Bent front control arm

:
'15 6, '06 5
So, my wife called this PM to tell me that she'd hit a curb in today's snow. She hit it HARD because the front lower control arm is waaayy bent. There's no dealer nearby so it's at a local alignment shop and they think only the control arm's bent. What do you all think? What's the likelihood that only the control arm's bent? Is the strut likely to be OK? The sub-frame? The wheel?

Alignment or frame? Ordered the lower control arm yesterday and I hope it'll be here Friday. The shop said they want to replace that arm, put it on the alignment rack, and see what's what. I can't argue with that course of action so I guess that's what I'll do.

Well, they replaced the control arm and did an alignment. Things were not quite within spec up front after replacing the control arm, so I suppose that means that other things are slightly tweaked. However, it wasn't far out and was easily adjusted back into factory spec, so I'm not buying more parts right now.

Trouble is, there's a decent shake in the steering wheel on the highway/freeway. So, I think that wheel's probably bent, too. :(

Im sorry man. You should grab an extra wheel around here or ebay when you can... But before you order one you should sarcastically take a shot at the wife by asking her "Hey im gonna order another wheel to fix the one you bent. While I am at it do I need to order any more so I can save on shipping?"

Doh! So do you know what direction the car hit the curb? What I mean is was it like a sideways slide into the curb, or front on into the curb?

I do have a bare wheel, and 3 wheels with the stock 30k worn toyos on them available.(poke)

Well, they replaced the control arm and did an alignment. Things were not quite within spec up front after replacing the control arm, so I suppose that means that other things are slightly tweaked. However, it wasn't far out and was easily adjusted back into factory spec, so I'm not buying more parts right now.

Trouble is, there's a decent shake in the steering wheel on the highway/freeway. So, I think that wheel's probably bent, too. :(

I know from the Mazda 3's when we had an ice storm as many as 15 cars needed lower control arms because of the curb hits. Some also needed a wheel bearing as it was damaged also. Lastly a rim is easy to rule out by rotating the rims to see if it leaves the steering wheel feel.

Hope that helps

She didn't think the 'save on shipping' thing was funny, but I was amused enough to mention that you'd posted it, fam!

Mazdadude, she hit the curb when turning left from a well-salted street onto an un-salted street. It's not clear whether the wheels were turned upon impact or not, but they must've been pretty straight because there's no chunk out of the rim.

Thanks for the offer of wheel(s). I may need to take you up on that, but won't know until the weekend probably when I have a chance to either rotate the tires or take it back to the shop and have them put the wheel on the balancer and watch it.

I appreciate the help, Z5Z, though I could've done without the reminder that the bearing might be damaged. :( Any specific symptoms of bearing damage?

I had a bearing go out in the mazda3 with about 21k miles on it.
Vibration like bad alignment, then tire roar...wheel then will shake at certain speeds...thought i had a bad tire\alignment...the guy put it in the air and spun the tires by hand, he told me to feel the strut, on the good side you couldnt feel any vibration on the strut when it spun, the other side you could feel all kinds of vibration on the strut and sure enough, the bearing was bad...took it to mazda and they replaced it, fixed a dent (that part cost me money) and gave me a free 07 mustang for the day.

OK, so this morning I was looking at the front end of the 5 and realized that there was some significant ice/sand/crap buildup on the RF rim (the one that took the hit). Cleaning it up I can see that something's still BENT. I'm almost hoping it's the wheel because I fear for the cost and timing of fixing the hub/bearing/spindle/axle/whatever. I'm hoping to get a shop to look at it now. I sure wish I knew the shops here to know who's worth a darn mechanic-wise...

FOLLOW-UP: It appears it may only be the rim. Took one off the rear and mounted it up front and it spins dead straight as far as I can see. Took the mashed one to the rear and it's still very bent/mashed sideways. At the same time, I noticed a strange sound from the RR corner. It sounds like I could have a wheel bearing going on that corner. Now, the car never got that far in the crash the other day, so it'd be a coincidental issue, but it's still a pain.

Last edited:
Back