Headlight Vertical Adjustment

Hi. I'm hoping someone can provide guidance on adjusting the headlight vertical position on the CX-9. I've searched the forum and didn't find any info that can help me. My driver side headlight is higher than the passenger and therefore would like to adjust the driver side headlight lower.

Here is a picture of the driver side headlight of my CX-9. Can someone point me where the vertical adjustment is located?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 13,694
i dont have a cx9, but im sure that there is a screw somewhere on the top of the headlight housing and somewhere on the bottom of the headlight housing.. basically screwing the top one "tighter" would make the headlight aim down slightly (adjust to whatever suites you best), same with the bottom screw, "looser" and the headlight should point downward also..
***someone correct me if im wrong though... like i said, i dont have a cx9 but this is usually how it is with most cars 'unless' you have the automatic adjusters inside the cabin..

but to get the most accurate results in calibrating your headlights, you must be 25 feet away from a flat wall on a leveled surface, then you adjust your headlights leveled to the height of the headlights on your vehicle..

i hope this is of some help to you..

peace,
RJ

Hi RJ, thanks for the response. I do have the leveler knob in the car, but by using this adjuster, it moves both headlights at the same time. I need to adjust the driver side only as it is higher than the passenger side.

I tried to look for the screws but if someone knows the location of the vertical placement it would help me before I screw around with it and make matters worse :)

I though it was by design to have the driver-side a bit higher than the passenger's side.
Is it so? Mine is that way as well. CX-9 does not have auto-leveling to go with HID (to save cost, I guess). If you load the CX-9 up, you better adjust the leveler. Otherwise, your fellow motorists might be pissed at your bright headlights in their eyes.

well the design is "supposed" to have the PASSENGER side a bit higher, becuase in the U.S. our roads are "dome" shaped to run off the water from rain etc.. since we drive on the right side of the road, the right side of the cars headlights is supposed to be slightly bit higher, and left side slightly lower to "prevent blinding the on-coming traffic"..

but of course if you live in a country where you're driving on the left hand side of the road, then the driver's side is supposed to be slightly higher..

:)
RJ

but of course if you live in a country where you're driving on the left hand side of the road, then the driver's side is supposed to be slightly higher..

Actually it would still be the passenger side - the driver is always on the side closest to the center of the road. It's just that the passenger would be on the LEFT side of the car and the driver on the RIGHT side.

Hi,,,,in all cars you will find always the driver side laight upper then passenger side either its left hand drive or right hand,,,the actual reason is to get the clear vision while turning the car in night time....

Hi. I'm hoping someone can provide guidance on adjusting the headlight vertical position on the CX-9. I've searched the forum and didn't find any info that can help me. My driver side headlight is higher than the passenger and therefore would like to adjust the driver side headlight lower.

Here is a picture of the driver side headlight of my CX-9. Can someone point me where the vertical adjustment is located?

Thanks.

Hope the attached PDF helps.

Attachments

• Headlight adjustment.pdf
    309.4 KB · Views: 4,448
For anybobody still looking to adjust their xenon headlights on the CX-9, the headlight adjustment link on this thread does not accurately diagram the CX-9 headlight, it's probably a link to another Mazda, but not the CX-9.

I just had to have my right side headlight lens replaced due to some type of smear inside the lens. You actually have to drop the bumper cover to access the lens and remove it. Dealer did it without damage, but didn't align the light to my satisfaction. The replacement was lower than the other side by a considerable margin, and I like my lights level with someone in the driver seat, not one higher and one lower.

The adjuster is in between the two round housings that contain the low and high beams. There is a translucent plastic round cap over the adjuster that just spins on its axis if you try. Just take a small flat screwdriver and place it in one of the slots all around the translucent cover, and pop it off. This reveals a bolt head that turned counterclockwise raises the low beam xenon, and turned clockwise lowers it. Upon completion of the adjustment, just pop the cover back on, and that's that.

Hope that helps somebody.

Last edited:
For anybobody still looking to adjust their xenon headlights on the CX-9, the headlight adjustment link on this thread does not accurately diagram the CX-9 headlight, it's probably a link to another Mazda, but not the CX-9.

2007 CX-9

I just had to have my right side headlight lens replaced due to some type of smear inside the lens. You actually have to drop the bumper cover to access the lens and remove it. Dealer did it without damage, but didn't align the light to my satisfaction. The replacement was lower than the other side by a considerable margin, and I like my lights level with someone in the driver seat, not one higher and one lower.

The adjuster is in between the two round housings that contain the low and high beams. There is a translucent plastic round cap over the adjuster that just spins on its axis if you try. Just take a small flat screwdriver and place it in one of the slots all around the translucent cover, and pop it off. This reveals a bolt head that turned counterclockwise raises the low beam xenon, and turned clockwise lowers it. Upon completion of the adjustment, just pop the cover back on, and that's that.

Hope that helps somebody.

Rocking instructions

Okay, I have a 09 Sexy9. I have the auto adjuster and on the highest setting, my headlights are still too low...and quite dangerous for nighttime driving with no road light assistance. My driver side is positioned HIGHER than the passenger, but not by much. I live in a mountain area and at night there is a severe demarcation/difference in lighting and darkness at eye level, so I can only the bottom half of the road. Freaks me out! When the highbeams are on it is perfect, but of course, I cannot always drive with the highbeams on, especially on the freeway. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has this issue? I have pulled up the diagram and the comments above to see if we can adjust, but I am sure, this cannot be 'normal' and has to be slightly misaligned. Thanks for any help in advance:)

Back