AWD Option?

fraochdha

Hey everyone,
I've read that the AWD option adds almost 1000+ lbs to the CX-9. Can anyone confirm this? And does the AWD option add lots of control or does it just add alot of weight? 1000+ lbs seems like it'd hold it back from a good launch.

P.

Hey everyone,
I've read that the AWD option adds almost 1000+ lbs to the CX-9. Can anyone confirm this? And does the AWD option add lots of control or does it just add alot of weight? 1000+ lbs seems like it'd hold it back from a good launch.

P.

In the 08 CX-9 brochure it states that the base curb weight is FWD: 4312 & AWD: 4528 only 216 lbs. extra.

Last edited:
There are those that will argue, but IMO AWD is worth its weight in gold, esecially as HP numbers rise in production cars. Just this morning it came in very handy on my way to work, where construction trucks had tracked mud into an intersection that I am at every morning, where you're required to accelerate quickly from a side street onto a busy frontage road. No wheelspin drama...it just goes. The FWD / RWD cars I owned prior would have spun and squealed and basically pissed me off. Well worth the 200 lb penalty. It also completely squelches torque-steer.

See attachment...'nuff said!

Attachments

• FWDsucks.jpeg
    FWDsucks.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 315
...And does the AWD option add lots of control or does it just add alot of weight? ...

If you stop at an uphill corner with any moisture on the pavement, when you start with a FWD vehicle, the tires will spin or the traction control will kick in and limit your power. In either case, the weight transfer due to the hill and starting will always limit how much power can be applied to the front wheels.

We have had two pairs of vehicles to make 2WD vs 4WD comparisons. We had two Ford Aerostars, a RWD and an AWD and two Volvo V70's, a FWD and an AWD. We now have a CX-9 AWD. In all cases the AWD was far better in anything but dry conditions. For us here in Chicago, this more than offset the additional cost / complexity / weight of the AWD systems. For us, it's AWD on all future vehicles!

... It also completely squelches torque-steer.

The AWD system is not full time so I don't see how it could have any effect on torque steer. Most of the time the rear end isn't even connected and 100% of the power goes up front. A well designed FWD solution won't have any real noticable torque steer.

The AWD system is not full time so I don't see how it could have any effect on torque steer. Most of the time the rear end isn't even connected and 100% of the power goes up front. A well designed FWD solution won't have any real noticable torque steer.

The CX-9 FWD has no torque steer that I've been able to detect...yet. But I've only had mine for 4 days.

At least for me seems easy to decide wheter to have awd vrs 4x4 than fwd vrs awd. In the end both have pros and cons..... its up to the buyer having good info to decide well.

I originally purchased my vehicle thinking it was an AWD. I got home and found the window sticker in the back and it said FWD. I was pissed. I went back and complained and the dealership said, we will order a new vehicle and get it in but it will be a 2008 vs 2007 and we will charge 2,000 USD more. I said hell with that. So long story short I have the FWD. I was not impressed by the AWD system on the CX-9 as it is not a 4x4, but a 2x2 but alternating front wheel/back wheel traction as explaned to me by the dealer.

I originally purchased my vehicle thinking it was an AWD. I got home and found the window sticker in the back and it said FWD. I was pissed. I went back and complained and the dealership said, we will order a new vehicle and get it in but it will be a 2008 vs 2007 and we will charge 2,000 USD more. I said hell with that. So long story short I have the FWD. I was not impressed by the AWD system on the CX-9 as it is not a 4x4, but a 2x2 but alternating front wheel/back wheel traction as explaned to me by the dealer.

2X2 :eek: four wheel drive - never heard that before (sssh)

2X2 :eek: four wheel drive - never heard that before (sssh)

That is because not all of the CX-9 AWD's wheels are provided power. The power is alternated to two wheels at a time in a cross pattern. This is what the dealership explained to me. It is not a true 4x4.

You need to buy a dedicated SUV to get true 4X4, especially if you want to go off-roading. AWD is the civilized man's version of 4X4, mostly used to improve road manners and give you a bit of an advantage in rain and snow.

If you want to know more detail, check out this link

Say what?

That is because not all of the CX-9 AWD's wheels are provided power. The power is alternated to two wheels at a time in a cross pattern. This is what the dealership explained to me. It is not a true 4x4.

The dealer is feeding you a line of junk. Check out the thread in this section that explains how the system works. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123693098

The CX-9 is primarily FWD until slippage or unusual directional behavior is sensed and then power is fed to the rear wheels up to a maximum of 50/50 front/rear in normal mode (there are two other modes, sport and snow, that will have the AWD engaged automatically but the driver doesn't control this, the software does).
The rear differential is a limited slip design and will distribute power to the wheel with the most traction. The front, as far as I can determine, is an open differential so power won't get sent to the wheel with the most grip.

Bottom line is that the system will send power to all four wheels at once if the need is there. But there is no provision for manually locking the system into AWD mode.

Ted

Last edited:

This is very useful link to videoclip - explaining much of the mazda 4WD system.
2007 Mazda CX-7 Crossover SUV, Kelvin Hiraishi

First half explaining engine and turbo and starting from 11.45 its hits the drive system explanation.

I know its not CX9 but CX7, but i'm confident they use the same system on both cars...

That is a big kick in the (nuts)! Pretty much UNBELIEVABLE!

Your dealer is feeding you a nice big slice of B/S.

The AWD on the CX-7/9 is priceless, you'll never know it's virtues until you go back to FWD, it matters, I just had pulled out of a street and at the stop sign it had water flowing into the street, I turned, pulled away with heavy throttle, no wheel spin, no drama, just AWD+DSC working in Unison, keeping me on the road and not cutting the power to regain traction, no embarrassing loss of power, just excellence.

Also, the 2K extra isn't just the AWD, you get BLIS, the bigger engine etc.. I would have taken it.

AWD definitely worth it... when it works

I have an 07 AWD touring, and recently found out that the AWD went out, leaving me with just FWD. Previously I could take a dirt road at about 50MPH and it would just stick to the road, no slipping or drifting. After I was able to determine the AWD went out (leaving me stuck on a snow covered dirt road up a mountain canyon) I took the same road coming home and it was all over the road, with a lot of slipping and drifting.

Back