Votes: 19 52.8%
  • No or light tint first row, medium or dark tint second/third/rear

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
I just bought a Stormy Blue Mica 2008 Touring. Great car -- my wife loves it. However, I'm looking to tint the car at some point. What tinting options do you think would look best?

i'm waiting for the weather to get a little better here in toronto first.. den i'm going for the tint on my 08 galaxy grey... i'm doing 30% tint all around

see what the laws are around you tint wise, but if it came down to it i would say do 20-30% all around except the front two windows. No need to do them on a 5 imo.

Thanks for the votes and replies so far.

What I'm looking for is a nice combination of form and function. "Form" so it looks nice; and "Function" so it provides privacy and heat protection. I'm leaning towards Option #1 because I think a nice even tint all the way around makes the car look uniform -- but I lose some of the privacy as it wouldn't be as dark. I'm also leaning towards Option #3 because it provides better privacy, etc. in the back -- but I lose the even, uniform look I'm looking for. Any recommendations? (shrug)

Also depends on the local fuzz...What's your state's tint laws etc...

I'd go even all around....

check local tinting law (usually dark on rear ones and light for front 2)

here is helful link

http://www.tintlaws.com/
That's a good site, but take it with a grain of salt... your state's vehicle code is your friend here. For example, that site says PA you can go no lower than 70% all around(which multiple other sites list, as well), however upon reading the law from the PA vehicle code verbatim...
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter45.pdf
(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.--
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other
material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the
windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.
Well, you can see in a car fairly easily all the way down to 30 or even 20%. So if the cop wants to be a dick and cite you, theory state's it'd be cake to beat it in court. Bottom line, like with PA, the way the law is written may not be as clear cut as a discrete percentage. And ultimately, most cops won't waste their time citing you unless you're doing something to draw attention to yourself (ie, driving like a dick :))

Also with your concern of the front windows looking dumb if they're not as dark as the rear windows... I used to think this too, but if you look around at other cars, especially those tinted from the factory (minivans/SUVs), that is how they are tinted and looks fine IMO. But ultimately it's your preference.

Last edited:
I don't know where do you live. In Canada, You can't tint the driver row side window at all. Unless is coloured side window (not hand tint, is coloured glass) . For the back two rows, you can go 100% dark if you want.
I did 30% tinted on my MZ5. Is ok but next time, I would go for 5%.

Off topic:
arock712: Do you already have your 5? We order a 08 Stormy blue a week ago. My salesman told me that none were available in Quebec so he passed an order. Apparently my 5 in on the ship heading toward Vancouver port. I'll be notified when unloaded. Man, I just can't wait to get it.

Back to topic:
I think for mine, I'm going with a black but with a metallic shade like rayban type they used to call it. I had bronze tint on my old 92 apple red protege. I've been unlucky with my past black tints, they turned purple over 3 years. I'm not going to do the same mistake with my 5.

I've been unlucky with my past black tints, they turned purple over 3 years. I'm not going to do the same mistake with my 5.
I personally never purchased tint for myself, but I consistently hear the phrase by others "You get what you pay for". Not accusing you of purchasing a 'bad brand', but if you have purchased cheaper tints, this may be the cause of your bad luck. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about 3M... they seem to be a safe bet all around.

Here's a little more info regarding window tint.

If you get window tint, ask yourself whether you want it for looks, privacy, heat rejection, or all of the above. Then make your selection based on those needs. In general, window tints come as either dye based, metallic sputtered, or ceramic. A dye based tint will get the job done so to speak if all you're concerned about is looks. However, keep in mind that inferior quality dye based tint will turn purple within time. (simply speaking, it turns purple cause the yellow dye/pigment fades quicker than the red and blue that make the tint) AND it will turn purple quicker if you live in Vegas!
Metallic based tints have better heat rejection but may look more reflective compared to traditional tint.
If you looking for best heat rejection, the ceramic tints are the way to go. A ceramic tint that is 75% (light tint) would cut out more heat than the darkest limo tint. Look for ceramic tint that is rated at 99.9% as opposed to 99.5% heat rejection. The .4 amount may seem insignificant but is an exponential difference.
Also depending on the tint shop, they should be able to install the denser ceramic tint right up to the edge of the window creating a factory look. Most dyebased tints are recommended to be kept away from the edge of the window to prevent peeling.
Check out brands like Lumar, Vista or Formula One for further info.

So as for tinting the Mazda 5, hope this info will help you make a knowledgeable decision.

I personally never purchased tint for myself, but I consistently hear the phrase by others "You get what you pay for". Not accusing you of purchasing a 'bad brand', but if you have purchased cheaper tints, this may be the cause of your bad luck. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about 3M... they seem to be a safe bet all around.

I didn't mean I tints my windows by myself. It's true I did it on my first car with tint fim bought at Walmart. It was awful after a year. Truly purple like grape juice (cheers). Concerning my 99 Protege, it was done by a pro in a local shop specialized in window tints. My windows are not actually purple but when you look through the car for standing behind you clearly see it's not ''pure'' black anymore. The black faded out over sunlight exposition. I agree, I didn't paid the extra 50$ on a 200$ job to get a higher grade paper quality but I'll keep that in mind for my 5.

It may look silly, but I don't recall someone told me that he has 3M brand window tint. Maybe you only get that in the States.

i have 5% in the rears and my front visor and 30% on my fronts. it nice cause the fronts look light next to the dark back ones(even tho they are illegal) the po po's don't mess with me.

Attachments

• 100_0083.JPG
    100_0083.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 339
  • 100_0085.JPG
    100_0085.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
...it was done by a pro in a local shop specialized in window tints. My windows are not actually purple but when you look through the car for standing behind you clearly see it's not ''pure'' black anymore. The black faded out over sunlight exposition. I agree, I didn't paid the extra 50$ on a 200$ job to get a higher grade paper quality but I'll keep that in mind for my 5.
Yeah, but even at pro shops they usually have different brand (qualities) of film. I'm pretty sure most quality brands of film offer lifetime warranties against "purpling up"... that's really what you want to ask about, regardless of film brand... the lifetime warranty against discoloration and bubbling.

Here are 3M tint films, just as an FYI...

Yeah, but even at pro shops they usually have different brand (qualities) of film. I'm pretty sure most quality brands of film offer lifetime warranties against "purpling up"... that's really what you want to ask about, regardless of film brand... the lifetime warranty against discoloration and bubbling.

Here are 3M tint films, just as an FYI...

DON"T USE AMONIA(sp?) CLEANER ON YOUR TINT! wet rag, or wet newspaper like i use. windex will turn it purple.

Off topic:
arock712: Do you already have your 5? We order a 08 Stormy blue a week ago. My salesman told me that none were available in Quebec so he passed an order. Apparently my 5 in on the ship heading toward Vancouver port. I'll be notified when unloaded. Man, I just can't wait to get it.

Yes, I have a 2008 Touring. They just happened to have one on the lot and picked it up for $20,400 + taxes (WA State). Really like the color.

You are lucky. There was one on the lot of my local dealership but without A/C. Can't wait to get rid of our 2000 Neon (gf car) and take a drive in our MZ5.

For cleaning my windows, I use Eagle One 20/20 window cleaner. It's supposed to be harmless for the tint paper.

After having mine done - I regret not going with the 5% on all the back windows. I've seen it done that way and it looks real sharp.

Local laws prevent me from tinting the driver/passenger window at all - although I did go with 50% on those.

Back