Impressions of my CX-9 GT on the 1st full day of ownership

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Well... after 1st day of ownership, my random impressions are as follows:

- It's bigger than anything that I have owned and it drives like it.
- It is not as easy to just pick any parking lot space, as the CX-9 may not leave too much clearance with the adjacent vehicles.
- The thing drinks gas like it was free.
- It's amazing how you cannot see small vehicles immediately to the right or behind you.
- Generally screwed together well, but not built like a tank.
- The seat bottom feel a little too soft after an hour of driving.
- The Bose is great with a CD. Ok with the radio.
- General amenities are nice.
- Having to keep a separate in car phonebook than the one on my phone is annoying.
- Growing to like the keyless, but dislike the form factor of the card.
- Unique material of the carpet under the mats makes me curious.
- Headrests would be better if they articulated.
- Passenger seat would be better if it matched the driver's seat adjustability.
- I may miss the lower seating position of my other cars. It's weird to sit so high.
- Acceleration in general is not impressive, but good relative to weight.
- Braking seeks fine.
- Location of the child seat tether strap anchors are poor and limited only for the 2nd row. My Britax Marathon strap is short by 2 inches.
- The 20" wheels cosntantly make the suspension a little jittery and will hop over certain bumps. Not sure how much handling they add. Looks nice though.
- When putting on seat belt on the front with coats on, every person (incl myself) taps the aluminum plastic trim strip on the console that is right next to where you click the seat belt into. Wonder if it will scratch over time.
- The paint is nice, bit not certain if it will stand up to chipping or scratching.
- Interior could use a little more compartments for storage.
- Lacks a running board accessory.
- Headlights, especially with HID, needs headlamp washers.
- Looks generally nice from all angles. Front is the least appealing angle.
- Drives like a mix between an Oddesey and the last X5.

Well, that's it for now. More to come.

- ZoomFive

Happy? or Unhappy?

ZoomFive, After pointing out all the little nits that bother you, what possessed you to buy the car in the first place? You didn't say if you are happy with your purchase or not? We love our CX-9 GT! None of what bothers you bothers us. We focus on the positives, but thanks for the update! (2thumbs)

ZoomFive, I have to agree with lazyace13, you don't sound like a happy owner?? As far as it driving big, I couldn't disagree more. I had a Nissan Murano before the CX-9 and the Nissan felt bigger even though the CX-9 is 12" longer. So far I don't really have anything negative to say about my purchase.

Zooom 5

Why would you even waste your time bitching about everything. Do you homework before you buy, then you should be happy with your purchase.

I mean, been kinda objective I have to say that is definitely a huge list of dislikes..... I kinda agree with a couple of them, but I have great pride and satisfaction with my cx-9...so in conclusion I feel pity for u man, u are indeed very disatisfied and should have bought another car, too bad is just too late to change it withouth a big cash penalty , u have been (idhitit)

Next time, choose your car with more detail, with more time, and youll be happy like the rest of us...... (usa)

seriously, I don't understand how someone with a new vehicle has genrally only negative things to say about it after the first day. Did you even drive the car before you bought it? Seems like most of your gripes could be seen/felt/noticed by a test drive and looking in the car. I sure hope I have more posative things to say when I buy my first new car.

seriously, I don't understand how someone with a new vehicle has genrally only negative things to say about it after the first day. Did you even drive the car before you bought it? Seems like most of your gripes could be seen/felt/noticed by a test drive and looking in the car. I sure hope I have more posative things to say when I buy my first new car.

Well, learning from others people mistakes, sure can help u!!! :)

(hand)

Relax people... I am happy with the car overall and that is why I bought it.

I was noting things that I knew before I ordered the car in October and some things that were just undisputable about the size. These did not impede me from buying, but I was offering confirmation for future buyers or soliciting general comments from current owners.

You guys really do suck following suit with each other to slam me on my comments. It's like you guys decided to line up and say "yeah... he's listed some stuff that he didn't like, let's get him". Been a member of this forum since 2002 and it is 1st time I've been served up. Not deserved.

~ What possessed you to buy the car in the first place...
~ Do your homework...
~ waste your time bitching...
~ +100!!...
~ Next time, choose your car with more detail...
~ Did you even drive the car before you bought it...

You can like the car and buy the car, but do you never want to speak about the nits and the likes? By the way, I like the car more today than yesterday, but maybe more or less tomorrow. Real nice, people...

If you are very unhappy with your 20" rims/tires and the ride, I would be more than happy to swap my 18" rims/tires with you. Only 2K miles, and i'm 25miles from NYC. :)

I think you can like a car and still have plenty of nits to pick. I love my P5 but the thing is a rattle trap! Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it though.

If you are very unhappy with your 20" rims/tires and the ride, I would be more than happy to swap my 18" rims/tires with you. Only 2K miles, and i'm 25miles from NYC. :)

:) Thanks for the offer. The finish on the 20" wheels is great with decent ride quality. I am sure in time, someone will want to part with theirs. Good luck.

I think you can like a car and still have plenty of nits to pick. I love my P5 but the thing is a rattle trap! Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it though.

I very much liked my P5 too. It was simple, sporty, reliable, practical, and looked good in black. Pretty much depending on weather, the car clutch action would be smooth or jerky. But when it was smooth, it was good.

What's rattling on yours?

I love our CX-9, but I have to agree with many of the items on ZoomFive's list. Little things that could have been done just a little bit better, though I'm sure the cost would rapidly add up.

The biggest issue I have is being able to judge where the back of the vehicle is (no problem with the front). Having driven a number of vehicles (innumerable rentals), both larger and smaller, I find this one the hardest to judge. When I first got it, I assumed I would just need some time to get used to it. But after 15K miles, I'm still pretty bad. Normally I can place the front or rear bumper within a few inches of my target. With the CX-9, I'm often off by 2 feet.

I've never considered getting a rear camera before, but this is one vehicle that I wish had one. I'm not yet ready to spring for the option, as I'm still hoping that I'll get better. We'll see!

I love our CX-9, but I have to agree with many of the items on ZoomFive's list. Little things that could have been done just a little bit better, though I'm sure the cost would rapidly add up.

The biggest issue I have is being able to judge where the back of the vehicle is (no problem with the front). Having driven a number of vehicles (innumerable rentals), both larger and smaller, I find this one the hardest to judge. When I first got it, I assumed I would just need some time to get used to it. But after 15K miles, I'm still pretty bad. Normally I can place the front or rear bumper within a few inches of my target. With the CX-9, I'm often off by 2 feet.

I've never considered getting a rear camera before, but this is one vehicle that I wish had one. I'm not yet ready to spring for the option, as I'm still hoping that I'll get better. We'll see!

I have the backup camera with the display built into the mirror. Using that, rolling down my window/sticking my head out, and turning around/looking backwards in the car are now part of the MO when parking.

For a guy who hasn't beached a car in ages, I did so on the second day of ownership. It was one of those "I think I've gone up the curb. Hmmm.". I wish the passenger mirror would dip when parking in reverse like on BMWs.

It will take time, but I am sure that I'll get the hang of it. I recommend the backup camera in the mirror for you. I think it can be retrofit.

ZoomFive

I really like my CX-9 so far, but also agree with some of the issues that were pointed out by the OP. However, I've never owned a car that did everything exactly the way I wanted, but I learned to "adjust" to it's idiosyncrities. As for the backing up thing, I had a '95 GMC Sirerra with an 8' bed and topper before getting the CX-9, so I had plenty of practice trying to back a big vehicle with limited visibility into a parking space. After a few years it isn't too difficult... (wink) I actually have a worse time trying to back my wife's Camry into a spot than the CX-9!

Anyway, try to enjoy the good stuff about your new car and tolerate the minor design flaws (like the center console that seems an inch too high and a few inches too wide, IMHO). Maybe a future version will fix some of these things.

Good Luck!

I definately don't have any of the same issues that you are having. I don't drive this car that often as its my wife's but when I do drive it, its damn nice. As far as parking, the rear view camera that pops up on the navi screen is perfect. I've never had a problem parking using that camera, it helps a ton. Also that keycard is awesome...first time I've had keyless.

2008 CX-9 GT

I definately don't have any of the same issues that you are having. I don't drive this car that often as its my wife's but when I do drive it, its damn nice. As far as parking, the rear view camera that pops up on the navi screen is perfect. I've never had a problem parking using that camera, it helps a ton. Also that keycard is awesome...first time I've had keyless.

2008 CX-9 GT

I really like the keyless too. If Mazda wanted to really go all the way with it, they would have put the little exterior button on all door handles, including the liftgate. Many Infiniti and Lexus cars have this. I walked up to the liftgate with some packages and this would have helped.

I really like the keyless too. If Mazda wanted to really go all the way with it, they would have put the little exterior button on all door handles, including the liftgate. Many Infiniti and Lexus cars have this. I walked up to the liftgate with some packages and this would have helped.

There is a button on the lift gate for the smart key.

Back