Mazdaspeed Springs and Dampers

HotRodSaint

:
Mazda5 Touring 5 Speed
I installed the JDM Mazda5 Mazdaspeed springs and the US Mazda3 Mazdaspeed shocks & struts (which in the Japanese Mazda accessories catalogues shows them using the same part number between the MZ3 and MZ5).

First impression out of the box, instead of these pretty blue shocks/struts being stamped Mazdaspeed or having a Mazdaspeed sticker, they are stamped FoMoCo.

First impression looking at the car. It's a subtle drop. Looks to be about .75". I didn't measure the stock height so I don't have any real reference. It has a factory tuned look and not a boy racer look (no disresepect to boys or racers).

First impression driving the car. It's stiffer, but less stiff than I expected (or feared?). I've only experienced one commute home along my usual route which includes some aphault roads in need of resurfacing and a few railroad tracks. The suspension is noticably stiffer, but it still absorbs the bumps rather than transmitting them into the driver seat.

In a few weeks, when the suspension settles, I'll take some photos. I'll also try to find some interesting freeway transitions to test it's effects on handling.

But so far, I'm very happy with the results.

And I want to give props to Corksport for ordering the springs for me. They were very helpful and didn't even try to talk me into their equally priced Autoexe springs (which probably would have been my second choice).

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the pics! I have been thinking about putting a set of 15mm spacers on the rear wheels top push them out a little. FoMoCo on the shocks and struts eh? Jeez I mean the least they could do is spray paint the damn things right? LOL

So, how would you say the rear camber is after installing the springs and shocks?

I'm thinking that a drop of .75" will not impact the camber. It's not like the H&Rs that I have that dropped the car at least 1.75" and threw the camber out of wack.
Anthony

I'm thinking that a drop of .75" will not impact the camber. It's not like the H&Rs that I have that dropped the car at least 1.75" and threw the camber out of wack.
Anthony

How do you like the ride of you're five with the H&R drop?
Also did you keep stock shocks or replace them when you replaced your springs?

How do you like the ride of you're five with the H&R drop?
Also did you keep stock shocks or replace them when you replaced your springs?

The ride quality with the H&Rs is harsh, there's no denying that. But I like the feel and the look...It's something you either like or hate, there's no middle ground. But you have to remember that I've always been used to lowered cars so for me the adjustment was not a big deal.

I used the stock struts/shocks and have never had any bottoming out problems. To-date I've put over 15K with this suspension and the stock struct/shocks are holding out better than I expected. I do plan to upgrade the struct/shocks to M/Speed or Tokico components when it's time to replace them.

I'm also thinking that I'll revert to my stock suspension next year after my daughter gets her license. It's going to be too difficult for her to drive the car this low without wrecking the front lip. So I'll most likely go back to stock next September when she turns 16.
So far my son has been driving the '5' on and off without any incidents....but that's probably because I've threatened him with 'grevious bodily harm' if he so much as scrapes the car. I can't do this to my daughter (you know how it is with Fathers and their daughters......).

Anthony

Anthony

Anthony, did you add front or rear camber plates/adjustments when you put on the H&R springs? If so, was it absolutely neccessary or could you have done without? Which brand and specifications? Can the local tire shop add the camber adjustments?

Anthony, did you add front or rear camber plates/adjustments when you put on the H&R springs? If so, was it absolutely neccessary or could you have done without? Which brand and specifications? Can the local tire shop add the camber adjustments?

I had some serious -ve camber on the rear end after installing the H&Rs...The rear camber was totally out of wack.
I ended up having to get a set of MazdaSpeed camber adjustment plates for the Mazda3 installed. The camber could not be adjusted without the use of these plate.
They pulled the camber pack in line, but they were pretty darn expensive, and i had to get the dealer to source and install them for me. If you are thinking of the H&Rs bear this in mind.
Anthony

Thanks for the info.

Now I know MZ3 and MZ5 shared same struts/shocks even though most catalogues don't list applicaton for MZ5.

I installed the JDM Mazda5 Mazdaspeed springs and the US Mazda3 Mazdaspeed shocks & struts (which in the Japanese Mazda accessories catalogues shows them using the same part number between the MZ3 and MZ5).

Koni shows differ p/n for MZ3 and MZ5 (both front and rear). I wonder what the difference is?

Koni shows differ p/n for MZ3 and MZ5 (both front and rear). I wonder what the difference is?

I think there is also a different part number between the stock OEM MZ5 shocks and the stock OEM MZ3 shocks.

The difference in the Koni's would most likely be the damping rate. But which would be better for you is trial and error.

I think there is also a different part number between the stock OEM MZ5 shocks and the stock OEM MZ3 shocks.

The difference in the Koni's would most likely be the damping rate. But which would be better for you is trial and error.

Hey Saint, just noticed on your cardomain page that you installed RX-8 wheels on your 5. I'm getting some today. Those are 18X8 right? What tire size do you have??

I'm not following you.

I used Mazda5 specific Mazdaspeed springs, so they are most likely stiffer to handle the additional weight.

Mis-read the original post. I thought in JDM catalog, both springs and dampers are the same p/n.

Just wondering, are MS3 dampers same length as OEM MZ5?

I am also thinking about installing MS3 dampers but with factory springs (same ride height but more responsive).

Mis-read the original post. I thought in JDM catalog, both springs and dampers are the same p/n.

Dampers are the same p/n and the springs are different. At least in the '07 JDM catalog. I'm not sure about the '08 catalog.

Just wondering, are MS3 dampers same length as OEM MZ5?

The Mazdaspeed dampers are the same part numbers, so I'd assume they are the same length. You could check the parts department and if the stock ones share the same p/n, then it's 100% confirmed.

(FWIW: They are stamped FoMoCo. So they might even be Ford Focus dampers.)

I am also thinking about installing MS3 dampers but with factory springs (same ride height but more responsive).

That wouldn't be a bad set-up for a daily driver.

Back