Question on steering with the CX-9

Hi all-

My wife and I have noticed that when the asphault is bumpy or has ruts in it, the car tends to pull either left or right. It's noticeable at lower speeds, not so much at highway speeds. It's weird for us, and was wondering if anyone else notices this.

We have an AWD GT (complete with non-working Aux jack :))

Thoughts?

Thanks.

i remember reading something about it being a known problem and a Technical Service Bulletin already issued ...

can someone provide details on what was actually done by the dealers to fix the steering issue ?

The phenomenon is called Tracking, I believe. My Audi does the same thing with its asymetrical tires (tires that have to be mounted with a certain side always facing out, due to the tire tread). Basically if there's a sort of rut in the road the car will tend to follow that rut, in effect moving side to side. I had never experienced this before the Audi.

The phenomenon has never gone away, even with different brand tires (all asymmetrical). The Audi is AWD, maybe that has something to do with it? Personally I'm blaming it on the tires, but if your tires are not asymetrical, than that blows my theory...

Thanks. The jack is not working because I have navigation and sirius (it still kills me that I cannot use it).

And Jabba - you are right about the tracking. I am not sure about asymmetrical - need to study my geometry again.

Is anyone else having the same challenges?

My Corvette and STS does this too, as well as my CX-9. In my experience it's a typical issue with wide tires.

I have navigation and sirius and a working aux jack. You just need to get the Mazda switchbox installed. It's a factory accessory to do exactly that. See this thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123679287

The switchbox is hidden away, it takes care of switching automatically; it's not like you even have to flip another switch to make things work; pressing the media button on your stereo will immediately switch inputs to the aux port, just as if you didn't have sirius. It costs about $120 or so, installation charges are up to your dealer.

Back