How to: Remove stuck O2 sensors on MS3's

OK i've been working at mazda for three years now but been a mechanic for 9 years in my whole time i've never seen anything like the problem with the O2 sensors on the MZR 2.3 L3-T motors. for those that didn't understand that it's the motor in your Mazdaspeed3 speed6 and CX-7. the primary O2 sensor mainly siezes up but i've seen the second one sieze up too. so here's the best way i've found to remove them. now be careful take your time and don't force anything or you'll screw up the threads and the first O2 sensor will cost you $400 to replace and the second one was just as bad. Luckly i don't have to pay that much because i get it for more then half that much with my mazda discount yay me. LOL but seriously you won't get it for my cost they'll make you pay full price which is alomst $400 so take your time.

Tools Needed :
- 2 cans of PB Blast or super duty penatrating oil. if you're using WD-40 you should be smacked and you might as well use water. ( I use this special stuff that a cemical guy that comes to my shop sells use thats 10,000 times better then PB blast. BUT i have used PB Blast on my own car and others and it works good enough. So if you can't get it go buy PB Blast )
-Misc. O2 sensor removal sockets or tools. i'll post two pics of the ones i use for both sensors.
-Anti Sieze thread protector for O2 sensors and spark plug threads. ( this is used after you get the sensor out to prevent it from happening again )
-Plastic tube and straw from a can of brake clean ( i used some left over plastic tube from my boost gauge install and a sprayer head and straw from a can of brake clean )
-Patients... i Mean it take your time. find something to do while the oil soaks into the metal.

O.k. for starters i said get 2 cans of PB blast because you'll probally end up using a can and a half. Be careful not to get the penatrating oil into the sensor itself or you'll screw it up keep it on the threads only. i used a sprayer head from a can of brake clean put the straw into the sprayer head and put some left over plastic tube from my boost gauge install to get the oil right down into the threads and keep it from making a mess see the pic below for what it looks like.

basicly you want to spray the threads down and try to loosen the O2 up. use back and forth motions and spray alot of oil into the threads. take you time if it starts to feel stuck don't force it and spray some more oil don't force it or you'll **** up the threads take your time it will eventually come out. once removed coat the threads with the anti-sieze on the threads and re-install it and have fun not having to worry if you have to remove it again. my car only has 5,000 miles on it i did this today so you might want to do this ASAP just to keep from future problems happening.

Attachments

• pb blast.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 2,803
  • tools.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 2,758
+1 for doing it ASAP... i did this not to long ago, for the s*** of it, because i heard that these things are a PITA on these cars...

When you screw up your threads I am pretty sure a M18x1.5mm die can fix the threads a tad to reuse your sensor also.

yes my car has 6,000 miles on it now it's a 08' i did it when i had 4,000 miles and both were starting to sieze so i don't want to know what you guys that have more then 10,000 miles on your cars and haven't rremoved them yet. basicly i've gone threw almost every nut and bolt that i can or i see needed and removed it and put high temp anti sieze on it to prevent future problems. for the post above yes they do sell taps. if you have a common spark plug thread chaser or tap spark plugs and o2 have the same threads. how ever finding a tap or die for the o2 sensor it self is alittle more trickier and you need a good tap and die set to do that the only problem is most that i've come accross the o2 sensors threads and too far gone to try and fix but some you can. to me this is just preventive maintanace basicly it's just a relief that i know when ever i goto remove it when ever i put a DP on i won't have any problems or suprises.

for the post above yes they do sell taps. if you have a common spark plug thread chaser or tap spark plugs and o2 have the same threads. how ever finding a tap or die for the o2 sensor it self is alittle more trickier and you need a good tap and die set to do that the only problem is most that i've come accross the o2 sensors threads and too far gone to try and fix but some you can.

Just to clarify the O2 sensor threads are M18x1.5mm. I would not try any spark plug chasers unless they are this size. All the spark plugs I measured today were considerably smaller and finer thread pitches. So I think you may be wrong about the interchangability. That and you don't need a "good" tap and die set. You only need a single die to fix the sensor and install it in your shiney new dp which already has new good threads.

Last edited:
Thanks speedjay, Patience is what i'll need the most of but now I will be sure to give her a good presoak. This has been very helpful as I'm getting ready to install full exhaust!

I sprayed the base down with pb blaster....loosened it up a few turns or so, sprayed the base some more, then tightened it back down, then took it all the way out, worked just fine

You're better off dropping the cat converter, heating it slightly with a torch, then using a big-ass breaker bar to get the sensor off.

This is how I've done it on exhaust systems that have rusted up.

And of course you need to apply high-temp anti-seize compound to both sets of threads after cleaning them, should you ever need to yank the sensor.

I sprayed the base down with pb blaster....loosened it up a few turns or so, sprayed the base some more, then tightened it back down, then took it all the way out, worked just fine

Cool, best method for sure

last one I did a few weeks ago I just pulled it into the garage and reached down there and turned it out with a wrench. They come out real easy when hot. 3rd or 4th done like that with NO problems so far.

Sili kroil used to be around. Amazing s*** you could see it walk along threads. If I could find that it would be the only penetrator I would use.

Back