empty grill!

snooky

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
Okay so, a bunch of people on the forum have been asking me about my sig pic, and how they like the empty grill...

The pic was photoshoped, I rellay thought it would look good so i made it empty. Ive been looking everywhere to find an actual grill like it. The only one i could find it the badgeless one we've all seen.

i was wondering, would it be possible to modify that grill and cut out the middle part?

if not the only solution i could find was this grill i stumbled on.

let me know what you think.

Attachments

• mazda-6-front1.jpg
    mazda-6-front1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 331
Only problem being the grill on the MS6 helps to divert air into the top mount intercooler.

FMIC option then?

Might cost you a bit, but an upgraded FMIC with that front bumper you posted would make a could combo.

Only problem being the grill on the MS6 helps to divert air into the top mount intercooler.

i thought it was the hood itself that directs air into the intercooler, and with nothing in the way I/E badge... nothing blocks air flow. right?

The pic was photoshoped, I rellay thought it would look good so i made it empty. I’ve been looking everywhere to find an actual grill like it. The only one i could find it the badgeless one we've all seen.

i was wondering, would it be possible to modify that grill and cut out the middle part?
I've been thinking about doing this possibly.... It sucks that we just can't take the stock MS6 grill out. There is a cutout underneath where the logo usually sits and then I think there are also holes for clips on the sides, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I've been thinking about doing this too..... It just sucks to think that for the empty grill look, you will have to buy the aftermarket badgeless version for like $140 or whatever and then mod that.... and paint body color, black, or cover in CF. So it gets a little pricey for such a seemingly small mod. But I'm going to think about it and see what I can do! If I come up with something, I'll post!

i thought it was the hood itself that directs air into the intercooler, and with nothing in the way I/E badge... nothing blocks air flow. right?
Yeah, I really don't think that middle bar really does much to deflect air upwards into the ducting (on the underside of the hood, there is duct that leads to the TMIC), but I'm not sure. I don't think we will ever know for sure until someone does some track testing and data logging OR if someone gets some windtunnel time with/without (which is VERY doubtful to ever happen!).

On a side note, there is a new bumper being made by a company. That bumper APPEARS to have all the bottom center hole filled in a la euro MPS6 (and maybe even the side holes for the clips!). That would, obviously, be a much more expensive option to go grill-less!

why cant life just be easy somtimes, i want to make it look like theres nothing there, i hate that i have to pay sh!t loads of $$$$$ to make something look empty.

im hoping a car mod company wil stumble on this page and creat it, look how many people are interested in it....

until that day comes im rockin the badge :/

well..... more to come... but I'm not sure how much time I can put on this until the middle of December.... but for now:

IMG_0641copy.jpg

+

IMG_0643copy.jpg

=

IMG_0644copy.jpg

hahaha.... I know I just saw that! Oh well.... best of luck! He makes great pieces if there's enough interest. It's a shame I am having to hack up his own masterpiece to get what I really wanted lol.

wow nice work man, have you done this b4?

u need to put like a black mesh behind it to hide

looks sweet! I WANT IT!!!!!!!!
thanks man! It's my first time working on something like this lol. I'm definitely going to put some black mesh on the back of it.... but I need to do some trimming of the black plastic first. If you look at the stock grill, the black plastic piece behind the single center bar has 2 "posts" that hold the clips from the grill. I'm going to have to slice those things completely off and then paint the whole plastic piece a nice flat black so it blends in with the shadows a little more. Then the black mesh to cover that a little more too.... It's coming along!

This was just a little test fit so I could get an idea of what it looks like in person. I'm in love..... I had to take it off to add in a little more fiberglass where I sanded down a little too much lol. So this week I should be able to make a little more progress with this. I'll definitely take some more pics once there's more to it though.

I'm still trying to decide what treatment is best for the grill itself..... matte black (to match the wheels), CF, or body color (Titanium Gray).... so hard to decide!

thanks man! It's my first time working on something like this lol. I'm definitely going to put some black mesh on the back of it.... but I need to do some trimming of the black plastic first. If you look at the stock grill, the black plastic piece behind the single center bar has 2 "posts" that hold the clips from the grill. I'm going to have to slice those things completely off and then paint the whole plastic piece a nice flat black so it blends in with the shadows a little more. Then the black mesh to cover that a little more too.... It's coming along!

This was just a little test fit so I could get an idea of what it looks like in person. I'm in love..... I had to take it off to add in a little more fiberglass where I sanded down a little too much lol. So this week I should be able to make a little more progress with this. I'll definitely take some more pics once there's more to it though.

I'm still trying to decide what treatment is best for the grill itself..... matte black (to match the wheels), CF, or body color (Titanium Gray).... so hard to decide!

where di you learn how to do fiber glass... im just empressed that i was able to paint eye lids ur layin FG good 4 you man! i wish you luck and please post pix when your closer,

btw im also having a prob with color im btwn black or stock .......(huh)

where di you learn how to do fiber glass... im just empressed that i was able to paint eye lids ur layin FG good 4 you man! i wish you luck and please post pix when your closer,
Just learned by reading as much as possible and then just getting my hands on the stuff! I also have picked up some CF-stuff as well as that was my original intent. But this small mod will do a lot for the front end..... so I wound up trying this first lol.

Just learned by reading as much as possible and then just getting my hands on the stuff! I also have picked up some CF-stuff as well as that was my original intent. But this small mod will do a lot for the front end..... so I wound up trying this first lol.

good for you man i wouldnt even know where to begin, where do you even buy fiber glass, CF?

online composites shops..... I used fiberglasssupply.com and uscomposites.com and had good experiences with both!

for now.... still trying to work on the center area with some type of mesh....
IMG_0660bc.jpg

IMG_0659bc.jpg

IMG_0658bc.jpg

IMG_0653bc.jpg

IMG_0652bc.jpg

If anyone has any ideas for the mesh part, lemme know!!!

Back