European mirror installed, no more blindspot

OMF

:
2007 CX-9 GT AWD
I have got a pair of European aspheric CX-7 mirror plates (thanks for TheMan for his compatibility tip) and replaced the drivers side tonight.

The gain in viewing angle is SIGNIFICANT (+23 or if you wish 3.87 times the OEM angle (headbang)), but to be quite honest, it still remains below the ugly stick-on mirrors performance, simply because the outer side of the mirror housing covers a part of the suped wide view provided by the new mirror plate, partly degrading its effectiveness. The new mirror plate performs still much better than the stick-on aid on the OEM mirror, providing a much larger viewing surface at wide angle.

Viewing angle comparison: OEM: 8; European CX-7 plate: 31; stick-on aid: 48; all measured with an improvised laser guided angle-gauge, setting the 0 line parallel with the center line of the car, at the inside of the mirror surface. Havent swapped the right mirror plate yet, but I am expecting less improvement in viewing angle compared with the drivers side plate.

If you are interested in this mod, get the following part from Europe:

Left mirror plate: CC65-69-1G7;
Right mirror plate: CC65-69-1G1.

There is a visible, vertical divider line at around 1/3rd of the mirror, where the already convex mirror surface becomes progressively more convex toward the outside edge, making the outside 1/3 part of the mirror super wide-angle.

If you are not familiar driving with aspheric mirror on the drivers side, it might take a while to get used to it. It is widely used all over the world, except in North America...

I have got a pair of European aspheric CX-7 mirror plates (thanks for TheMan for his compatibility tip) and replaced the driver’s side tonight.

The gain in viewing angle is SIGNIFICANT (+23 or if you wish 3.87 times the OEM angle (headbang)), but to be quite honest, it still remains below the ugly stick-on mirror’s performance, simply because the outer side of the mirror housing covers a part of the suped wide view provided by the new mirror plate, partly degrading its effectiveness. The new mirror plate performs still much better than the stick-on aid on the OEM mirror, providing a much larger viewing surface at wide angle.

Viewing angle comparison: OEM: 8; European CX-7 plate: 31; stick-on aid: 48; all measured with an improvised laser guided angle-gauge, setting the 0 line parallel with the center line of the car, at the inside of the mirror surface. Haven’t swapped the right mirror plate yet, but I am expecting less improvement in viewing angle compared with the drivers side plate.

If you are interested in this mod, get the following part from Europe:

Left mirror plate: CC65-69-1G7;
Right mirror plate: CC65-69-1G1.

There is a visible, vertical divider line at around 1/3rd of the mirror, where the already convex mirror surface becomes progressively more convex toward the outside edge, making the outside 1/3 part of the mirror super wide-angle.

If you are not familiar driving with aspheric mirror on the driver’s side, it might take a while to get used to it. It is widely used all over the world, except in North America...

This is cool.

I think that my CX-9 GT will have heated mirrors. Was this new mirror glass heated or is there a part # compatible with the heated glass? Also I think Blindspot Monitoring will be on this car and I am not sure if it has implications to the mirror glass. Anyone know this?

Last edited:
This is cool.

I think that my CX-9 GT will have heated mirrors. Was this new mirror glass heated ..... Anyone know this?
Yes, it's heated and fully compatible with my CX-9. Also, after the first 200 km drive with this mirror plate, I can confirm that there is no blindspot, so I can safely change lanes without turning my head.

Yes, it's heated and fully compatible with my CX-9. Also, after the first 200 km drive with this mirror plate, I can confirm that there is no blindspot, so I can safely change lanes without turning my head.

Two questions:
1. Are there instructions for swapping the glass (don't want to break something)?
2. Do you have a link to where you got yours from?

This is cool.

I think that my CX-9 GT will have heated mirrors. Was this new mirror glass heated or is there a part # compatible with the heated glass? Also I think Blindspot Monitoring will be on this car and I am not sure if it has implications to the mirror glass. Anyone know this?
if your car doesn't have heated mirrors, then get the cheaper non-heated glass:
CC29-69-1G1 right side
CC64-69-1G7 left side
they are compatible with the CX-7 and Mazda5 also

the mirror glass comes installed on the plastic frame already.... to remove the stock mirrors, push the mirror at the top corner closest to the car then grab the bottom of the mirror and lift/pry it off... you will hear all sorts of plastic sounds snapping, this is normal as you are just overcoming the internal gears of the motor... installing it is just as simple as snapping the new one in place unless you have heated mirrors which means you have to mess with the wires attached to the glass

if your car doesn't have heated mirrors, then get the cheaper non-heated glass:
CC29-69-1G1 right side
CC64-69-1G7 left side
they are compatible with the CX-7 and Mazda5 also

the mirror glass comes installed on the plastic frame already.... to remove the stock mirrors, push the mirror at the top corner closest to the car then grab the bottom of the mirror and lift/pry it off... you will hear all sorts of plastic sounds snapping, this is normal as you are just overcoming the internal gears of the motor... installing it is just as simple as snapping the new one in place unless you have heated mirrors which means you have to mess with the wires attached to the glass

Thanks. Just a few questions...

So the part numbers at the start of the thread are for heated?

How is the wiring attached to the glass? Is it a simple unplug and replug?

Is the Blindspot Monitoring System affected by the change of the mirror glass?

Thanks. Happy thanksgiving.

ZoomFive

... you will hear all sorts of plastic sounds snapping, this is normal as you are just overcoming the internal gears of the motor...

Are any of the plastic parts actually getting broken?

If for some reason I don't like them, can I just pop them off and reinstall the original ones?

Still looking for a source to buy them...

So the part numbers at the start of the thread are for heated?
That's correct, the part numbers in the thread starter are for heated mirror plates

How is the wiring attached to the glass? Is it a simple unplug and replug?

It can't be any simpler... The whole replacement is done in 3 minutes. See the attached instructions and picture showing the inside of the mirror, with heater wires disconnected.
IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

I don't know, my CX-9 is 2007 MY.

It's from my trip to Europe... let me know if you want me to contact the dealer to check the shipping and handling costs.

Please, I would love to install this one.

I'm looking for heated mirror attachements...

Yes it will be. The BSM mirrors have an LED on the back and the location of the indicator spot on the mirror is etched to allow the LED to shine through. You can see the spot in daylight when it is not lit.

I've found that with my mirrors adjusted properly* and the BSM enabled I have good situational awareness. It's a big help in heavy traffic. The euro-spec mirrors will achieve the same thing though, but you'll need to get used judging distance correctly.

Having just done the crazy-ass run to the in-laws (Seattle-Portland) for turkey day in crazy traffic I can say that the BSM works very well when coupled with well adjusted mirrors.

* Adjusting mirrors: I've seen tons of folks who set their mirrors so they can see down the side of their car. This is just not right and creates a huge blind-spot. Side mirrors should be adjusted such that as an object in and adjacent lane moves off the edge of the rear view mirror it starts to appear on the appropriate side mirror, with a slight overlap. In a sedan this virtually eliminates blindspots as long as you have not lost your peripheral vision. Becuase the CX9 rides high and the c-pillar is huge, there is void there where you just can't see directly either with a mirror or looking over your shoulder. The BSM fills that void, as would the euro spec mirror set. IMHO of course.

European mirror viceo clip

Sounds like the EU mirror will be a preferred option for the 2007 owners only.

The attached video clip View attachment Mirror clip.avi will help you understand what can you expect from the blindspot-free mirror.

IMG_3256.JPG

Left and right mirror plates:
IMG_3123.JPG

Yes it will be. The BSM mirrors have an LED on the back and the location of the indicator spot on the mirror is etched to allow the LED to shine through. You can see the spot in daylight when it is not lit.

I've found that with my mirrors adjusted properly* and the BSM enabled I have good situational awareness. It's a big help in heavy traffic. The euro-spec mirrors will achieve the same thing though, but you'll need to get used judging distance correctly.

Having just done the crazy-ass run to the in-laws (Seattle-Portland) for turkey day in crazy traffic I can say that the BSM works very well when coupled with well adjusted mirrors.

* Adjusting mirrors: I've seen tons of folks who set their mirrors so they can see down the side of their car. This is just not right and creates a huge blind-spot. Side mirrors should be adjusted such that as an object in and adjacent lane moves off the edge of the rear view mirror it starts to appear on the appropriate side mirror, with a slight overlap. In a sedan this virtually eliminates blindspots as long as you have not lost your peripheral vision. Becuase the CX9 rides high and the c-pillar is huge, there is void there where you just can't see directly either with a mirror or looking over your shoulder. The BSM fills that void, as would the euro spec mirror set. IMHO of course.

Thanks for the response. My BMW came with the European mirrors and we had the dealer swap them out. It is a bit to get used to. However, I will say that the the CX-9 had a huge blindspot that almost resulted in an accident during my test drive when a guy tried to sneak around me to get into the left turn lane ahead of me.

I wonder if the European mirrors have a heated / BSM model that I can order if I go that direction?

the cx-9 doesn't exist in europe... these mirrors are from the mazda5/CX-7, so your answer is no
and they don't need this "blind spot monitoring" bulls*** as the simple technology of a convex mirror does the job! this "feature" came about because of the restrictive US safety laws that requires a flat driver's side mirror

my 3 had bad enough blind spot issues that upgrading to the EDM mirrors on mine was money well spent

the cx-9 doesn't exist in europe... these mirrors are from the mazda5/CX-7, so your answer is no
and they don't need this "blind spot monitoring" bulls*** as the simple technology of a convex mirror does the job! this "feature" came about because of the restrictive US safety laws that requires a flat driver's side mirror

my 3 had bad enough blind spot issues that upgrading to the EDM mirrors on mine was money well spent

Ah, that's right. The thread started with the fact that these were CX-7 mirrors. Pity that the Europeans do not have BSM. It would have been good to have both the convex mirror and additional BSM watching my back.

I think that the burden of responsibility rests with the cars in the blindspots. (wow)

Can these mirrors be purchased from a dealer in the US? If not than from who? How about a price?

Back