Which MT shift knob for the Mazda5?

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
I've seen several posts/pics but I guess I would like to ponder which one is/looks best. I now drive one full-time so I can start changing some cheap things...

This is what I've reckoned so far:

• Mazda3/Mazda6 Leather (blue or gray combination)
  • TWM Performance (weighted), brushed alum finish (Type R is OK)
  • KartBoy, brush alum w/ black center.

No need for the short shifter, just a change of knob, it starts looking boring...

Thanks guys,

Corksport has 3 good choices.

Knobs_AutoExe_Carbon_Fiber_Knob.jpg

Knobs_MAZDASPEED_Carbon_or_wood_look_shift_knob.jpg

Knobs_MAZDASPEED_Leather_shift_knob_recommended_for_short_shift_kit.jpg

On my Miata I had the wooden version of the Momo Super Anatomic knob, this black leather knob has been discontinued but is still widely available. It doesn't come with a threaded adapter.

momo_superANA.jpg

It doesn't come with a threaded adapter.

Personally, I'd stick with a threaded knob. Set screws don't hold very long and end up thrashing your shift shaft.

I had a Momo with set screws on my '94 Miata and ended up removing that and installing a Mazdaspeed knob from Japan.

I bought the Mazdaspeed carbon-look from Corksport for my MZ5 and I am very pleased.

Yes, the set screws were a serious pain - I ended up getting a threaded insert for the Momo which required Loctite for a good fit.

Thanks for the input so far! I'm leaning towards any of the MazdaSpeed ones... but I'll give it a good thought to all.

Yeah, I may need to get one with threaded adapter for easy-screw-unscrew. If wife wants to swap cars one of these days, she won't get the cool stuff :D

I went for the leather MazdaSpeed one. Ordered days ago and it just arrived today.

I like it, it feels really comfortable (especially as the Sports here have no leather whatsoever). It is not a weighted one but is a little bit heavier so helps the shifting.

The manual says that it adds 14hp. I'll put a sticker soon to add 2-3hp more (rlaugh)

The vendor rhymes with Cork Sport. Very helpful and nice to deal with.

(drive)

Attachments

• mazda5_mazdaspeed_shift_knob_00.jpg
    mazda5_mazdaspeed_shift_knob_00.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 194
  • mazda5_mazdaspeed_shift_knob_01.jpg
    mazda5_mazdaspeed_shift_knob_01.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 166
  • mazda5_mazdaspeed_shift_knob_02.jpg
    mazda5_mazdaspeed_shift_knob_02.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 183
I have the Touring leather steering wheel if you are interested in making the full transition to leather.

Thanks HotRod, Could you PM more detail$$?. The only thing is that I just emptied my coffers getting the rack and the Thule cargo box, so I might not be able to do anything soon :(

Back