PTO Problems?

Bobbi

I have a 2007 CX9 AWD GT. This past weekend the vehicle would not even make it up the slightest hill. A hill that my son's 110cc governed 4 wheeler can make it up with ease. The following day we got a light dusting of snow and the vehicle's traction was horrible as well.

We dropped the vehicle off for service and have received a call that the PTO needs to be replaced. Unfortunately for me, the part is backordered. What function does the PTO serve and what could have caused it to need to be replaced?

Thanks!

I have a 2007 CX9 AWD GT. This past weekend the vehicle would not even make it up the slightest hill. A hill that my son's 110cc governed 4 wheeler can make it up with ease. The following day we got a light dusting of snow and the vehicle's traction was horrible as well.

We dropped the vehicle off for service and have received a call that the PTO needs to be replaced. Unfortunately for me, the part is backordered. What function does the PTO serve and what could have caused it to need to be replaced?

Thanks!

I just had mine replaced on the 9th. They had to go to Toronto to find one for me, I'm in Minnesota.
I have no idea why mine failed or when it occurred. I didn't notice anything until we got snow and the 4WD light started to flash on the instrument panel constantly and it couldn't get up our snow covered driveway.
There is potentially another owner here with the problem as well, but I haven't heard back from him since I gave him the heads up because he was having problems similar to mine.

I hope they don't have some sort of design defect in these. But the possiblility of up to 3 failures on the forum is a somewhat ominous sign.

Ted

Thanks for the info. My 4wd indicator light was flashing too. I'm in MN as well, I wonder if they got a bad shipment of vehicles. The part is expected to arrive in CA on 1/31 so I should have my CX9 back some time the first week of Feb. Although we did give them quite the laundry list of issues: AWD, pulls to the left, exterior temps not accurate, leather seats discolored.

As you know we've had some pretty cold temps here the last week. It was 14 below and the car never registered below -2.

I did get a FWD CX9 out of the dealership to drive in the meantime, and it is unbelievable the difference in handling.

Thanks for the info. My 4wd indicator light was flashing too. I'm in MN as well, I wonder if they got a bad shipment of vehicles. The part is expected to arrive in CA on 1/31 so I should have my CX9 back some time the first week of Feb. Although we did give them quite the laundry list of issues: AWD, pulls to the left, exterior temps not accurate, leather seats discolored.

As you know we've had some pretty cold temps here the last week. It was 14 below and the car never registered below -2.

I did get a FWD CX9 out of the dealership to drive in the meantime, and it is unbelievable the difference in handling.

Mine was a dealer trade from over in the Milwaukee, WI area so I don't think the problem is isolated to MN, but could be tied to a shipment. My 9 was manufactured in April of 07. It would be interesting to see when your's was built and the other persons as well.

Who's your dealer? Mine's Walser in Burnsville. I have to say they did a really good job for me. I took the vehicle in on Monday and had it back Wednesday and it has been running great since.

Other than the PTU/PTO I haven't had any issues with mine. I thought I might have had the left pull after it was returned from the dealer, but after driving it a few days I realized that the large tires are just sensitive to road irregularities. I found it could just as easily pull right as left depending on the road surface.

Please post back here when you get the vehicle back and let us know how you came out. Walser didn't tell me anything about the failure so I don't know specifically what went wrong with the PTU.

I got PM'd by the other person here reporting similar problems and he's in Chicago. We'll see what the cause of his problem turns out to be.

Ted

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been back to the dealership twice for unrelated issues since they replaced the PTO.

It seems to drive a lot better, but there is still quite a bit of pull in the steering. I feel like I am constantly fighting the steering wheel. Heck my Tahoe was more comfortable to drive at times than this CX9.

We bought it from Morrie's in Minnetonka. The window sticker indicates May 2007 which I'm assuming is the manufacture date.

BTW - did your gas milage improve after the PTO replacement? Mine has consistently been 13-14 mpg before and after. From reading the forums, I see I'm not the only one with low mpg.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been back to the dealership twice for unrelated issues since they replaced the PTO.

It seems to drive a lot better, but there is still quite a bit of pull in the steering. I feel like I am constantly fighting the steering wheel. Heck my Tahoe was more comfortable to drive at times than this CX9.

We bought it from Morrie's in Minnetonka. The window sticker indicates May 2007 which I'm assuming is the manufacture date.

BTW - did your gas milage improve after the PTO replacement? Mine has consistently been 13-14 mpg before and after. From reading the forums, I see I'm not the only one with low mpg.

Getting the PTO fixed appears to take time getting parts. I must have gotten lucky and got last one in North America when they fixed mine. I heard back from the other member here and he did have the same problem but it took two dealers and three weeks for him to get his fixed (first dealer blew the complaint off as being the tires).

Mine was manfactured in April so it may be there was a defective batch of PTO's received by Mazda and we got unlucky.

Mine never had the pulling problem to start with. Then when I got it back after the repair it pulled left pretty hard for several days. Then the pulling faded away as the right suspension settled back into place. They have to do a fair amount of disasembling of the right side suspension to do the repair so I'm thinking that was where the majority of the problem came from. I generally don't notice the pulling now.
But the alignment isn't 100% either. I noticed the other day backing down my driveway that the vehicle tracked towards the passengers side, rather than backing straight, with my hands off the wheel so something isn't correctly aligned, I'm just not sure which end is the problem.

What I have noticed is that the 20's are very sensitive to road irregularities and the vehicle can be made to pull both left or right depending on the road conditions.

My fuel economy has gone down some over the winter, which is normal for any vehicle, but not down that much. I'm getting around 16-17 average with mixed driving at the moment. The fact that the vehicle isn't spinning its wheels getting started now is probably helping the mileage some.
Of course, as I've mention in another thread, I'm not in the Metro TC so I don't have nearly as much heavy traffic and stop and go driving to deal with and that's likely helping too.

Ted

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back