Dazed and Confused--Send help

ClydeMc

First off.... Thank you all for your commentary, it has been very helpful. Here is my dilemma; I am stationed overseas in Italy, and I'm thinking of buying a new car. My choices are the 08 CX-9 AWD GT, and either the Volvo V50 or XC-70. Problem: Mazda is 1% over MSPR; however the dealer adds over 3k on to the price. Items like $332 for admin fees, destination charge, 1125 for shipping, 25 for gas. There's a list of other charges too from scotch guard to undercarriage sealer. I could wait up to 6mts for a new 08. I have seen the CX-9 and sat in it. Could not test drive, manager was out sick that day, and the next day the car was returned to Germany. I'm thinking of buying one through the states and shipping it over here myself.
The Volvo, different story.... They have plenty to test drive and they will offer me a loaner till mine arrives. But I've read that a Volvo is nothing more then an over priced Ford. However the discounts on the Volvo nearly exceed the Depreciation value of the first year of ownership. However, I love the Zoom-Zoom. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your wonderful forum
Clyde (confused)

We have had a Volvo 850 wagon for over 10 years (and over 230K miles). The XC-70 is an AWD version with slightly more ground clearance. But bottom line, it's a car. It's a lot lower than the CX-9, and has quite a bit less interior space. There are only two rows of seats (the 3rd row rear facing seats are a joke). Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT car (NOT an overpriced Ford), but it really isn't a direct comparison to the CX-9. If I didn't need the seating capacity of the CX-9, we probably would have bought another Volvo, probably either the XC-70 or the V70 AWD.

Volvo => buy used, atleast 2 years old. Else, depreciation will hurt bad!!
If you MUST buy brand new, look at the 2007 models. Right now, they can be had for almost $10k off sticker!

We got our Volvo used with 12K miles on it for about 60% of the original sticker price. Definitely let someone else take that initial depreciation hit!

Thanks Guys,
Now let me throw in the monkey wrench ..... I have been email a dealership back in the states; he'll offer me a 07 AWD GT MSRP is 40,460 for 35,955 with 0% fin. This is with USAA Car buying program. Now I have not spoken with auto exchange over here in Italy, but he stated once before that they only receive Fleet discounts and not the Mazda Promotions that the dealers get back home. He has the vehicle listed with Moonroof and the entertainment packages...is that possible??? Also, is the only difference between the 07 and 08 the engine and the BLIS system????
The Volvo comes out to be 35049 with all option packages and a few extras. Financing with USAA 4.9%
So, should I run for the CX-9??? Did I mention Crystal White w/Black interior, I would have preferred the Copper Red w/Sand :)
Thanks
Clyde
(uhm)

Attachments

• price07ae.jpg
    price07ae.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 145
Thanks Guys,
Now let me throw in the monkey wrench ..... I have been email a dealership back in the states; he'll offer me a 07 AWD GT MSRP is 40,460 for 35,955 with 0% fin. This is with USAA Car buying program. Now I have not spoken with auto exchange over here in Italy, but he stated once before that they only receive Fleet discounts and not the Mazda Promotions that the dealers get back home. He has the vehicle listed with Moonroof and the entertainment packages...is that possible??? Also, is the only difference between the 07 and 08 the engine and the BLIS system???? The Volvo comes out to be 35049 with all option packages and a few extras. Financing with USAA 4.9%
So, should I run for the CX-9??? Did I mention Crystal White w/Black interior, I would have preferred the Copper Red w/Sand :)
Thanks
Clyde
(uhm)

You can either get the Moonroof/Bose package or the RSES package, but not both. The BLIS and the engine are the only changes.

Back