Hard wire for Radar Detector

I want to install direct power for my Passport 8500. I had it in my previous car and I tap in into the wire located behind the cover for sunroof controls. When I turned ignition on my radar detector goes on. I want to have the same in my 08 GT. Does anyone has the Tech manual and can tell me what wire to use? Thank you in advance.

RC51,

Thank you. I prefere something on the top, because I like my radar detector on the top next to the rearview mirror--is it anything there? May be inside lights? What color wire I need to tap in? Thank you in advance

P.S. CX9 SportOwner please see first line in the RC51 reply. I do not like to see this in my rearview (five-0) Thank you.

Cx9 its not illegal in but mabey 2 states in the US. he didnt ask for some bs smart remark. if you dont have something useful to say, Dont speak

My Passport is mounted on top as well. Tap the port i told you about and run the line from under the glove box(the panel pops off) and up the passenger side A pillar (you can easily tuck in the wires)- go across and then down towards the mirror. I'll have to post some pics, I'm rather lazy in that dept. Good luck

RC51,

Thank you. I prefere something on the top, because I like my radar detector on the top next to the rearview mirror--is it anything there? May be inside lights? What color wire I need to tap in? Thank you in advance

you wont see it if you drive responsibly.

Sorry to be off topic but this has to be one of the most rediculous things I have seen today. Either you are pulling this guys chain or you're a self righteous nincompoop. So you're going to say that you NEVER speed? Forget it, I am not wasting any more of my time on that nonsense.

Fuse tap

WHATEVER

Tap the powerport that's below the AC controls for switched power. To access, gently pop up the panel around the shifter.

That's what I used to do back in the days. From what I heard, hot wire tapping into another source might just overload that specific device. Why not just buy a Fuse tap at advanceauto/ pepboys/autozone? IMO, it's a lot safer and your detector has its own fuse. (cool) Also this is completely reversible. No splicing is need!

Attachments

• fuse_tap.gif
    fuse_tap.gif
    44.8 KB · Views: 388
Crystalwhitey,

Thank you. No doubts; that will make a perfect installation, but now I need to find port i can use. I need to use one which goes on and off along with the engine. Do you know what is avilable there? (i mean, fuse panel port) I do not have wiring diagram.
Thank you.

Crystalwhitey,

Thank you. No doubts; that will make a perfect installation, but now I need to find port i can use. I need to use one which goes on and off along with the engine. Do you know what is avilable there? (i mean, fuse panel port) I do not have wiring diagram.
Thank you.

I would say to use the homelink/garage door opener. That's a very common one people use. I wish I have a service booklet too. I believe someone on this CX9 forum has it though...GL

p.s for those fuse taps, there's the "regular" and "mini" ones....make sure you get the right fuse size to go along with them. Don't forget to ground the black wire too..

Are you planning to do jamming too? I heard blinder x50 is the sh!t haha

Last edited:
Are you planning to do jamming too? I heard blinder x50 is the sh!t haha

Thank you for info. I will check to see what I can use. And re: jammer; now that illegal everywhere and its not pay to use if you'll got caught with it. So far my x50 pay for itself twice, maybe three times. I do not think I need to push it further. lol

I have the 9500i wired fully up the a-pillar with a phone cord and plugged in to cig lighter. The a-pillar rubber pulls away and you can tuck the phone wire behind the plastic cover.

what is driving if you can't indulge once in a while. Besides when I drive passively like most out there is when you get pulled over, not when your focused and trusting instincts and the detector. It's not about speeding, its about competency, wake up and drive.

nuff said

I would say to use the homelink/garage door opener. That's a very common one people use.
Homelink/Garage Opener is not switched 12v.
The OP wants an switched 12v.
Both constant 12v and switched can be found inside the left kick panel.
If you have the autodimming mirror, then, the power wire is switched 12V.

You might want to check how much power the detector consumes if you decide to tap in.
Otherwise, the previous suggestion (with a fuse) seems best to me.

Homelink/Garage Opener is not switched 12v.
The OP wants an switched 12v.
Both constant 12v and switched can be found inside the left kick panel.
If you have the autodimming mirror, then, the power wire is switched 12V.

You might want to check how much power the detector consumes if you decide to tap in.
Otherwise, the previous suggestion (with a fuse) seems best to me.

Check out the Mirror/Compass Homelink document.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106761

I used this document to utilize the switched +12v cable to power my (2) Alpine 7" headrest LCDs. I tapped into the Black/Yellow cable like the instructions say and my LCDs turn off when the car is off.

That is the cable they are talking about.

I have 9540 attached next to remote start antenna, right side of rear view mirror.
When I installed my rear mirror with compass and home link, I run power cable for 9540 and tapped it to switched 12v (compass) for rear view mirror.
I have no problem with overload or something like that so far. It works like a charm. I usually turn it off. I only turn on if I have a long trip.

Back