07 Mazdaspeed3 Motor/Trans in 03 Protege5?

Has this been done? I've got 145,000 on my 03 Protege5 and I have a lead on a 07 Mazdaspeed drivetrain.

Any and all info for the new guy would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I thought about that, I came to the conclusion that a lot of things would need to be custom.... IIRC, the 2.3 sits reverse from our 2.0's (turbo is on firewall side in 2.3). Custom motor mounts, custom DP. You also need to find out if the axle will line up.

But who knows! I know of a miata here in FL that has an RX-7 Rotary in it.

I am tempted. I found a complete drivetrain w/ harness, etc. for $1500 w/ only 4400 miles on it. Maybe I can put it in my 73 Dart Swinger if all else fails. :)

This would definately be more expensive than getting bullet proof internals made for you're stock tranny which aren't cheap either!

mazdaspeed engine for $1500.00? or $15,000.00? Cuz the 2.3 direct injection from the speed3 is very different from the regular 2.3 engine

All the 2.3s are DISI engines, direct injection...Speed and regular...

This would be a hell of a project....I don't even know if the engine would fit in the engine bay of the protege...No one on the forums has tried, so no one really knows what this would involve. Except a lot of work and a lot of money...

This would be a hell of a project....I don't even know if the engine would fit in the engine bay of the protege...No one on the forums has tried, so no one really knows what this would involve. Except a lot of work and a lot of money...

I was under the impression that there is a distinct difference between regular 2.3's and speed 2.3's. I remember the 2.3 DISI for the speed6 being heralded as a major breakthrough, two years after the first 3's hit the shelf.

I totally mis-read this thread1 I thought you were talking about swapping in a MS3 tranny only. Nevermind!

Actually the regular 2.3 is not DISI only the Speed motors are.

And for 1500 bucks you should go buy a used 5 to swap it into! Hell for 1500 I'll buy the sucker and swap it into mine, there has to be something wrong with it for that price though.....

Back