Woot!

IanKen

Just picked up (last night).

Stormy Blue GT /w nav and allegedly Sirius, but the port forgot to install it.

Got an excellent deal. This was the first time I've been able to just pay cash for a car (trade+savings) and the experience was only marginally better than dealing with financing. I was hoping to walk in, drop off the cashiers check and my trade , sign a few official documents and drive away. Ha.

However, the dealer (University Mazda, in Seattle) was the only one to make the effort to actually find me the ride I wanted in a reasonable amount of time, so props to them.

They were however bummed that I wouldn't be taking it to them fro service. I just laughed, did they expect me to drive into the city during the commute? For an over priced oil change? That's insane.

So far (one leg of my daily commute and the drive from the dealer in evening hell traffic) I'm pleased.

For someone not accustomed to a larger vehicle (coming from a Legacy GT) the blind spot radar is a great aide. Yes, I don't NEED it and I can snap a look over my shoulder but it is a good thing, particularly in dense traffic in a torrential downpour. It's just one more tool. My LGT has excellent visibility with the mirrors properly set but I cannot replicate that in the CX9 with the small rear window.

Handling-wise it is excellent, as I experienced in the test drives. The auto is smooth and responsive. I do miss the acceleration of my stage-1 LGT. Everything I've read about this motor indicates that it can take a lot, so I hope we'll see some after-market perf solutions.

The wheels look great, but should be wider. I would love for a wider OEM replica wheel set. 20x9 or so.

The audio system (Bose) is OK. Not sure if I will make the effort to do any sort of upgrade. Dunno if I will make the effort to install some sort of portable device thing (like the drive+play) or put in my empeg /w display extender.

One thing I do love about the radio: the FM reception is the best I've ever had in a vehicle. I've never gotten KEXP to come in without static on the Eastside before, it is flawless on the OEM radio.

-Ian

Welcome to the club!
The CX-9 gets better with time.
Where do you plan to get your service done?

Welcome to the club!
The CX-9 gets better with time.
Where do you plan to get your service done?

For oil and what-not I'll do it myself. For warranty work I'll take it to Kirkland Mazda if needed. Otherwise I'll take it to Zahntech in Redmond.

I am disappointed in the primitive MP3 CD feature. The head unit should cache the folder structure of all inserted discs to enable quick browsing. It's not rocket science. I have six discs in there and finding stuff is not as easy as it should be and the lag time cycling through folders makes it painful. Also, I was annoyed to read in the manual that the RES supports WMA while the nav unit does not. It really feels like as last generation solution.

The BT phone solution on the other hand has worked very well, better than the after market Pioneer rig I had in my last ride.

So it's a mixed bag, gadget wise. I love the full OEM integration. But like all OEMs theya re a bit behind the times. RANT: The exception of course is Ford and Sync, which should be an option on the CX9. Dammit. (argh)

Anyway, so far really liking it. It's just relaxing to drive. It doesn't plant your ass in the seat like my Legacy did but I don't feel like I've been mugged after a long ride in it.

I wasn't overly impressed by the Bose when I test drove the CX-9. Maybe there's a hidden equalizer in the head unit that you can access (on my Audi you have to press a couple of buttons while turning on the head unit), but I found the sound somewhat flat. Also, it kinda angers me that I would have to upgrade to the 6-CD changer to get the sunroof, knowing full well I haven't played a CD in 3 years in my car (blame satellite radio and the iPOD). And this whole switch-box issue with iPOD/Satellite radio is ridiculous at best...it certainly seems that Mazda got the Bose discount special from 5 years ago on that one.

Other than that, loved the car! Mine is on order!

Back