tore a tire

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
Damn it, first time I ever did this... maybe it was the lack of sleep getting up at 5AM for damn Black Friday. I decided to go up over a curb at a shopping mall this morning with my rear passenger wheel! (hand)

At first I thought nothing was wrong, then when the sun came up later I noticed a scuff on the edge of the wheel (not bad) but worse is there was a small tear in the sidewall! Ugh. So it needs replaced. 205/50R17's are expensive... probably end up just replacing with another Toyo Proxi A18... $138 from Tire Rack, or my Mazda dealer quoted me like $175 through them, installed... but they're backordered.

How long, besides never, can I drive on this tire? I mean, I drove on it and at highway speeds for like 30 minutes to get home and swap cars. Can I just replace one or should I replace at least a pair on the same axle? Ugh I'm so pissed at myself.

Thanks

(The pic is a bit deceiving, the tear is only 5/8" wide corner-to-corner. And at it's thickest the flap is just under 1/4" thick... mostly about 1/8" or less.)

Attachments

• closeUp.jpg
    closeUp.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 182
Look around. A lot Mazda 3/5 owners get rid of them as soon as they buy the car Sometime with rims. $175 for these tires are too much. You should be able to find a replacement for cheap.

Stop at any reputable tire shop and ask their opinion about your damage.

Sweet Jesus! Did the curb have teeth? Thats pretty awful for curb rash. Do a Google search on used tires also you shouldn't have to pay more than about 60$ for a decent used Toyo.

i really wouldnt drive on that tire period. ive seen ppl try to get by on a tire with similar damage and sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. i dont think you want to experience blowing out a tire at any speeds cause its a scary thing. if the tires not that worn out then i say you can get away with one tire but if the other side is worn out too then its best to replace both of them.

Yeah stay off of it.

Damn it, first time I ever did this... maybe it was the lack of sleep getting up at 5AM for damn Black Friday. I decided to go up over a curb at a shopping mall this morning with my rear passenger wheel! (hand)

At first I thought nothing was wrong, then when the sun came up later I noticed a scuff on the edge of the wheel (not bad) but worse is there was a small tear in the sidewall! Ugh. So it needs replaced. 205/50R17's are expensive... probably end up just replacing with another Toyo Proxi A18... $138 from Tire Rack, or my Mazda dealer quoted me like $175 through them, installed... but they're backordered.

How long, besides never, can I drive on this tire? I mean, I drove on it and at highway speeds for like 30 minutes to get home and swap cars. Can I just replace one or should I replace at least a pair on the same axle? Ugh I'm so pissed at myself.

Thanks

(The pic is a bit deceiving, the tear is only 5/8" wide corner-to-corner. And at it's thickest the flap is just under 1/4" thick... mostly about 1/8" or less.)

Not worth the damage you could cause from a blow-out.

There are MANY tires you could find to replace the Toyos. For a hundred fifty bucks more you could find some nicer tires for all 4 wheels. Sumotomo and Avon has some nice products.

Alright, just found and ordered a pair of Toyo Proxis A18's off of Ebay for $103 shipped. I rarely use Ebay, but they're listed as "Take-off-tires", 4-5/32" tread, and the seller has perfect feedback. So hopefully I did good and they'll arrive soon.

And thanks, I agree. It's small damage, but with my wife and son in the car, I don't want to gamble with their safety. I'll drive to work on it solo if need be, off-highway, until I get the tires shipped and mounted. Didn't mean to sound cheap with this, but we're in the middle of closing on our first house right now and the budget is tighter than a drum.

Last edited:
You don't sound cheap...

Alright, just found and ordered a pair of Toyo Proxis A18's off of Ebay for $103 shipped. I rarely use Ebay, but they're listed as "Take-off-tires", 4-5/32" tread, and the seller has perfect feedback. So hopefully I did good and they'll arrive soon.

And thanks, I agree. It's small damage, but with my wife and son in the car, I don't want to gamble with their safety. I'll drive to work on it solo if need be, off-highway, until I get the tires shipped and mounted. Didn't mean to sound cheap with this, but we're in the middle of closing on our first house right now and the budget is tighter than a drum.

I have two kids myself and money is always a consideration. I've personally learned that what may seem expensive at first can turn VERY expensive. A blow-out at the wrong time could be devastating.

I had a blow-out in my mother's 88 Camry about 20 years ago on the Central artery in Boston. The tire picked up a nail. This caused the front passenger side tire to catastrophically deflate when I hit the brakes hard to stop short from 50 mph. The car skidded and swung to the right, smashing into the guardrail and crushing the front of the Camry. If the car behind me didn't stop, I would have been t-boned on the drivers side.

I closed down the northbound side of the central artery for 2 hours (across from Quincy Market) and the car never made it back to the road. Luckily I came out with bruises and scared shitless. That taught me NEVER to underestimate the value of tires. These days I'm super obsessive about tires. And I cringe when I see cars with underinflated/bald/beat-up tires. Tires are truly the only things between you and disaster.

The eBay Toyos sound like a good deal though.

WOW, that's insane. At least you were ultimately okay, but I can see how that experience would make you obsess over tires! Geez. I was actually just pulling up some YouTube clips of blowouts, and yeah it looks as serious as it's made out to be.

On a lighter note, sorry you had to be the official jackass of the day for getting everyone to work late (lol2)

Good call on the take-offs, jandree22. If you're concerned about it, I suppose you could always just change over to the donut spare now until the fleabay ones come in?

Good deal on E-bay! I bought four tires for the wifes Subaru from AYC Tires about a year ago. Having no experience with "used" tires I was very nervous. Fortuneately the company was, and is, legit and very pleasant to deal with and the ires have held up great. I would not normally advocate buying "used/take-off" tires but when money is tight (and for those of us with kids it usually is) its a great way to get out of a jam. I paid 200 w/shipping for four Yokohama Geolanders 215-60-15. Tire-rack wanted about 119$ EACH for new ones, talk about a no-brainer! Glad it worked out for you Jandree.

Well, the situation has changed a good bit. The Ebay seller notified me right before shipment that the Toyo Proxis he was going to send me have developed bubbles on the side, so he would not sell them to me but offered other Makes/Models instead. I said I wanted OEM originals, and long story short he ended up just refunding my money... so I'm at least glad he was honest with me.

Luckily, there are some truly awesome people left in the world. Opus (yep, from this site) has most generously offered a pair of extra Proxis he had lying around for nothing more than the cost of shipping. He may not want recognition, but I was just overwhelmed with his thoughtfulness and help. This is why I love this site... such a small community of us looking out for each other. Much thanks Opus for this assistance, but also to everyone for being a friendly and helpful bunch of people.(hi)

jandree22,

Same thing happened to me last month. I thought I just kissed a low curb w/ my Proxes and then I look down and see a big ol' chunk of rubber hanging off off the right front tire's sidewall. I then drove 160 miles home and installed my winter tires a bit early.

Proxes = pupe.

Back