auto headlight sensitivity

bill42

:
CX-9 GT
My headlights turn on all the time in auto mode, way before dusk.
Is the sensor on the rearview mirror or is it on the dash? Because I see a little sensor on the dash on the left side, and directly above it is the registration sticker that you have to have on the windshield in NY right next to the emissions sticker. It may be that my sticker is hiding most of the sunlight?

But on my other car the sensor is in the mirror, so I am hoping this is the case with the CX-9. If so, perhaps the dealer has a way of adjusting the sensitivity.

According to the manual, the light sensor and rain sensor are both on the windshield in front of the mirror mounting point. I think I read in another forum that your dealer may be able to adjust the sensitivity.

Thanks. I thought I read that too a while back and you confirmed it. Now I think the bubble on the dash is an ambient light sensor for the climate control. My volvo has a similar bubble and it has no auto headlights.

I hope the dealer really can adjust the headlights. I like the dash and NAV to dim automatically at night, and if the lights go on in the day, it is hard to see the NAV screen when it dims. If one has to push the brightness button on the Dash every time it gets dark, that kind of defeats the point of "auto" lights somewhat.

According to Page 09-18-28 of 2007 Workshop Manual the Auto Light Illumination Level setting procedure is the following:

Auto Light Illumination Level Setting

CAUTION:
If any of the following occurs, the sensitivity cannot be set properly. Therefore, resume from Step 1.
Each procedure and operation interval exceeds 5s
Procedures are performed incorrectly.

NOTE:
Perform the procedure in a condition that allows verification of the headlight illumination because it is necessary to verify the setting condition according to the number of times headlights turn on.

1.)Turn the ignition switch to the ON position with the light switch in the OFF position and pulled back (Flash-to-pass ON)
2.)Switch the light switch from the OFF to the TNS position five times and return it to the OFF position
3.)Pull the light switch back once (Flash-to-pass ON)
4.)Turn the light switch to the TNS position
5.)Switch the light switch from the TNS to ON position five times and return it to the TNS position
6.)Turn the light switch to the ON position
7.)Switch the light switch from the ON to AUTO position five times and return it to the ON position
8.)Turn the light switch to the TNS position

NOTE:
Switches to the sensitivity setting mode when the above operations are performed

The headlights turn on for the number of times according to the current setting conditions
i. Illumination (Two times): Standard Sensitivity

ii. Illumination (Three Times): Low sensitivity
9.)Switch the sensitivity by pulling the light switch back (Flash-to-pass ON)

10.)Verify the number of times the headlights turn on and that the sensitivity is set properly.
i. Illumination (Two times): Standard Sensitivity

ii. Illumination (Three Times): Low sensitivity

Thanks!

Wow, this is the best example of why I love forums. Thank you OMF. It looks like I can set the lights to low sensitivity myself and that should solve my problem.

May I ask how you got this Workshop manual in PDF format? How can I go about getting this manual? I imagine there must be many more car preferences that you can customize yourself.

"TNS" position

Good question Tom!

Dont know what this TLA TNS stands for, but it must be a Mazda lingo for sure...

TNS is one of the four positions of the headlight switch between OFF and HEAD.
In other words when you turn the headlight switch the sequence is OFF TNS HEAD AUTO.

When the headlight switch in TNS position it energizes the TNS relay which directs voltage to exterior lamps (such as taillights, parking lights, license plate lights, side marker lights) and also to interior illumination and dashboard.

TNS.jpg

Oh yes, I recall seeing that a while back before I knew I was getting a CX-9. Thanks for reposting the link. (and for creating the excel file)
So, you don't have the manuals as PDFs... that means you typed in that entire auto headlight setting instruction set? Complete with a scanned diagram of the headlight stalk? And a chart with red arrows with drop shadows too. Impressive.

Has anybody had success with this procedure?
I have tried it many times and cannot get it to work. (no headlight flashes indicating that I have entered program mode)

I have tried it many times and cannot get it to work. (no headlight flashes indicating that I have entered program mode)

CAUTION:
If any of the following occurs, the sensitivity cannot be set properly. Therefore, resume from Step 1.

Each procedure and operation interval exceeds 5s

Procedures are performed incorrectly.

so perhaps my switching back and forth 5x wasn't fast enough? I will try again and post my findings...

still no luck.
Have the procedure memorized and I did it very fast. When you finish, the lights should flash twice by themselves, right? (if they are set to factory settings)

Strange how after the first set of rapid 5x switching you flash-to-pass, but you don't flash after the 2nd and 3rd rapid 5x switching. Could there be any steps left out? (It is always easier to blame the procedure than accept User Error ;-)

OK, I've tried this over a dozen times and cannot get it to work. Question on step 1, after your turn the ignition to ON and have the Flash pulled, do you let go of the Flash and proceed to step 2? Also, on 2 occasions at the begining of step 2 I must have enter some kind of audio speaker test mode that played very loud tones from several speakers and displayed 1 through 7 with a Yes or No on the center display. Any thoughts on this and how to get the light sensitivity to work.

travelinMan,
I too have tried it a dozen times with no luck. I am pretty sure you are correct that you must release the Flash-to-Pass after being pulled in step one. Once you get used to the steps they really are pretty simple. What gives?
I will be going to the dealer soon to have my remote start replaced. I will ask them to change the headlight sensitivity and also ask for any details on what we are doing wrong.

I haven't seen the strange audio test.

Thanks go to OMF for posting the pdf. How much did the SM cost? Is there a p/n

Thanks go to OMF for posting the pdf. How much did the SM cost? Is there a p/n

2007 CX-9 Workshop Manual: 9999-95-003B-07
2007 CX-9 Wiring Diagram: 9999-95-009G-07

Got mine from www.onlinemazdaparts.com
You can call Justin at 877.536.2932 or use the following link directly to the manuals http://tinyurl.com/2evzrt

Prices were $150 + $70 with free s/h. Took a little over two weeks to get them (they are not a stocked item, but he had no problem getting them).

Back to the auto lights-
I wonder, could there be a more complex system that turns the lights on when the car is cold? On my car, the headlights go on every single time I turn it on when it is cold. For instance, I just checked it now at 2 o'clock in the middle of the day, and they go on. Once I drive for a few minutes, they go off. But then, if I shut the car off and then back on, they stay off unlike when the car was cold.
This is either a side effect or a feature, but I don't like it because I have to keep messing with the dash light button to see the NAV screen, and then hit it again to dim the screen at night.

can someone try this on their car?

Any chance there's frost on the windshield over the light sensor? That definitely causes mine to turn on.

Back