Few minor issues but makes me go aaaaargh!

Rhodius

I have my CX-9 for about two months now, it's the main vehicle on the weekend, as such I've put more than 2000 miles on it (mainly highway drive).

There's no major problem but there's a few minor issues that really irks me.

1. The stitches above the passenger (next to the door handle) has come off, you can see the cloth came right off.
I'll more piss off if it were stitches off my leather seats, but still, the spot right above passenger head should be the un-like-liest place to come off first

2. The front interior light switch broken
What happened? We never/seldom set the interior light, it was always at door-on since we bought it, but the slider is now broken and now I have no control whatsoever from the front. Now if I need my daughter to see her seat buckle, I'd need to manually turn on the middle interior light and turn it off afterwards. The auto-door-lighting is controlled from the front, I may need to use a screwdriver to set it to auto.

Off all my experience owning new cars, never before I had all these minor issues with other brands, the CX-9 is my first Mazda. It also has all these issues. Do you think the Mazda dealer will be able to help? Will I have to spend hundreds of $$ to get the whole front lighting set? I don't think they could just replace the slider, can they?

Definately take it to the dealer, at only 2000 miles things shouldn't be breaking and you shouldn't have to pay a dime.

In doing my research before deciding on the CX-9, I noticed a trend with this new crop of CUVs: worsening initial quality, and cheaper materials.

The Acadia forums are full of stories of bad transmission software, leaks in the door, loose driveline bolts, rocking seats, batteries dying.

Highlander forums complain about the really cheap fuzzy headliner used in the new 2008 model, as well as tons of hard plastics which scratch easily. Haven't seen many mechanical issues yet, since the car is newer.

Many Veracruz owners are reporting rattles and creaks from the dashboard, and some brake/suspension noises.

It's too bad that $40k vehicles now have to result using materials from their much cheaper stablemates. I guess it's the only way to keep profits up on the oh-so-popular CUV segment. Personally, I can live with it.

By the way, if you want to see a CUV that has really nice interior quality and plastics, go sit in an Audi Q7. I hear they're not too reliable, but man, what a nice interior!

The thing folks need to remember is that happy customers usually don't post about the problems they are not having. The S:N ratio therefor is biased towards doom and gloom.

I've seen this in every car forum I frequent.

When you see an issue like this, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. The dealer makes a claim to Mazda to cover it and in turn Mazda can identify long term quality issues that might not show up when it rolls off the line.

-Ian

We've had our 2007 FWD GT since February and have about 10k on it. So far I've had the following things break...

3rd row seatbelt clip. The dealer gave me a new one at no cost...

No rattles or squeaks, except when my daughter leaves her junk in the back seat...;-)

The thing folks need to remember is that happy customers usually don't post about the problems they are not having. The S:N ratio therefor is biased towards doom and gloom.I've seen this in every car forum I frequent.

When you see an issue like this, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. The dealer makes a claim to Mazda to cover it and in turn Mazda can identify long term quality issues that might not show up when it rolls off the line.

-Ian

That is were the saying "no new is good news" came from. (wink)

I had one additional minor issue that tops it off: Squeeking noise.

It's a two months old car and it's been driven mainly short distance to school or long distance on the weekend (highway driving), there should be no reason the car makes squeeking noise everytime it goes over bumps (in some of the housing complexes or near school). But it does! I have yet to determine if it's suspension (hopefully not) or simply the car seats.

Like I said, it's the accumulation of little things that makes me go nuts!

Thank you for all your replies, I feel a bit better now. I will take the car to the dealer, after hearing your inputs.

That is were the saying "no new is good news" came from. (wink)

agreed. when i was still working at the dealership we rarely saw the 9s come in for anything more than an oil change.

but yes, take it to the dealer, it should all be fixed under warranty

Our CX9's driver side seatback bolster squeaks. Should I take it back to the dealer?

Little things I dont like that much:

- The door handle isnt close to my hand , like in another cars, so I really have to stretch to grab it and close the door.

- Wish that when u are inside the car and wanna go outside, just pull the handle and thats it, the car would be unlocked, but no, u have to press the power lock button first.

What do I love? Everything else.

Especially the new trick I learned to get in the car in a sunny day, u just open the windows and sunroof with your advanced key or close them.

Love the stability at 90mph doing just 2500rpms in 6 gear , this car is very powerful indeed.

Last week I took the CX-9 to the dealer, the stitches that came off as well as the broken interior light were fixed free of charge.

Apparently Mazda knows about the low quality switch being used for the front interior light, there have been similar issues with other owners according to my dealer.

Thanks for all of your advice.

PS. Time to check off that customer satisfaction survey.

A few of my bitches and moans:
Can't lock doors until rear hatch closes.
Autolock is inconsistent, sometimes doesn't work when the rear door is opened and then closed.
Rear hatch light does not turn on when the hatch is opened!
Brake squeak at 8000 miles
Bluetooth button has become inconsistent (think it Sat radio related)

Still love to drive it though!

with 1100 miles these are issues that I am experiencing:
1. Front Passenger Courtesy Light broke (didn't light up).
2. When in reverse, braking squeal.
3. Car pulls to the left (I think there's a TSB for this one).

Do you folks also notice that the light in the glove compartment won't light up when you open up your glove compartment, unless you turn on your small/head light? I asked the dealer and they said this is by design. What a moronic design :bs:

Door detents are not defined enough. It is very easy to just let the door swing wide open.

Back