignition on aftermarket ECUs.

HELL YES x ! The 5 is definitely getting some warranty work in the next month! Benfolio, I bowdown to you... you're my official hero for the day! (bowdown)

dreamym5, yes, it is flat out scary when it happens. You're accelerating and the car violently jerks for a second then continues on its merry way like nothing happened. You never have a warning when it's about to happen, just all of a sudden engine cuts out for a split second and you get thrown forward. Crazy $h1t! (eek2)

Halleluja!! How the hell did they figure that out? And why would it be mostly a cold weather thing? We are talking about the big lurch, right?

I'd like to know what they changed in the software. Seems like moving the ignition or some type of shielding would have been the cure.

I'm wondering if they turned something off or changed the RPM range.

Perhaps keeping track of MPG before and after would tell us something?

Damn car did this today, after I was already in traffic. People in the car next to me doing the, "Haha, must be his first time driving a stick." look. Major suckage.

hi. I have the mz5 2006. Either I have not noticed the problem or I have adapted my driving style to it. Is there a way to make the problem appear? or does it happen at random.

hi. I have the mz5 2006. Either I have not noticed the problem or I have adapted my driving style to it. Is there a way to make the problem appear? or does it happen at random.
you'd know if it had happened as it's rather violent. it's just one single jolt where the engine cuts out jerking you forward. don't know why you'd want to make the issue appear, but sure, lol... usually when it happens to me under the following conditions...
  • 25%-50% throttle
  • usually immediately after shifting into 2nd gear
  • usually really cold weather (although it's happened when it's been like 60*F'ish, too)
  • usually soon after I first leave in the morning (although sometimes it comes out of nowhere after the engine has warmed up, too)
  • and yes, it is very random. few and far between, but it sucks when it does happen

It hasn't happened to me in weeks, if not months, but lately I've also been taking a stab at hypermiling so I'm shifting way low at like < 2k RPM.

Is this a "manual" transmission only problem?

My 5 does have the manual transmission. The hesitation makes it feel as if you let the clutch out too soon. I can't comment on any automatics having this issue.

So will Mazda issue a recall on this problem?

Unfortunately, I’ve heard of 4AT’s experiencing this issue as well. If you haven’t experienced it yet, I wouldn’t worry about it… simply because if this issue only happens later down the road when your 5 is out of warranty, I can’t imagine it would be an expensive fix as there are no parts to replace. On the other hand, I don’t think this issue has to be duplicated (verified) by the tech… simply because it’s SUCH a random hit or miss thing. So you could lie and said it happened and they could probably still perform the TSB procedures for you anyhow.

Skylab, I kind of doubt that they’d issue a recall for this as it’s not a safety issue. Plus, recalls tend to be get media coverage, and not the good kind. I question if perhaps resale value of a car is dinged every time a recall is issued. But I think I kind of know where you're going with this... many owners probably have already complained about this to their tech's to no avail so they threw in the towel figuring it would never get fixed... well now there's a fix so how will they find out?

One thing that they may do, is issue a Special Service Program bulletin. I received one of these for a widespread issue with Mazda OEM Sirius radios a year or so ago. It acts like a recal in that it notifies the owners that there is a fix for the issue they may be experiencing, but doesn't go to the manditory nature of a recall. An example of a "Special Service Program" bulletin can be found here if you want to take a look. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123654562&highlight=sirius

Last edited:
It happened alot in my 2007 GT. I reported it to the Mazda service center who did some adjustments on software upgrades. At the same time, I switched types of gas back to 87 octane Chevron. Since then (4 months ago), everything is fine.

Before that, it was doing it about once every few weeks. It was extremely dangerous and made me feel very unsecure when making left hand turns with on-coming traffic. It always seem to cut out when I was in the process of making left hand turns from a stop position.

Mazda5 2.3L engine in concept equals to Mazda3 and Mazda6 2.3L, Is it only affecting the Mazda5?

This gets the s*&t out of me, but never experienced it. Mine is almost a 2005 though, too old maybe? ;)

engine stumble

you'd know if it had happened as it's rather violent. it's just one single jolt where the engine cuts out jerking you forward. don't know why you'd want to make the issue appear, but sure, lol... usually when it happens to me under the following conditions...
  • 25%-50% throttle
  • usually immediately after shifting into 2nd gear
  • usually really cold weather (although it's happened when it's been like 60*F'ish, too)
  • usually soon after I first leave in the morning (although sometimes it comes out of nowhere after the engine has warmed up, too)
  • and yes, it is very random. few and far between, but it sucks when it does happen

It hasn't happened to me in weeks, if not months, but lately I've also been taking a stab at hypermiling so I'm shifting way low at like < 2k RPM.

I have a '06 M5 with MT5 and have noticed the same thing under similar conditions + these:

-only in moderate cold weather (+5c to -5c in Canada eh?)
-only during warmup (temp gauge about 1/4 inch off bottom)
-always only once per trip, maybe every 2-3 weeks or so.
-have tried very hard to reproduce it on demand but couldn't.

Now that I know there is a cure I will try to get it fixed.
I just hope that the TSB is honored by Mazda Canada

I'm practicing how to describe the problem to the dealer. I remember having experienced a hesitation before the first months of our mz5 2006. The kind where your body lurch forward sort of like coffee spilled out the cup after
sudden deceleration. At that time I thought it was normal bec. the symptom was almost similar to the Drive-by-wire lag issue.

I'm practicing how to describe the problem to the dealer. I remember having experienced a hesitation before the first months of our mz5 2006. The kind where your body lurch forward sort of like coffee spilled out the cup after
sudden deceleration. At that time I thought it was normal bec. the symptom was almost similar to the Drive-by-wire lag issue.

I would print the bulletin and hand it to them: "Here, this is happening to me and this is what you have to do, if you have any questions, call Mazda" :D

I drove my wife's 06 while cold and the only thing I noted is that irregular-n-crazy acceleration that you eventually get when taking off once in 2nd gear. I think this was mentioned already, so it is old... (wrong)

Yea the increased acceleration (without moving pedal) is the only thing I have noticed.

The hesitation problem you guys talk about sounds like a problem I had with my Quad4. After putting aftermarket exhaust and larger downpipe the car would have a hesitation in the same place leaving for work every day. With a scanner I was finally able to figure out what the problem was.

When the car was warmed up after coming home the fuel trims were setup for "warmed up" closed loop operation. When leaving for work the next morning the fuel trims were not quite right. AS SOON as the car would switch from open loop (no O2 sensor input) to closed loop (reading O2 sensor) the car would stumble for a split second until it could adjust the fuel trim memory to match the cooler temp engine needs.

So perhaps they just changed the temperature that the car goes into closed loop? Easy fix if that was the problem.

Back