The carpet under the mats...

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
I know that this has been discussed, the carpet under the mats IS really cheap. It is so different that must have done that on purpose for a reason other than costs cutting.

I just picked up my CX-9. SO far, I like it. But what is up with that carpet?

Not only that, but the mats wear pretty quickly as well. I'm already starting to get a "bald spot" under my right heel (15K miles).

I guess I'll wear them out and replace them with a good set of custom mats.

Not only that, but the mats wear pretty quickly as well. I'm already starting to get a "bald spot" under my right heel (15K miles).

I guess I'll wear them out and replace them with a good set of custom mats.

I noticed that after 2 hours of use. Very annoying that things are so cheap. Did they think that no one would comment or notice? What else did they skimp on I wonder?

I know that this has been discussed, the carpet under the mats IS really cheap. It is so different that must have done that on purpose for a reason other than costs cutting.

I just picked up my CX-9. SO far, I like it. But what is up with that carpet?

Ford uses similar stuff on the Freestyle/Taurus X. My guess is that they think this stuff is easier to clean than normal carpet and more appropriate for off road/SUV/CUV applications. It's more like a backed felt than carpet.

I mentioned the "cheapness" of it on my satisfaction survey along with the lack of memory outside mirrors, trip computer, and so forth as a perceived shortcomings of the vehicle.

It will be interesting to see if they make changes based on customer feedback.

Ted

Ford uses similar stuff on the Freestyle/Taurus X. My guess is that they think this stuff is easier to clean than normal carpet and more appropriate for off road/SUV/CUV applications. It's more like a backed felt than carpet.

I mentioned the "cheapness" of it on my satisfaction survey along with the lack of memory outside mirrors, trip computer, and so forth as a perceived shortcomings of the vehicle.

It will be interesting to see if they make changes based on customer feedback.

Ted

Would it be easier to clean? I was wondering about how to go about vacuuming or shampooing it in the future.

Easier to clean

It is easier to vacuum than typical carpet where junk can get down into the knap and is hard to get out. I haven't had to clean the stuff yet so I can't say if it cleans up more easily than carpet does, but I'd think it would.

I just wouldn't use any real stiff brushes on it or scrub on it hard.

Ted

Looking at ours, my guess is that they downgraded the carpet because the floor mat system is standard and a lot more integrated, thus becoming the CX9's carpet. Just a guess.

Back