Problem: Ipod + Aux connection + Docking cigarette power adapter = squeal

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Folks,

For the folks using an ipod connected in this config (Ipod + Headphone jack to Aux connection + cigarette power adapter to docking connector), can you tell me if you are experiencing a squeal when MEDIA is selected?

I do not have NAV. I have the upgraded Bose.

It happens as long as the power is hooked up to the docking port from any of the 3 cigarette lighters. Once I disconnect the power and operate purely on ipod battery, the sound is clean. It happens even if the ipod is plugged in, but not on.

A colleague of mine speculated that it might be the BlueTooth interfering. Not sure why it doesn't happen on battery though.

Does the car have a grounding problem?

Thanks,
ZoomFive

It's a normal ground loop issue. Search for "ground loop isolator" and you'll find lots of info here about it.

The solution is a $15 isolator that you can order from Crutchfield.

It's a normal ground loop issue. Search for "ground loop isolator" and you'll find lots of info here about it.

The solution is a $15 isolator that you can order from Crutchfield.

Yes, I saw your post or someone else about the GLI, but is everyone elses doing this? I'll do it if necessary, but I am not really certain why it is necessary if working properly?

Everyone's does this, the ground-loop isolator is necessary if you run an audio device into the aux port while powered by the cigarette lighter.

Everyone's does this, the ground-loop isolator is necessary if you run an audio device into the aux port while powered by the cigarette lighter.

I see that this is widespread and I'll go pick one up. However, I do agree with a previous post.... If the car is provisioned in a manner that suggest that you can connect and power your ipod from the armrest, manufactures should just put the isolator or noise filter in. Looks like the Crutchfield GLI is the way to go.

I feel your pain as I had the same issue. I went to radioshack to get their isolator, but had to buy several converters to make it work. Finally I found the 3.5mm isolator at Crutchfeild.

The technicians at Mazda should have picked up on this issue!!! The issue lies within the multiple audio connections within the vehicle. Rather than selecting a single ground point, it seems there is an issue with multiple grounding points. By studing electrical mechanics this causes potential differences in the lines, producing electrical disturbances. I'm sure if you search on-line you might find some professor that can explain it better.

I use the Belkin Auto Kit for Ipod. It plugs into the docking connector. Then there is a 3.5mm plug on power outlet end that allows a connection to the Aux input. There is no ground loop problem at normal volmes and I only need to connect one plug to the ipod.

I use the Belkin Auto Kit for Ipod. It plugs into the docking connector. Then there is a 3.5mm plug on power outlet end that allows a connection to the Aux input. There is no ground loop problem at normal volmes and I only need to connect one plug to the ipod.

I've seen those. It is nice to only have the cables coming out of one end. I also read that the sound is cleaner coming from the docking connector.

You say at normal volumes there is no ground loop noise. Is there any volume where there is noise?

Before I put my GLI in I experienced sporadic disturbance noise. Some times it was way worse. It is a curious thing. Since I put the GLI from crutchfield in I have had no problems. I agree it may be due to different 12v adapters.

I noticed some distortion once when my daughter was playing a song at full volume. In general, the 3.5mm plug connection is not always clean either, so it could have many causes.

The sound is perfectly fine at any volume that I listen at so I did not try to investigate further.

Back