running 16s... fitment

skabaru

:
2008 Mazda5
I have access to a free set of snow tires in 205/55/16 that I would like to use on our incoming mazda5. I realize that the 5 is based on the 3, therefore I am assuming that a 16inch wheel that fits a mazda3 will fit the mazda5 without issue?

Most of the websites are suggesting that I can only go as low as 17s, but I assume that is just their laziness, as the mazda5 comes with 16s in other (non US markets).

Is the assumption if it fits a 3 it will fit the 5 a safe assumption?

I have my winter 16 inch steel rims on my 5 right now, running 205/55-16s. They fit like a dream, but just barely clear the brakes, so 16 is the lowest you can go.

I think you're good to go...

I have my winter 16 inch steel rims on my 5 right now, running 205/55-16s. They fit like a dream, but just barely clear the brakes, so 16 is the lowest you can go.

I think you're good to go...

Coder is right. 16s are the smallest you can put on a 5. In the European and Japaneese markets, there are smaller engine options, which have even smaller brakes that make 15s possible, but the NA market got the larger brakes on all models. The 16s are a tight fit, with maybe 1/4 inch or so of clearance for the brakes. I would hate to hit a really big pothole if I have 16 is custom rims for fear of damaging the calibers. (probably unlikely, even with the tight clearance)

As far as I know, all the current Mazda cars use the same bolt patter and share a lot of the parts as well. I believe any 3 or 6 wheels should fit.

thanks for the all clear. I hadn't thought about other OEM wheels, good call. time to start a new craiglist search.

As for brake clearance to the caliper, you would have to nail a pothole really hard to actually bend the barrel of the wheel enough to damage the caliper. 1/4 of an inch is plenty.

Winter Tires

I'm running M5 16" OEM rims on an '08 M3 Sport GT which came with 17" rims.
You won't have any problems ! (iagree)

thanks for the all clear. I hadn't thought about other OEM wheels, good call. time to start a new craiglist search.

As for brake clearance to the caliper, you would have to nail a pothole really hard to actually bend the barrel of the wheel enough to damage the caliper. 1/4 of an inch is plenty.

Now that you mention it... I stumbled onto a site a while back where someone mounted a set of Nissan Maxima 16" rims on an M5. Don't have any clue what the site was, but I suppose there's another possibility.

Now that you mention it... I stumbled onto a site a while back where someone mounted a set of Nissan Maxima 16" rims on an M5. Don't have any clue what the site was, but I suppose there's another possibility.

A-Ha, I knew I've seen them somewhere way back when shopping around for my 06, Is this the one?

http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/

That's it! I remember reading it and joking that the M5 17s would look good on my Dad's Maxima. Well they'd look great on his 88 RX-7, but I'm pretty sure it a different bolt pattern and that's a different story altogether.

Hi I run 16" steel rims with snow tires on my 2008 MZ5. No problem at all.
I bought the rims from Wal-Mart. They are same spec. as 2006 and 2007 MZ3 or MZ5. CAD$56 each.

Back