How To: Hardwire Radar Detector to Auto-Dimming Mirrors

Retrobmx63

:
08 Mazdaspeed3 - Black Mica
So, I originally was going to hardwire my radar detector to the fuse box using an add-a-circuit. But when my hardwire wire came in the mail, I noticed it wasn't the same as the picture on the website. It was supposed to come with a bare wire end to fit into the add-a-circuit. But instead it came with a male connector end with a 3M tap connector.

Not what I was expecting in the mail.
2252554305_3e49a961d7_b.jpg

So I'm an optimist and used what was given to me, instead of cutting off the connector and going with my original plan. I know a lot of people have hardwired their detector to their map lights. I didn't like that because that has power all the time. I decided to try to tap into the Auto-Dimming mirror. I knew for a fact that it only came on, when the accessories were on. So that was my target.

Tools:
Screwdriver - philips
Pliers

First I took off the map lights housing. There are metal clips on each side that hold it in place. You can try to shimmy something under there and pull, or you can just give it a little force and it will pop out anyways.
2253353340_c5931558eb_b.jpg

After the housing is off, disconnect the connector powering the map lights. If you want your radar detector on all the time, you can tap it right here. Pin 2 is 12v (orange wire). However, I had a multimeter and saw that Pin 3 is also 12v. If any of you more electrical savvy can answer why that is, go ahead. I'm not great with electrical know-how.
2253352864_f0d8c92939_b.jpg

Now this is why I was really excited to wire it to the Auto-Dimming mirror. There is already a nice clean wire housing leading into the headliner. There is a perfect amount of room to fit the "telephone" cable in along with the mirror wire. You can just pull down on it.
2253353056_90b3073c04_b.jpg

To take the entire wire housing off for better access, just squeeze the bottom and jiggle.
2252553847_c7671296b7_b.jpg

This is the connector that goes to the back of the mirror. Mazda marked one of the pins. I though it was 12v. Good thing I took out a multimeter and discovered the mark was for negative apparently. The other side was 12v. Here's where you need to pay attention though. Both the wires are black. The negative one has little ridges on it, and the positive wire is smooth. So when you trace back into the headline, remember to tap into the smooth wire.
2253352672_8452d6e587_b.jpg

Radar to the left, mirror to the right.
2252554571_aba5d9bd1c_b.jpg

Before you tap the mirror wire, you'll have to split them apart to gain access to the smooth one (12v) independently.
2252554645_e4f4b4f12d_b.jpg

There is very little slack on the mirror wire. So it is much easier to tap it while it is hanging out of the headline. You can then shove it back in later.
2252554851_255c5ef4b2_b.jpg

There is a perfect screw to attach your ground wire to.
2252554957_0a19e3f8a3_b.jpg

A little preventative planning here. I left slack on the power end of the radar wire and twist tied the rest. This way, if I decide to move the radar detector down the windshield, I won't have to take everything apart. I can just give it a little tug.
2252555103_9a84337021_b.jpg

Tuck the wires back toward the back of the car. There is a nice little area for it. Oh, and turn the key and test out the radar detector before re-assembly. If all is good, re-assemble. And look at how clean the install looks. You can't even see that you did anything. The wire is hidden by the map wire housing.
2253354062_6684feda33_b.jpg

This is what the final product looks like.
2253354194_5d720773cc_b.jpg

So when you leave your car, you can even take off the suction cups so there is literally no trace of a radar detector for thieves to clue in on.

Phew that was a lot of typing.

I've just heard of situations where thieves will see the radar detector or traces of it and smash the window looking for it, or other goodies in the console, etc.

I'm not that paranoid to take off the suction cups, but if you were you could also use the visor clip.

Any steps on how to do this with the rain sensor on the windshield?

So on the auto dimming mirror harness, the one marked with the orange is negative, and the black wire towards the right end of the harness is positive?

So on the auto dimming mirror harness, the one marked with the orange is negative, and the black wire towards the right end of the harness is positive?

Correct, that's the way it was on mine. Like I mentioned, I would have thought it would make more sense to mark the positive wire. But my multimeter told me Mazda did otherwise.

I would hope this marking is at least consistent in all the cars. Just be sure to remember which wire is going to that pin. Cause like I also mentioned, it's just two black wires (one is smooth and the other just has a subtle ridge texture to it).

I'm using an Invisicord (invisicord.com) cable on my radar detector, and i'll hopefully adapt that on the MS3 when I get it.

There have been cases of radar detectors being stolen out of cars. I know first hand due to one being stolen out of my dad's car. Thanks for the write-up.

Could you guys measure your rear view mirror shaft? I'm workin on getting a radar mount made and I can't get an exact measurement consensus. Some people say it's a 3/4" width, whereas I'm measuring 1" on my 08 MS3.

Wiring is not the same on GT without Autodim. Any other suggestions?

If you would rather have the radar detector clipped to the sun visor instead of the windshield, here's the install. Only thing I forgot to do was take a picture of the detector clipped to sun visor at the end. This install is applicable to all MS3 regardless if it has an auto dim mirror, rain sensing wipers, etc.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123712940

Good write-up. My invisicord has tiny little pins I just pushed into the back of the mirror connector. The same hookup is in my Chrysler and the Ram. Much neater and it puts the detector up as high as possible instead of on the dash blocked by the wipers.

Latest posts

Back