Leather Installed / Naked Seats reveal nothing

HotRodSaint

:
Mazda5 Touring 5 Speed
I had leather installed this week. I special ordered the kit from an overseas manufacturer.

The first kit they sent me (after I assured them that it was the same) was for the European version. It was pretty close. But one of the center backrest covers had a slot for a release pull to pass through. I assume this is to release the jump seat backrest after it is locked in place. And the 3rd row headrests are about 3" longer. Also it didn't have center armrests.

While the cloth was removed, I looked at the seats to see if we could retrofit a front passenger armrest and outside center armrests. Not doable without some custom fabrication. There are brackets welded into place where the armrests attach, but only where there are armrests. There are no hidden brackets. Same goes for the fold down tray table.

I still have to install the doors and shift boot tomorrow. I took them to a custom upholstery shop to 'improve' their appearance.

Then I will reveal her secrets here, before everyone else in the world sees it! (sssh)

Then I will reveal her secrets here, before everyone else in the world sees it! (sssh)

Until then, here's a little teaser!

Tease.jpg

And the 3rd row headrests are about 3" longer.

Added to the useless list of auto market differences (eek2). I'm guessing it is due to some weirdo safety regulation from Euro NCAP or any other transport safety type agency where you bought it.

Did you choose black leather? (naughty) :D

embedded..ee94cc5

Ok, here's some quick pictures of my new leather interior, complete with a Mazdapseed3 steering wheel.

SW01.jpg

SEAT01.jpg

SW02.jpg

SEAT02.jpg

Ok, here's some quick pictures of my new leather interior, complete with a Mazdapseed3 steering wheel.

Your Mazda5 has just topped the list of my favs with that interior and RX-8 wheels. The whole leather work looks very clean.

(humpleg)That looks great! I especially like the upper door panels with the red stitching, something that is usually not my cup of tea but you pulled it off nicely! I think yours looks acres better than the OEM leather (no offense to you NA GT owners) Keep up the good work Saint.

Very nice! Now you have to get all the dash and console lighting swapped over to red LED's, and perhaps some in the footwells for nighttime ambience.

time to tell us how its done :D

You start by opening your wallet.That's really the hardest part!

Then they remove all the seats and door panels. This is a good time to upgrade your speakers, especially the rears since having the 3rd row removed makes taking that panel off much easier. So I installed 4 Kenwood KFC-C6880ie.

Then they strip the cloth from the seats. This is when I checked the frames under the foam for hidden brackets. None there.

Then they install the leather covers the same way the cloth was attached, and reinstall your seats.

It's much easier to install the rear doors before they put the seats in. I learned this the hard way.

Very nice! Now you have to get all the dash and console lighting swapped over to red LED's, and perhaps some in the footwells for nighttime ambience.

I was trying to change a button from the MZSPD3 cruise control to the MZ5 switch, and use the MZ5 switch instead. I wasn't even thinking about the LED color, I was worried about the darker silver spoke color.

But I busted a clip taking apart the MZ5 switch and was forced to use the MZSPD3. That's when I realized that they were red and not green.

But I like it like this. The red doesn't really stand out as being odd, since it's on the steering wheel and not the dash. And it turns out the darker color of the MZSPD3 spokes matches the ring around the speedo.

looking great. was the upgrade to the Kenwood KFC-C6880ie speakers worthwhile?

Back