FUEL cut? lowerd boost but still getting..., cpe ems lowerd from 18 psi to 15psi

zigger

Hey guys.. I'm really hoping someone here can help . About 3 weeks ago I started noticing "fuel cut" the 1st time it happennd i freeked out . I almost ate my steering wheel that's how bad it was. Anyways I spoke to a few people they said with the cold weather now here i n Canada I should lower my boost 3" tbe, TMIC spe ems , cai ect...so I lowerd my boost from 18 psi to 15 psi yjings were good for a few days and now again tonight 23F outside it happend again. Now I want to describe what is happening and maybe it's not fuel cut. Basicly if I nail it as soon as I hit heavy boiost at 4100 rpm BAM the car kicks back and the traction light (not dsc) goes off along with it.
What do u guys recomend? I spoke to my tuner he thinks maybe the spark plugs need to be changed? Please chime on this
thanks

I am not an expert in boost by any means, but I would think that 15 psi at +30 Celsius has a lot less air molecules than 15 psi at -10 Celsius. The overboost condition is happening because it is getting too much air... even at 15psi. Maybe dial it down even further? The guys at Mazda said that it was probably peaking around 18 during acceleration on cold days, so give yourself more of a buffer perhaps. Or, do like I am doing currently... DON'T STOMP ON IT IN WINTER. Hahahaha!

The explaination is not exact... cold air is denser, correct, therefore (if enogh fuel is available - which certainly is the case on these cars) more energy is created because more fuel can be burnt. This again causes more boost, as more heat and exhaust energy (driving the turbine) is created.

Now, it really depends how fuel cut is triggered. If it is triggered by "boost" then 18 psi is 18 psi, no matter what the ambient temperatures are. If it is triggered by air mass sensor signal though, then it's another story. However I am starting to lose arguments here, so maybe someone else can take over. :D

Another piece of the puzzle that may help with an explanation... Mazda Tech said that any Down Pipe modification may cause this overboost condition.

my suggestion would be to throw the oem intake setup on..i have read allot on this issue..and hear some people putting the oem intake back on and not having issues w/ fuel cut during winter months.

I hit fuel cut once when i had the ets tmic, fujita cai & su test pipe on the car. My boost guage was reading 16psi at the time..and the amb temp was 30 degrees according out the indash temp gauge.

-C

I had that same suggestion from the Mazda tech I took my car to. So far with less-than-spirited driving, I have not experienced fuel cut. So I may forgo the extra work to put the stocker back on, and just wait till it gets warm out again.

Back