Rock scratch on windshield

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
On the commute this morning the 5 took a healthy sized rock to the windshield @ 70MPH. It left damage, but only VERY minor a < long scratch that I can BARELY feel with my fingernail. I doubt much can be done to polish it out without risking further damage or glass distortion, and its not in my direct line of sight anyway (more up and to the left). My real question is, can any further damage occur by leaving it alone particularly with ice and cold weather? I understand a windshield chip can take in water, crack, and good-bye windshield, but like I said this is only a very shallow, cosmetic scratch.

I must have bad kharma. The first rock didnt get the job done, so God made sure the 2nd one took care of it. Good bye OEM windshield, I barely knew ya :(

What are the f&*$ing chances never had rock damage since I started driving 8 years ago, then in 2 days Im owned a second time on a separate stretch of road. Seriously, WTF.

Attachments

• rock2.JPG
    rock2.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 326
remember you can insist your insurance pays for a genuine Mazda windshield rather than the crap ppg most glass shops use.

Well I used Diamond Auto Glass (which I believe is nationwide) before on a previous car after a golf ball took care of my rear windshield. bad job, they redid it because it rattled. My boss said he had the same experience w/Diamond and had three half-assed replacements before he finally insisted on another shop. Took it to a local chain called Cindy Rowe Auto Glass… perfect the first time. Another co-worker said the same of the shop, perfect both time he used them. And their glass replacement tech won 1st place in some nation-wide competition for windshield replacements… whatever that’s worth :)

Anyway, it’s being replaced on Monday. $100 deductible, oh well… not too bad I guess.

I must have bad kharma. The first rock didn’t get the job done, so God made sure the 2nd one took care of it. Good bye OEM windshield, I barely knew ya :(

What are the f&*$ing chances… never had rock damage since I started driving 8 years ago, then in 2 days I’m owned a second time on a separate stretch of road. Seriously, WTF.

Damn, sorry about that. I know how much you like that MZ5.

It is just one of those days, no worries. On a positive note, it was the windshield (it is common to happen to any car during Winter) and not a headlight or even a huge dent on the hood ;). I've seen those and thaaat sucks even more...

Yeah it was 15*F out this morning when it happened, too. I'm not an expert on the properties of glass, but my guess is the temp couldn't have helped the situation.

You're right though... a fresh windshield is a relatively easy and pain-free repair. Just glad the deductible is only a hundred bux.

Last edited:
Yeah it was 15*F out this morning when it happened, too. I'm not an expert on the properties of glass, but my guess is the temp couldn't have helped the situation

LoL, I'm not that knowledgeable either :D. I referred to the fact that allover Penn I have seen Winter road construction like crazy (at least for the last 2-3 years) so there is gravel and debris allover, especially evenings and early mornings to take advantage of the low traffic flow. My bad ;)

The deductible for glass here in BC is $300! I have four decent rock chips after 2 years of mountain driving (lots of rocks!) and none are bad enough for me to want to drop that kind of money!

LoL, I'm not that knowledgeable either :D. I referred to the fact that allover Penn I have seen Winter road construction like crazy (at least for the last 2-3 years) so there is gravel and debris allover, especially evenings and early mornings to take advantage of the low traffic flow. My bad ;)
Yeah, I was wondering if that's what you were getting at... I'm with ya there... sort of a tradition of PA it seems. PennDOT is out of control with their budget yet they can't seem to keep respectable roadways... cross the line into Maryland and it's like butta. Truck traffic on I81/I83 doesn't help the situation either.

Sorry to hear about your windshield (encounter of rocks two days in a row), hope it's gets done right and worry free afterwards.

Christmas Eve on the way to church, we had what looked like a "scratch" that was about 1 inch long and you could barely feel. By the day after Christmas when I went out to the car it had grown to a crack of about 3 inches. By the next day, when I took my brother and his new girlfriend from China to Detroit Metro Airport in a rain storm, it had grown to a 6 inch crack!! Didn't know about being able to insist on OEM glass. Had Progressive's "preferred" company, Safe Lite install the glass. Hope it work :).

Well then I guess it's good that I'm getting it replaced anyway! It may just be my imagination, but I think the crack grew a bit just from sitting out in the cold overnight.

Windshield was swapped out the other day, so far it seems to be a tight install... no rattling, wind noise or rain leaks. Invoice showed well over $500 for the job, so glad I was covered :)

Back