questions before I buy, tire chains and hitch

dmac156

I'm considering selling my '04 Explorer and buying a CX-9. I drove one last night and was very impressed, but I have 2 questions.

I like the Sport version because it has everything I need, however you can't get a trailer hitch on it. So the first question is; do the after market hitches work out okay on this vehicle. I just need the hitch for a utility trailer and a hitch mounted bike rack (2").

The second question is around using tire chains. I don't think they make tire chains for the 18" wheels that come the sport. Uhmmmm, isn't this supposed to be a sport utility vehicle??? I actually drive my SUV in the snow quite a bit in the winter (Oregon), and there are times that you need chains in the mountain passes or when we get ice storms. So, can I get chains??

Check the Accessories thread for the 2" hitch. Good info on good hitches there.

Mazda does not allow tire chains on the 20" wheels, so the 18" wheels that you are considering are the only option for use with chains. Can't help you on a source for the actual chains.

Are you planning to get the AWD version? If so, do you really need more than AWD with real snow tires? Just curious...

Thanks for the response. It looks like I would be in good shape on the hitch. Someone has a post out there that links to a video that shows them installing a hitch on a 2008 Sport.

I am looking at the AWD, and I have not used chains on my '04 Explorer 4WD, but you have to have chains (that fit your car) in order to cross the passes in Oregon and Washington. Plus we get freezing rain out here about once a year, like the kind that literally puts and inch of ice on everthing. You are basically trapped in your house if you don't have chains, or it you were not at your house when it started, you will not get home. AWD does not help on ice. Studded snows would work also.

It's not a huge deal, but again it seems crazy to sell and AWD SUV that is not suited for real bad weather driving. Everything else on the CX-9 looks great and very well designed. I'll probably buy one.

For the NW folk, while Mazda may not like it, I was able to pick up a set of chains that fit from Les Schwab this weekend. They don't stock anything specifically designed for the 245/50-20's on the GT but they were able to find a set that fit well.

Reply and I can find out the stock number etc...

Where is the information about not using chains on the 20 inch wheels?

Also, what is the part number on the chains you picked up?

It makes sense that chains cannot be used on the 20" rims as they might make contact with the wheel hub during higher wheel rev.

Back