Re-align steering wheel

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
Is there any way do DIY re-center the steering wheel? Not sure how its hooked up with the column. I noticed on both sides of the wheel near the column, there is a 1 or so round plug that looks removable, but didnt attempt to take it off. Kind of doubting this is possible, but just checking. The steering wheel is only off to the right by literally 1* or less, but Im anal about this. I just had a front end alignment a month or two ago, which is why Im too cheap to get it checked again when theyll probably say its fine anyway.

Just cock the wheel about 1 degree to the left and ram a curb! LOL If it handn't been so long I would say take it back and have them straighten it out (the customer is always right after all) They do make medication for that sort of behavior you know. JFWY

You could always adjust the tie-rod ends to fix the issue. So long as you adjust each side exactly the same amount, there'll be no impact on the alignment or anything else at all.

So, let's suppose the wheel is pointing slightly to the right of straight ahead when you're driving straight on a level stretch of roadway. That means when you straighten the steering wheel your wheels/tires are pointing slightly left. So, you adjust both tie rods to make the wheels point slightly right. I can't recall without looking whether the tie rod is in front of or behind the hub, so I can't tell you whether to lengthen the left side and shorten the right or the other way around. Poke your head under there and you'll see which is needed.

If you don't feel mechanically inclined, I'd suggest not taking this approach. Not that it's tough exactly, but since it's to do with steering and tire wear, I'd say don't do anything you're not comfortable with.

If you don't feel mechanically inclined, I'd suggest not taking this approach. Not that it's tough exactly, but since it's to do with steering and tire wear, I'd say don't do anything you're not comfortable with.
Bingo. Yeah if it's that complicated then I'll keep my paws off. Thanks!

Jandree

As we get older our eyes are not that exact..... leave it or when I look at your steering wheel it will be 1* off the other way man....lol

From my experience with the steering wheels, it is a spline, and if you moved it over one spline in either direction it would change ~10 degrees. So the method bulwnkl suggested is the correct way.

Back