CPE standback- RPM vs TPS or RPM vs MAF?

Hello my friend just got his CPE and we took it out for a test. Couldn't do much because there is no wideband yet.

I noticed the default settings for tuning the fuel is based on TPS and for timing it was MAP. I was just wondering what most people are using to tune with the ms6? I personally prefer to use MAF for fuel...? Any reasons why TPS would be default?

Can't you change the it? I believe it's on the main screen where you tell it what your x-axis is.

You can tune either way you wish.

Tuning via controlling the spill valve, i.e. the big screen with the little dot, will be controlling fuel pressure, and will only be valid during open-loop and pretty much WOT.

Tuning via MAF XF function will allow you to tune everywhere.

THe cool thing about tuning via spill valve, it definetely has tons more resolution. Using the MAF sensor doesn't quite have the resolution that their other function does.

But the nice thing about it is, either way you tune, you can see exactly which area you're tuning in, via the little dot that will appear on the map, and this is the dot that appears in any of the tuning maps you choose. The dot will move to the corresponding range you're working with as you modulate throttle and MAF voltage.

It seems that tuning soley via MAF in certain ranges might have you over-running your MAF at some point?

Last edited:
Which big screen with the little dot? I'm browsing through the test software trying to learn it... is it this screen?
BoostControlScreen.jpg

Which big screen with the little dot? I'm browsing through the test software trying to learn it... is it this screen?

No, if you go to the tab that says "Pri-Fueling(Rpm vs. TPS)"

You will see a dot. Depending on which map you have selected. Anyways, when you go to the map, you will see the dot move, when you blip the throttle. This is how you know what range you are tuning in.

You can do this on the Pri, and Sec maps. THese are the two maps you can switch to on the fly. TUning on these maps will only allow you to tune the OPEN loop values.

Also, if you want to tune via MAF XF function, you will hit the tab that says, "MAF XF." THis will allow you to tune closed loop values if you want. WHen you go here, you will see a dot as well.

The easiest way to figure out where the standback is is to switch to different maps, and blip the throttle. Do this for a few minutes and it will start to maek more sense.

Gotcha - I don't actually have the PnP yet so blipping the throttle won't work but I hear what you're saying.

Another question though - you say that you can only tune open loop in this map. Can I ask why you say that? It shows TPS% (the top row) and WOT(open loop) won't hit until you're into the higher TPS % values and yet you can see lower TPS% which would indicate closed loop (part throttle). Changing the square at .9 TPS & 241 RPM as an example is certainly not open loop. Here's a shot for those learning as I am ..

PriFuelingScreen.jpg

Last edited:
That's because you can not tell the ECU (at least not through the Standback) when to go out of closed loop operation and as long as it operates in closed loop it will take the O2 sensor readings and adjust fuel to achieve a stoichiometric A/F ration of 14.7:1, no matter what you input in the cells.

I just realized I posted up the Fueling (AFR) table and meant to post up the Timing or Boost Control table.

I know you can't tune AFR in closed loop, but it looks as if the other 2 variables I mention can be done in closed loop.

Can you confirm forrest?

I just realized I posted up the Fueling (AFR) table and meant to post up the Timing or Boost Control table.

I know you can't tune AFR in closed loop, but it looks as if the other 2 variables I mention can be done in closed loop.

Can you confirm forrest?

I'm not sure which variables you are referring to?

But you can't modify the "Pri Fueling" maps in closed loop as you said. I've tried it, and the car will go where you tell it too for a second, but then it will auto-correct itself back to where it wants to be.

BUt I believe you can modify the MAF XF and the Fuel Press XF functions outside of open loop? I was only screwing with it briefly, and I don't remember if the values were sticking or not? But I believe they were.

I will get around to messing with and tuning it more when I get my FMIC on the car.

Sorry, the 2 other variables were the boost & timing but it looks like it's only timing that has the table format as in the fuel table example above.

Did you get a manual with the Standback or was it learn-on-the-fly?

Sorry, the 2 other variables were the boost & timing but it looks like it's only timing that has the table format as in the fuel table example above.

Did you get a manual with the Standback or was it learn-on-the-fly?

Boost and timing can be adjusted anywhere on the power curve.

I have a manual, but I have one of the beta manuals, but I guarantee you'll learn more just by dicking around with it one day in car than looking at the manual.(wiggle)

It depends on LOAD. Load is a calculated value from RPM and throttle position.

The following was lent from another forum so it might or not apply to our engines directly but you get the idea:

1 more question!: How is engine load calculated?

For 32bit DBW ECU: Mass airflow in grams per second divided by 60 divided by rpm, i.e. 300 g/s, divided by 60, divided by 6000rpm = engine load of 3.0

For 16bit, double the result of the above calculation. So 2.0 load on a 32bit ECU is equivalent to 4.0 on a 16bit ECU. They just happen to use a different scale, but are certainly directly comparable as long as you double or halve the value accordingly.

Back