Tire size question

I m wandering if 225 45 17 will fit instead of the 205 50 17. It is almost the same ratio but i m wandering if 225 will be too large for the wheel.
Thanks

Check here. I mounted my 225's to 17 X 7.5 wheels. I think the OEMs are 17 X 7.

I m wandering if 225 45 17 will fit instead of the 205 50 17. It is almost the same ratio but i m wandering if 225 will be too large for the wheel.
Thanks

Attachments

• tires.JPG
    tires.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 190
I also have a question if anyone can help. I was lucky enough to get my hands aon a nice set of brand new RX8 wheels today that I will keep as summer rims for my 5 (can't wait to see what it looks like).

What tire size should I use???

Well, from what tirerack.com says, 18X8 is the maximum you can go....I better not get screwed with this. Hope everything will fit nicely. If not, I know someone here will buy them from me :D

Last edited:
I have 225/40 18" on my RX-8 wheels. BUT...I think this size is one size too small. The wheel lip is not protected by the side wall.

I had 225/40/18 on my RX-8 wheels too......but i agree with Hotrodsaint that the size is a bit small.....235/40 or 245/40 would be great but it will rub like hell !!

Last edited:
From what you guys wrote, I'm thinking 235/40 would be my best bet. It would protect the lip a lil better than the 225 and would offer enough ride quality without rubbing....I hope...what do you guys think?

The OEM for the RX-8 are 225/45VR18 ...I think that's too high and would create rubbing....

Last edited:
But 255 should rub as i checked with my 225 ....it only has a few mm left before it rub

But 255 should rub as i checked with my 225 ....it only has a few mm left before it rub

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

According to this link, the difference in width between the 205/40 vs the stock 255/35 would be 1.9" (or 25mm closer to suspension than stock). The difference between the 205/50 vs the 225/40 is 1.1" (or 10mm closer to suspension than stock).

But that's without entering the offset, since I don't know it.

If we knew the actual offset of the MZ5 wheel and the RX-8 wheel, we could get a much closer idea of how much clearance the tire will have.

I would be more worried if I had really low springs, as the front wheel is already close to the fender.

Back