CX-9 braking performance

logicalfaith

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hello,

So far I've been with the CX-9 for two months logging 2000 miles on my Liquid Platinum "Sylvie" (there can be a whole another thread about people who name their cars) hehehe.

I've been very happy with her performance (driving dynamics, acceleration, reliability, features, and styling). My wife and I are glad to choose her over the Enclave. My qualm comes a from the braking side. I feel that the braking distance is not satisfying. The brake pedal feels firm and solid, but the stopping distance is always farther than I expected.

Does anyone feel the same? Is there any reputable company that manufactures after-market brake upgrade kits for the CX-9?

I've got almost 12000 miles on my 2007 CX-9 FWD GT. So far in everyday driving situations the brakes have been more than adequate. I always try to be aware that I'm trying to stop a vehicle that weighs over two tons, so I don't expect it to be as quick to stop as my Miata. It's definitely better than the '95 GMC pickup it replaced!

For most vehicles, traction is usually the limiting factor. If you can push the brake and have the antilock system kick in, then better brakes aren't going to produce shorter stopping distances. Brake upgrade kits provide better brake "feel" and/or resistance to heat induced fade.

Tires with greater braking traction will help (summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter, instead of all season tires). But ultimately, you are trying to stop a large, heavy vehicle. It just isn't going to stop as fast as a smaller, lighter car.

After 20K miles, I've been pleasantly surprised how well the CX-9 stops, given it's weight.

The CX-9's braking performance is about average for this class. The four-wheel discs stopped the 4,284-pound car from 60 mph in 136 feet, a stunning 20 feet shorter than our long-term 4,195-pound Ford Edge. Apparently Mazda uses a more aggressive brake-pad material than the dull Edge and it pays off. The brake pedal always feels reassuringly firm underfoot, yet the effort level never makes braking a chore, even in stop-and-go traffic.

From Edmunds second 07 CX9 Test.

More examples of the Edge being a turd becasue Ford has it's collective head up it's a**. Just like not allowing Mazda to sell it's trucks here because they dont want the Ranger to have more competetion. (No contest)
How do you own some of the best car companies and dont take advantage of their expertise?

And I have no problem with our braking performance. Certainly not for the size and weight.

Last edited:
Hello,

So far I've been with the CX-9 for two months logging 2000 miles on my Liquid Platinum "Sylvie" (there can be a whole another thread about people who name their cars) hehehe.

I've been very happy with her performance (driving dynamics, acceleration, reliability, features, and styling). My wife and I are glad to choose her over the Enclave. My qualm comes a from the braking side. I feel that the braking distance is not satisfying. The brake pedal feels firm and solid, but the stopping distance is always farther than I expected.

Does anyone feel the same? Is there any reputable company that manufactures after-market brake upgrade kits for the CX-9?
'The Rocket'

Hello,

What did you drive before? Yes, it takes longer to stop the CX-9 than 3 series or my prior Protege5. However, considering the size and type of car, the stops are quite reasonable and stable.

What did you drive before? Yes, it takes longer to stop the CX-9 than 3 series or my prior Protege5. However, considering the size and type of car, the stops are quite reasonable and stable.

I used to drive a 2002 VW GTI and am still driving 2001 VW Passat. I guess I just have to get use to driving a 2 ton+ SUV. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, is there a brake upgrade kit that I can install to make that adjustment as painless as possible?

I've been looking for EBC greenstuff or streethawk pads.
They have them for the CX-7, but not the 9. I hope it's just a matter of time before they are available.

After a few months with the CX-9, I am noticing that my brake pedal feels spongier than when new. Anyone else feel this? I am going to get it checked by the dealer when I go in for my first oil change this Wednesday.

- ZoomFive

I used to drive a 2002 VW GTI and am still driving 2001 VW Passat. I guess I just have to get use to driving a 2 ton+ SUV. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, is there a brake upgrade kit that I can install to make that adjustment as painless as possible?

Look into better tires if you dont drive off road. That'll make a bigger difference, then you can think about the brakes.

The 9 uses the same rotors as the MS3 and MS6 (12.6") but with 2 pot calipers.

The kits for the Mazda6 Mazda3 and all G chassis mazdas going back to 1988 (except for the Millenia)
should fit physicaly but compatibility with ABS is still a question and FR balance can be an issue.

Those cars give you a ton of options for upgrades. Want some 8 piston calipers? They got'em. 14" rotors? Got'em :) Just look around after looking at new tires because I promise that without ABS you can lock the stock brakes up easily and that indicates that you are definitely traction limited.

Last edited:
Back