Mazda 5 Turbo

Vinnyfast

Hi, I'm wondering what the cons would be if I were to install a turbo/intercooler for my 06 Mazda 5 auto. I realize it'll void the warranty, but that's ok. I'm waiting for confirmation that this will indeed be suitable for my car. Probably around another $1500 to install and dyno setup. On the other hand, I think I'll have the fastest Mazda 5 out there after completion.

Here's the link for the turbo http://www.turbokits.com/3_turbo_kits.html

And here's the link for my car http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2924164

Any educational feedback would be appreciated!!

(burnout)

My 2 cents... I wouldn't do it with the Auto tranny. I'm planning to add a turbo (the Mazda3 kit works) after my warranty is up. I bought the 5-speed with this upgrade in mind. I'll avoid the VF-22IHI. You could get a tranny cooling kit for the auto. Have you dyno'd your 5 yet?

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123644561&page=2

Hi, I'm wondering what the cons would be if I were to install a turbo/intercooler for my 06 Mazda 5 auto. I realize it'll void the warranty, but that's ok. I'm waiting for confirmation that this will indeed be suitable for my car. Probably around another $1500 to install and dyno setup. On the other hand, I think I'll have the fastest Mazda 5 out there after completion.

Here's the link for the turbo http://www.turbokits.com/3_turbo_kits.html

And here's the link for my car http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2924164

Any educational feedback would be appreciated!!

(burnout)

Last edited:
Wow! Really nice ride! Love the sound it makes. Where'd you get a catback that fits our 5??? I've looked everywhere and the only ones I found needed some bending and readjusting...(boom02) Also, where'd you buy the LED sills. I've been meaning to get some.

Well, to answer all your questions - the catback exhaust (not including the $100 I payed for the muffler) costs ~ $450 at Speedy, custom bent, 2.25" pipe, stainless steel.The LED sills (look really cool at nite), along with the double din dask kit were purchased from speedline.com. However, I don't think this website is working anymore which is too bad because they had a lot of Mazda accessories.

I would tend to agree with not installing a turbo in an automatic, but I would really, really, really LOVE one!! Right now, I do notice a bit of pull around 5k rpm, not to mention a very agreesive growl. My car has actually scared some people while driving along in parking lots (while in first/second gear haha). I'm thinking I only achieved an extra 5 to 10hp, maybe 15 at 5k, but would like to add a few more ponies if I could. the other option (also cheaper) would be to add an ECM programmer. However, because the M5 is not considered a 'sports car', there's not too much out there in terms of performance modifications. I'm planning on going to Importfest in Toronto in a couple of weeks, so I'll see what advise I cab pick up while there. Will post if I hear anything.

the other thing is that I called my Mazda dealer service advisor today and he mentioned that apart from voiding the warranty outright, the addition of a turbo might prove to be too much for the bottom end - pistons, rods, rings, etc. I would like the additional hp, nut not at the expense of blowing the engine! I'll have to evaluate further before making a final decision. Thanks for all your help dudes!!

It's a crossover. Drive one...you'll see it doesn't feel like a van at all (smash)

I did'nt mean how you thought i meant..It was out of curiosity...just like its not a station wagon, its a sport-hatchback...i understand

I constantly have friends and relatives call it a minivan or a mini-mini-van. Although in some ways it might look like one, it's basically a raised sports wagon with 6 seats. I'm only using 4 seats in mine because my subs need a place to sit. When driving, it feels like a small station wagon. Mine corners very well, and sounds like a sports car, so I tend to drive it that way. It all depends on how you look at it. In Europe they call it a sports wagon, or a space wagon. Here it's officially known as a MAV - multi activity vehicle. I should know, because I carried a total of 1500 pounds of laminate flooring last week home, with my low profile tires!! Can't do that in a north american small wagon! I love mine, but would love it more if it had 220hp (give or take a few), sorry, back to the power urges....

Make friends with a guy that runs a junk yard. Maybe he can set you up when a speed3 comes in. You could go that route.

I didn't like having an AUTO with a Turbo Saab. I have seen a lot of Saab owners have tranny problems.

If you keep your boost low enough, your 2.3 will be fine unless you are a looney, tire-smoking crazy guy. I want the turbo for highway passing. They aren't much good for 0-60 help anyway.

I think the 5's gear ratio would help negate stress on the engine. Like I stated... I'll wait 'til the warranty is up on mine.

I keep hearing about tranny issues with a turbo/auto setup, except from the place trying to sell me one that says there shouldn't be any issues. I don't want to get in over my head by having more problems later, so I think I'm going to take your advice and wait til my warranty is up too....maybe I'll change my mind by then. In the meantime, I'll continue to be on the lookout for a chip or ECM mod.

Thanks!

If I were to go turbo I would be patient and poor and get the entire drivetrain out of the Speed3. That would yeild the most OE result with the fewest after-swap headaches IMO. Besides its only a matter of time before someone does it anyway! I think the "autos don't work with turbos" argument is make specific. Look at Easy Street Motorsports with the WRX they HAVE to use autos because the torque converter allows the AWD system to survive 1,000 WHP. I'd rather have a manual myself, but that is personal preference.

If we're going to go the alternate drivetrain route, don't forget:

CX-7 FWD (turbo + auto)
Mazdaspeed6 (JDM Premacy has AWD, this must be possible, somehow...)

That's right! I drove the CX-7 auto and it really sucked!!, turbo or not. I think if I can find the right resources (pro installers), I WILL go with the Garett turbo setup. I just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure before dropping 6 or 7g's into ANY car! Plus, I don't wwant any headaches afterwards, if they can be avoided. I'm not planning on racing, but just want a little extra power for merging onto the highway, passing, etc.

Also, if anyone is interested, this is the place I got my dash kit and door sills from. They carry some M5 acc's, but I don't see the LED door sills anymore.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

before dropping 6 or 7g's into ANY car!......I'm not planning on racing...just want a little extra power for merging onto the highway, passing, etc.

You're gonna spend up to $7,000 for "a little extra power for merging onto the highway"?!? (screwy)

I keep hearing about tranny issues with a turbo/auto setup, except from the place trying to sell me one that says there shouldn't be any issues. I don't want to get in over my head by having more problems later, so I think I'm going to take your advice and wait til my warranty is up too....maybe I'll change my mind by then. In the meantime, I'll continue to be on the lookout for a chip or ECM mod.

Thanks!

Of course the place trying to sell you the turbo is going to tell you whatever you want to hear...and dude you are going to spend a ton of money turbo-ing a 5?? what is the point? No offense to 5 owners here, but you should just get a ms3 or a used msp. It's a hatchback and its got a turbo or the msp is a sedan/turbo. 5's are not meant to be fast or have turbos. You guys in this forum can tell me till you are blue in the face about how nicely your 5 handles because it is smaller than a van, but you have got to be kidding me. Drive an msp or speed3 and you'll forget about your 5...dont waste your money on turboing a 5, you will be disappointed when it is still slow and you wont be happy until you destroy it.

EDIT: my MSP probably has 100 more hp than a 5 and I am not happy with what a dog it is. No turbo in the world is going to help a 5...

I wouldnt buy anything from turbokits.com... I bought my turbo kit for my P5 from them... and after nothing fitting and them not sending me the right parts. I ended up just selling the kit and not installing it. Maybe it was just the company they were dealing with but that was my experience. I know I wont buy anything from them again. Thats my 2 cents.

Of course the place trying to sell you the turbo is going to tell you whatever you want to hear...and dude you are going to spend a ton of money turbo-ing a 5?? what is the point? No offense to 5 owners here, but you should just get a ms3 or a used msp. It's a hatchback and its got a turbo or the msp is a sedan/turbo. 5's are not meant to be fast or have turbos. You guys in this forum can tell me till you are blue in the face about how nicely your 5 handles because it is smaller than a van, but you have got to be kidding me. Drive an msp or speed3 and you'll forget about your 5...dont waste your money on turboing a 5, you will be disappointed when it is still slow and you wont be happy until you destroy it.

EDIT: my MSP probably has 100 more hp than a 5 and I am not happy with what a dog it is. No turbo in the world is going to help a 5...

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one... You ask whats the point of turboing a 5... well whats the point of turboing a Protege 5? The Protege5 wasnt meant to go fast or anything like that and a lot of people put turbos on them. Granted the msp & the P5 engines are almost the same but still. I say if you wanna put a Turbo on a Mazda 5 then go for it. But it will prolly cost an arm & a leg since this prolly hasnt been done before. And with the auto tranny.. as long as your not running a whole lot of boost then it should be fine. Eventually over time.. the tranny is gonna go out even with a tranny cooler cause of the excess abuse from the turbo. But just like the auto on the P5 and how weak it is.. anything is possible. Theres a lot of guys on here with turbo auto P5s. As most of you know.. you cant just slap on a turbo and hope for the best.. unless you have lots of money for repairs later down the road. If you really wanna turbo your Mazda 5 then go for... just do the precaution measures too of your run into problems. Things I would suggest... rebuild and get a better torque converter, run low boost.. like 5-6psi and do regular maintenance and you should be fine for a lil while. Thats my two cents.

No offense. MSP has a very good engine and setup for it time... but Mazda5 has much more potential than MPS.

Mazda5 has brand new and better design engine, Chassis, Suspension, transmission, Brakes, Safety... etc,. The Protege which the MSP based on is an updated, improved version (but not brand new design from ground up) of the 91 Protege. The technology different between the Mazda5 & MSP could be as much as 10 years if is not more.

And FYI, the horsepower differnet between a stock MSP(170) & Mazda5(153) is only 17hp. For both car to reach 270hp mark, I will believe it will cost about the same. I don't think you don't need to upgrade the stock turbo, intercooler and other parts on the MSP to reach that mark.

Does it worth the money to turbo a Mazda5? It is all depended on the person who write the check... Will I trade my 5spd Mazda5 for MSP? Hell No.

Last edited:
Back