Mazda accesory rear spoiler

daan

:
06 "5"
Has anyone put one of these on their 5? I like the looks of it and would like the back window to stay a little cleaner than it does now. ALl the station wagons my parents had when I was a kid had "wings" on the back window to keep them clean, I was hoping this would work the same. Plus it looks cool.

Attachments

• 06_Mazda5_RearRoofSpoiler.jpg
    06_Mazda5_RearRoofSpoiler.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 252
kinda looks like a shopping cart handle to me but whatever floats your boat i suppose

i have the factory spoiler on my Touring model and the car gets filthy back there quickly. Spoiler doesn't seem to help.

Most of the muck on the rear hatch actually comes off the rear wiper, at least that it what I've found. Perhaps we need to go with the big rear spoiler advertised on the BaysonR web-site.....
Anthony

i was on the highway few days ago and i notice the tires r kicking the water back up to the window and i have to keep on using the back wipers just to keep it clean... don't think that spoiler is gonna help much.. i have one on my GT.. but it's still dirty as hell.. i already got someone wrote on the back of my hatch "clean me, i'm brand new"

i was on the highway few days ago and i notice the tires r kicking the water back up to the window and i have to keep on using the back wipers just to keep it clean... don't think that spoiler is gonna help much.. i have one on my GT.. but it's still dirty as hell.. i already got someone wrote on the back of my hatch "clean me, i'm brand new"

What we need is a small lip spoiler that mounts mid way on the hatch. I've seen these on the Pontiac Vibe and I believe it also exists for the Mazda5, but I haven't been able to source one yet.

I think some kind of wing that attaches right to the window to point the air straight down would help, like the one in the picture. My parents had 2 wagons just like the one in the picture (78 and 80 Malibu) while I was growing up. One had a wing like this one, and the other didn't. I remember the wingless one having a constantly dirty back window, and the other one seemed to stay clean longer.

"i have the factory spoiler on my Touring model and the car gets filthy back there quickly. Spoiler doesn't seem to help."
Hey 5phreak, thank you for that info, I won't bother getting the wing then.

Attachments

• 1980_Chevrolet_Malibu_rear.jpg
    1980_Chevrolet_Malibu_rear.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I like those old school wind deflectors on the wagons, they were cool. Especially the shiney metal ones, aluminum or s.s.

one guy mentioned the muck being flung up by the rear tires. I think he's right. When I wash the car i notice the dirt seems to be wrapping around from the sides.

the spoilers on the 5 don't do a damn thing to keep the dirt off the back... it's there just for looks... i doubt the wing from bayson will keep the dirt off the back.. there's no air flow to keep the back window clean.. i'm looking for the following wings.. hopefully can find someone who can get it.. it might do the job. Damd also makes a mid wing which may help...

Attachments

• damd wing3.jpg
    damd wing3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 665
  • six color wing black.jpg
    six color wing black.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 250
  • damd wing2.jpg
    damd wing2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • rear wing.jpg
    rear wing.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 391
The large spoilers remind me of the grocery store shopping carts (boom06)

I agree, the mid wing should be the best option, the damn liftgate wiper is always on when raining or snowing. The OEM spoiler does nothing, except for the looks

Oh, and I wouldn't mind the JDM/European keyway option in the liftgate, like in the old times (dang, off-topic)

The only way a rear spoiler will help against dirt is if it is like the old school one previously mentioned or like the ones Lund and such sell for the larger SUVs and Vans. They actual catch air as it flows over the roof and sends it towards the ground. This keeps much of the dirt closer to the ground.

If anything the wing on the 5 make it worst by letting the air gain outward force to fuel the cyclone from below and create the swirl that gets our backsides this dirty.

If it does not have a void that directs air down off the roof... It won't do diddly!

This one may work?
attachment.php

Last edited:
Oh, and I wouldn't mind the JDM/European keyway option in the liftgate, like in the old times (dang, off-topic)

Absolutely! I find it really weird that the only key-hole is on the driver's door. 'Course, I've never had a car with power locks, or a key-fob unlocker before.

the spoilers on the 5 don't do a damn thing to keep the dirt off the back... it's there just for looks... i doubt the wing from bayson will keep the dirt off the back.. there's no air flow to keep the back window clean.. i'm looking for the following wings.. hopefully can find someone who can get it.. it might do the job. Damd also makes a mid wing which may help...

808mz5
If ever you go for this tell us if it works to keep the dirt off the 5s back.

Back