Performance in Snow/Ice

Let me preface this by saying I did a search first, and I'm aware that tires make a huge difference in terms of winter driving.

With that said, how would you all rate the snow/ice performace of your CX-9? In particular, the Grand Touring AWD model. My commute is very short at 4 miles, but I do have to pass a fairly steep road that gets quite a bit of snow/ice at least 4-6 times per year. I'd like to avoid getting snow tires if possible. FWIW, I currently drive a Pilot that does GREAT in snow/ice, but it rides on narrowish 16" all-season tires with huge sidewalls.

Thanks in advance for all feedback/comments. (2thumbs)

I doubt anyone has had the opportunity to drive it in the snow yet.

And I'm hoping to avoid it as long as possible! :)

I am planning to get 18" snow tires to replace my factory 20" tires for the winter. Will post as soon as I have them and we get some snow.

Sorry Timmy but Its Too Early to Ask

My CX-9 is on a boat to Sweden (there is also another guy on this board who lives in Estonia with his Cx-9). In both countries we need winter tires from November to February (Studded or Gripped). My tireman sent me the following email (see extract).

If you wanted Winter tyres I would go for a 255/55VR/18, you are correct that the original size is a 245/60R/18. My recommendation is pretty much the same rolling radius and easily fits within the vehicle tolerances. This size give you more options than the original size that is very obscure.

The tyre we keep is the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme, these are superb tyres, give fantastic mileage and are also suitable all year round even though they are a winter tyre, we use them on one of our vans and drive them all year.
UNQUOTE

Basically, he suggests getting 18" rims for the GT and fitting Vredesteins.
Hopefully this is useful.

If you wanted Winter tyres I would go for a 255/55VR/18, you are correct that the original size is a 245/60R/18. My recommendation is pretty much the same rolling radius and easily fits within the vehicle tolerances. This size give you more options than the original size that is very obscure.

UNQUOTE

I was thinking the same with the odd tire size in our cx9. Is 255 tires too "wide" for the 7.5'' wheels? That's my concern. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

We just got our first "dusting" of snow last night here in Central Illinois, so not enough to test the GT's 20" all-season tires. Since mine is only the FWD version and not the AWD, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the handling of my old RWD pickup truck w/topper that I traded in for my CX-9...

Drove FWD Touring in 5" Snow

Western Chicago burbs got a healthy dumping last night.

My touring did quite well in the snow so far. Obviously, actual snow tires would be better, but it was not bad at all. The 4500+ lbs. is the biggest factor in the snow on city streets as no amount of all wheel drive will help a little car with low-profile tires floating on top of packed snow. (been there, done that...)

Having owned all wheel drive SUV-class vehicles before, I can state that unless you live in the mountains, AWD is really not needed for a competent driver familiar with winter driving (no offense intended AWD folks). I'd rather jettison the extra AWD pounds for the 95% of the time I am not driving in slop. Besides, the AWD system in the CX-9 takes the bat out of your hands. I'd like to be decide when it's on, not just depend on sensors.

I actually wish the CX-9 was rear wheel drive only. It would be a much more sporty vehicle then. It's actually safer to power slide your way around in snow if you know how. Police departments in the snow belt train their officers how to drive astonishing speeds around cars in the snow.

I hate it when a front drive car's wheels let loose on you in a turn and you start sliding at angle toward the outside of the turn. So far, this hasn't happened with the CX-9.

Last edited:
Hello all, I just got my 08 Grand Touring AWD CX-9 a few weeks ago. I live in North Dakota and am no stranger to snow and ice. I drove my CX-9 to Denver for Thanksgiving and Minneapolis last weekend. Both trips I drove through winter weather. Wether it was slush and ice or 5 to 8 inches of snow, the CX-9 performed awesome. The AWD never slipped and the traction control worked perfect!!! So, I would give the AWD a 10 out of 10!!!!

Plenty of snow in Detroit now. Loving the winter tires on my Protege5.

It really is all about the tires. What type of tire are the 20s?

If you have frequent snow and ice and want the largest margin of safety, winter tires tend to be the way to go.

Western Chicago burbs got a healthy dumping last night.

My touring did quite well in the snow so far. Obviously, actual snow tires would be better, but it was not bad at all. The 4500+ lbs. is the biggest factor in the snow on city streets as no amount of all wheel drive will help a little car with low-profile tires floating on top of packed snow....

I'm also in the Chicago area, driving a CX-9 GT.

I recently installed 18" snow tires on a set of dealer take-off 18" wheels to replace my 20" wheels / tires for the winter. While there is certainly a performance penalty on dry pavement, the traction in the snow and ice is amazing!

While I haven't found a big parking lot and intentionally tried to make it do bad things, I have definitely "accelerated briskly" from a standstill, both in a straight line and around corners. So far, no spinning tires, no sliding sideways, it just goes where I point it! Much better than our AWD minivan.

As stated above, obviously the biggest factor is still the weight of a large vehicle. Snow tires help a lot, but when there's no traction, stopping will always be an issue. One where AWD makes no difference whatsoever.

I am also in the Chicago area and my CX-9 Grand Touring GT AWD has to be the WORST AWD vehicle I have ever driven in the snow!!! Maybe I am doing something wrong is there a button or setting to get into a AWd high? I think it is RIDICULOUS that I can not make it up a moderately sloped Driveway in the snow.My wifes FWD van performed better...Why does The4WD light flash ? I tried turning the TCL off helped a bit but not what I would expect from a $40,000 AWD SUV....

So, the snow was not bad here in DC, but the ice was bad this morning. I have to say that the traction control system was outstanding. My old vehicle would brake the wheels and make crunching/poping sounds, which has normal for a VW. The traction control for breaking was awsome as I tested it on a slick road with so angled sliding.

Not completely correct...

If the AWD light is on something is wrong with your AWD.

According to page 5-17 of the owners manual:

"This warning light says on for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position.
Thereafter, the warning light will illuminate or flash under the following conditions:
* Illumuniates when there is an abnormality with the AWD system.
* Flashes when the differential oil temperature is abnormally high.
* Flashes when there are continually large differences between front and rear wheel rotation, such as when trying to pull away from an icy surface."

I've seen the AWD light flash on mine from time to time when trying to pull away from a stop at a slippery intersection, since we've gotten snow around here. The CX9 has gotten around just fine, but in winter if the front wheels start to slip that will trigger the AWD and the warning light for a few moments.

Ted

Besides, the AWD system in the CX-9 takes the bat out of your hands. I'd like to be decide when it's on, not just depend on sensors.

I AGREE not at all happy with how the AWD system reacted in this the first snow storm of the year for Chicago.

According to page 5-17 of the owners manual:

"This warning light says on for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position.
Thereafter, the warning light will illuminate or flash under the following conditions:
* Illumuniates when there is an abnormality with the AWD system.
* Flashes when the differential oil temperature is abnormally high.
* Flashes when there are continually large differences between front and rear wheel rotation, such as when trying to pull away from an icy surface."

I've seen the AWD light flash on mine from time to time when trying to pull away from a stop at a slippery intersection, since we've gotten snow around here. The CX9 has gotten around just fine, but in winter if the front wheels start to slip that will trigger the AWD and the warning light for a few moments.

Ted

There are 2 lights. One is a vehicle with squiggly marks behind it, this is the one that comes on when the DSC/TCS is activated. There is also a 4wd light that comes on when there is a problem.

I AGREE not at all happy with how the AWD system reacted in this the first snow storm of the year for Chicago.

The AWD system is one of the most advanced systems on the market. There is either something wrong with your car or you need better tires for the conditions you drive in. Don't blame the whole car for the limited traction of the tires. I have Nokian WR all-weather tires on my CX-7 with the same AWD system and it is absolutely amazing in the winter.

Back