Mazda5 suspension geometry the same as the Mazda3?

chimchim

I know that the wheel base is stretched and widened, but does it have the same suspension geometry as the Mazda3?

Both seem to have the Macpherson front and Multilink rear. The pictures appear to be similar.

I'm wondering if the Mazda5 will handle like a big tall Mazda3, since they are build on the same platform.

The Mazdaspeed shocks share the same part number between the MZ3 and MZ5 in Japan.

Because of the additional weight of the MZ5, the springs are different.

Do all the other suspension parts cross over? Not sure. But I'd think that MZ5 swaybars would be slightly stiffer than MZ3 bars.

I also suspect that there is some negative camber built into our rear suspensions to compensate for the additional rear weight and improve handling.

I know that the wheel base is stretched and widened, but does it have the same suspension geometry as the Mazda3?

Both seem to have the Macpherson front and Multilink rear. The pictures appear to be similar.

I'm wondering if the Mazda5 will handle like a big tall Mazda3, since they are build on the same platform.

The 5 kinda handles like a tall, heave 3. I have a loaner 3i 2.0L for a week while the 5 was in the shop. The 3 is noticeably quicker and has a much faster turn in. The 5 really leans into a corner, but does seem to hold pretty well. The big difference I feel is that you sit up higher in the 5, so the feeling is very different, though the handling is not terribly far off.

I would imagine that the 5 wouldn't do too well in an autocross situation, but probably handles closer to a 3 in maneuvers at speed. There is just a lot of extra weight sitting at a higher center of gravity to throw around.

Although I have to wonder if a 3 with the extra weight wouldn't be too different from the 5.

Latest posts

Back