Cx-9 Throttle Problems

After careful research for an AWD CX-9, I bought a new 2007 one week ago. I had immediate problems with the throttle shutting down, leaving NO POWER while driving up the road leading to my home. The climb is from 2,200 feet to 3,500 feet over a 1.5 mile uphill paved road, not overly steep. This happened several times and after taking the car to the service department here in Asheville it tested OK. The SERVICE MANAGER and the Mazda technician came out and drove the car up the mountain and experienced the same problem, throttle shutting down and no power. They brought a new 2008 CX-9 out and experienced the same exact problem.

I am told that the the transmission was filled to the proper level and with the proper fluid, so that is not the problem. I have gone up and down this mountain for 20 years in all kinds of vehicles, including 4 cylinder cars and have had no problems. The car is unsafe when the throttle shuts down going up a hill. Has anyone heard of this problem?

I'm trying to think what stresses the car when going up hills:

1. Clogged fuel filter - unlikely, you'd probably feel it on level roads
2. Bad fuel injector - again, you'd probably feel it on level roads
3. Some clog in the catalytic converter/exhaust. I had this on a previous car, but I felt it all the time, i.e. the car would not accelerate past 55 mph.

And finally,
4. Transmission:
(a) Is the fluid topped off correctly?
(b) Are you sure the correct fluid is in there? Maybe get the dealer to flush and refill.

The transmission could be slipping (maybe the torque converter, who knows...), but it could all be related to the fluid. I'd get that flushed out, since both cars from the same dealer have the problem. Maybe someone at the dealership screwed up when topping off fluids--they really might believe everything's okay, but they screwed up inadvertedly.

After careful research for an AWD CX-9, I bought a new 2007 one week ago. I had immediate problems with the throttle shutting down, leaving NO POWER while driving up the road leading to my home. The climb is from 2,200 feet to 3,500 feet over a 1.5 mile uphill paved road, not overly steep. This happened several times and after taking the car to the service department here in Asheville it tested OK. The SERVICE MANAGER and the Mazda technician came out and drove the car up the mountain and experienced the same problem, throttle shutting down and no power. They brought a new 2008 CX-9 out and experienced the same exact problem.

I am told that the the transmission was filled to the proper level and with the proper fluid, so that is not the problem. I have gone up and down this mountain for 20 years in all kinds of vehicles, including 4 cylinder cars and have had no problems. The car is unsafe when the throttle shuts down going up a hill. Has anyone heard of this problem?

If it was not for it happening on the same hill and not all the time, I would point you toward the transmission as well. When you loose power is the engine racing, i.e. revs at 4-5000 but your not going anywhere. This is what happened to me, it started intermittently on one day and the next was a total loss of power. Turned out to be a bad transmission. I would still have them check the tranny especially if its happening on a hill load only.

same thing happened on another cx-9? that is bad news - doesn't sound like anything is out of spec for yours, but rather there is a design flaw for the vehicle... man that sucks... have they contacted the regional mazda rep? the solution for this will likely come from Mazda engineers, not a dealer's service dept.

good luck, will be curious to hear the rest of the story.

Sounds to me like there must be some sort of issue with the High Altitude compensator (HAC) regulating fuel to air ratios. Very strange that two vehicles did it though!!!

Engineers coming out week of 12/10/07 to drive the mountain. In the mean time, they gave ne a nice replacement vehicle to drive until problem is resolved. It probably is a design flaw.

Although we are not that high up, the climb is fairly steep with curves. Since 2 vehcles did it, it is probably a design flaw but will know more after the engineers drive the mountain.

You mean this week, cool, let us know what they found, it's probably a problem with a batch of CX-9's, I have no problems here in woodland hills going up the hills here. It's a 2008 sport FWD.

Cx-9 Throttle Problems In Mountains

Engineers came out and drove the mountain with 2 CX-9's. They believe it is a design flaw. I continue to drive a loaner vehicle, Mazda has been great and they are working on the problem.

This Will Be My Last Report On This Problem. The Cx-9 Has A Problem On Steeper Roads (these Are Paved Roads). The Throttle Shuts Down And There Is No Power. It Does Not Happen All The Time. I Am Told By The Transmission Man That Road In The Vehicles, Along With The Mazda Engineer And All Their Equipment, That The Transmission Senses It To Be Too Hot And That Is Why It Shuts Down. It Actually Does It At Slower Speeds (heats Up), Which Is The Opposite Of What I Would Think. It Does It In Regular Gear And Manual 2 And 3. It Takes A Few Minutes To Cool Down. So Be Careful If You Are Traveling On A Steep Grade.

Up Until Today, Mazda Has Provided Me With A Loaner Car And Kept The Cx-9. Today, They Informed Me That That Is Just The Way This Model Operates And It Is In All Their Cx-9's. I Was Also Told That It Is My Problem And They Have No Intentions Of Fixing It Or Giving Me My Money Back. I Was Told That It Is Just Too Bad.

Up Until Today I Trusted Mazda. For All You Mazda Apologists, This Problem Exist On All Cx-9's Both 2007 And 2008, No Ifs, Ands Or Buts. I Just Wanted An Awd Vehicle That Got Me To My Home, This Model Does Not Cut It. I Have Lived Here 20 Years, Driven The Cheapest Of Cheap 4 Cylinder Vehicles Up And Down The Mountain And Never Had A Problem.

You Will Be Reading More About This As I Will Be Doing Whatever It Takes To Go After Mazda, Making This Problem Public, Tv, Newspaper, Whatever It Takes, As I Am Very Disappointed, I Thought Mazda Was Reputable, Another Lesson In Life.

Not to make an excuse for Mazda's behaviour, but 1300' in 1.5 miles is an average of over 16%. That's way steeper than most people will ever encounter. Short sections, even at over 20%, wouldn't cause the heat buildup that seems to be the problem. Undoubtedly that's why it didn't turn up in their testing.

Just curious. I assume you don't have the towing package with the aux trans cooler? Wonder if that would make a difference. Would adding an aftermarket trans cooler help your problem?

I'm in no way trying to imply that it's your fault or your problem. It isn't. Clearly Mazda should fix your situation, even if they can't / won't modify the CX-9. Start with the dealer. If they won't work with you, make as big a fuss as you can. Neither they nor Mazda want to see "SUV of the Year has major flaw!" splashed all over the headlines.

Thanks for your input. I was driving the car on several of the test runs with the 2 engineers and all their equipment. It is actually 900 feet up in 1.7 miles. The problem actually occurs in grades at about 10% and up. I have driven these roads for 20 years with cheap 4 cylinder cars and NEVER had a problem. The car is a great car, it is a design flaw, MAZDA admits that. They just do not want to take responsibiltiy for it, which is very disappointing.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that was the outcome.

I am guessing this problem should be covered under your state's lemon law. You may be headed for arbitration should Mazda want to dig in its heals. Clearly, the ability to travel a paved road certified for public use is not outside the normal parameters of operation for a vehicle, so you should have a very good case.

Get your money back. They are stupid businessmen not to simply do this for you and make you go away. You need to climb the ladder to get to the person at Mazda who can write a check.

As for the problem, I am pretty sure there's nothing to be done apart from seriously reprogramming or redesigning the tranny or substituting a new one. My guess is that Mazda has decided that the percentage of people suffering this issue will be very small and not worth the expense of finding a remedy. Sad, but I understand the business logic.

As you know, car manufacturers are legendary for making this type of decision. Having just dumped a 7-series BMW when buying my CX-9, I can tell you that your problem is minor compared to people having to spend thousands on problems known to exist in a "flagship" automobile costing double the CX-9. I know, small consolation to hear you're not alone.

Good luck in your fight.

Latest posts

Back