Chrome Mesh Grille

I have not heard of any, with the way the huge Mazda emblem cuts into the lower bumper it will be had to pull of a nice aftermarket grill.

I saw a mesh grille on a silver GT the other day and it looked fantastic. It would be great if Mazda offered this as an accessory (or even as part of the stock vehicle on the GT).

Last edited:
I saw a mesh grille on a silver GT the other day and it looked fantastic. It would be great if Mazda offered this as an accessory (or even as part of the stock vehicle on the GT).

Was it the top and bottom pieces or the top only?

Here is the link to the billet grill:
http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php?cat=9156

It says that the installation time is 2 hours. However, on the manufactures website it says that it only takes 30 minutes. I am really debating whether to get one or not.

If anyone is considering these, check out Jegs.com first. They have them for considerably less than the price at wooddashexperts.com. You'll need to search by the part numbers, 608412 and 608413, to find them. Wooddashexperts.com guarantee's to price match so you can either get it from Jegs.com or use their prices to get a lower price from Wooddashexperts.

Ted

Since these bolt over top of the factory grill, it seems that you can install these on a CX-9 without any disassembly. I tried over the weekend and I can reach the back side of the upper grill by reaching up through the middle opening.

My only concern now is the esthetics of installing the billet grill over top of the factory grill. Not sure how tacky that will look. First there's the black plastic grill and then there will be the billet grill mounting brackets behind that. Has anyone ever seen one of these in person - on any vehicle, not necessarily a CX-9?

WoodDashExperts allows returns, but with a 20% restocking fee plus shipping.

How would these hold up to a Chicago winter with lots of salt? Any corrosion issues? Anybody had them for a couple years?

Just heard that they are on backorder from the manufacturer for at least two weeks. Seems that Precision hasn't actually shipped any to distributors yet, they're just collecting preorders!

I'll post updates as I hear more.

Just heard that they are on backorder from the manufacturer for at least two weeks. Seems that Precision hasn't actually shipped any to distributors yet, they're just collecting preorders!

I'll post updates as I hear more.

The billet grills are now shipping. I just got my shipping notice from buyautotruckaccessories.com.

Ted

Last edited:
Yup! Got my shippin notice as well. Should be here next week. But of course I'll be out of town. Will post pictures as soon as I get a chance to install them.

Received my grilles

I received my shipment yesterday.

Unfortunately, the box with the bumper grille kit broke open during shipping and the mounting hardware kit fell out and was lost. I called Precision Grille's tech support number and they're shipping me out a replace hardware kit no questions asked - a definite positive vote for their customer service.

I was able to install the upper grille kit last night. It looks really good in person - like it was factory OEM - and is a definite improvement.
You really don't see the black grill underneath once the billet pieces are in place. There appears to be no issues with air flow restriction either. The openings in the billet grille are plenty wide so as not to hinder air movement.

The mounting is pretty simple; 3 studs per grill, flat brackets, and self locking nuts. IF your arms are small enough, long enough, and you're coordinated enough to work blind you can install the upper grilles by reaching through the bumper opening immediately underneath the grille. But for me it was a snug fit and I'm not a big person.

There is no way I can see to put the top bumper grille in without undoing the front bumper cover as the instructions state. The underlying bumper reinforcement member interferes with access from behind or below.
Fortunately, I have the service manual so I have a diagram as to how to undo the bumper cover fasteners, and there are plenty of them to undo. It's not as simple as the installation instructions would lead you to believe. This is probably an hour job to install the lower grilles if you're comfortable with assembling and disassembling things. It will take longer to undo and redo the bumper cover fasteners than to actually mount the grills.

The other thing is that the install hardware is pretty generic stuff. The studs are really long and barely clear some of the underlying framework (what they call the core mount). So once I have everything mounted in place I'm going to take my Dremel tool with a metal cutoff wheel and trim the studs down to the correct length just to avoid any collateral damage if the bumper gets lightly taged and flexes some.

Overall, I'd recommend these kits to anyone who has some basics mechanical skills and is looking to improve the front end appearance of their 9 for a reasonable price.

I'll take pictures when I get into the full scale R&R on this. By my count there are 15 fasteners to remove to get the bumper cover loose.

Ted

Last edited:
Back