How to paint your MS6 eyelids

snooky

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
Disclaimer: By reading this, the reader accepts full responsibility in performing the following work at his or her own risk. I cannot assume responsibility for any damage, injury as a result of you the reader, following my instructions. Im still new to the painting of car accessories, so please correct me if you notice something wrong

So, to start off, I bought my eyelids off of eBay for $19.99. they did not come pre- primed. They are made of ABS plastic. Here's all the items needed.
Parts & Paint
-Color Paint code for your car (I have the Liquid Platinum MS6, the code is 30S)
-OEM Spray paint for base coat.
-600, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper
-Flexible primer paint for plastic
-Towels or newspaper for covering area
Procedure:
-First, clean the entire painting surface with a 600 grit paper. Rough the surface up enough so the primer will cover well. Then, after about 2-3 coats of primer (lightly sanding in between with 1500 grit), use a damp cloth to remove all small dust particles from the surface. It may get a bit messy, so try to do it outside or a well ventilated area, I did it on my deck.
-Then, once you have a nicely covered surface, front and edges, use the base coat paint that you got from your dealer. Use paint in a slow-swift movement across the surface of the eyelids. **The thinner, swift coats, the better the finish**
-Once you have covered the surface of the eyelid with one good coat, let it dry completely for roughly an hour. Once dry, use a 1000 grit paper with water finishing with a 1500 to remove any little particles between coats, still wet sanding, not dry sanding. Repeat until you have roughly 3 coats of base on the surface.
-When all base coats have dried, use the 2000 grit paper in a very slight manner with water. Remove particles with water and a light rag. Dry off completely and let sit for 10 minutes.
-Once dry, finish with at least 3-4 coats of clear coat, allowing 1-1.5 hours between coats (depending on temp). Use the 2000 grit paper between coats with water. Allow to dry.

prep area for install; I washed the are with a wet rag and dish washing soap, to get rid of the oils and debris. I heated the inside of the eyelids on the double side tape to make it extra sticky when attaching it to the light.

Note: everything I did were under specific instructions from my buddy at the local garage
Hope you guys have as much fun doing this as I did.
Good luck, SNOOKY!

Attachments

• PICT0024.jpg
    PICT0024.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 270
  • PICT0026.jpg
    PICT0026.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 234
  • PICT0029.jpg
    PICT0029.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 217
  • PICT0031.jpg
    PICT0031.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 264
  • PICT0032 copy.jpg
    PICT0032 copy.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
sorry for the poor quality pics my digi cam broke and i was forced to use my cell :/

Attachments

• Mazda6_eyelids-1.jpg
    Mazda6_eyelids-1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 300
and this is what my MS6 will look like in the future!!!!

Attachments

• shade.jpg
    shade.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 296
I'm diggin the open front end ... I wonder what a black mesh would look like on there.

man if you can make it id pay!

i was thinking of getting the auto exe looking grill, and bringing it to the garage, seeing if they could cut that midle piece and fill the holes and paint.

please add:

One is the difficulty. This will be on a 1-10 scale. One being you should not even be driving a car to 10 being Chip Foose would be impressed.

Second are the tools you used to do the job.

Third is the cost of the job (parts, outside labor and so on.).

Fourth is the “O” factor witch is also on a 1-10 scale. One being just something that has to be done like filling your car with gas or filling the washer fluid. 10 being I turned my car into the starship Enterprise with transporters and warp drive (witch would be sweet don’t lie to yourself).

Here is something for you to cut and paste at the top of your how to.

Difficulty = (Please fill in)
Tools = (Please fill in)
Cost = (Please fill in)
“O” Factor = (Please fill in)

please add:

One is the difficulty. This will be on a 1-10 scale. One being you should not even be driving a car to 10 being Chip Foose would be impressed.

Second are the tools you used to do the job.

Third is the cost of the job (parts, outside labor and so on.).

Fourth is the O factor witch is also on a 1-10 scale. One being just something that has to be done like filling your car with gas or filling the washer fluid. 10 being I turned my car into the starship Enterprise with transporters and warp drive (witch would be sweet dont lie to yourself).

Here is something for you to cut and paste at the top of your how to.

Difficulty = (4) looks harder than it seems, you just need pacience.
Tools =
Color Paint code for your car (I have the Liquid Platinum MS6, the code is 30S)
-OEM Spray paint for base coat.
-600, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpaper
-Flexible primer paint for plastic
-Towels or newspaper for covering area
-double sided tape, or urethane roll

Cost = eyelids : 20$
primer, base, clear = 40$
sand paper= 15$
tap= 5$

total: 80$

(sounds like a lot but you have left overs for future jobs...plus my garage wanted to charge me like 250$!

O Factor = 9! this car looks like it just hopped a train from japan JDM lol

no just kidding, i really dont know the "O" factor, i love it, and i love it more because i did it myself. try it!

Back