Are roof rails level?

TinMan

My rails are on order, but I have a question that I can't seem to answer by looking at available pictures: Is the center section of the top of the roof rails level with the ground, or do they slope up from back to front matching the roof-line of the CX-9? This would matter when installing a roof-top box carrier. If it is going to be tilted up in the air, a shorter box would be better, but if the rails are level, a longer box would be fine. Could someone with rails run out and tell me? I just can't tell from pictures, but I am leaning toward not level, i.e. follows the incline of the roof in that section.

It is level

They're completely level. The roof line sweeps back down, however, the rack (at least the OEM roof rack) is 100% level.

Sweet. That means the space between the rail and the roof is greater at the back than at the front of the rail? Can;t tell that from the photos, but I am sure glad it is level. Didn't make sense otherwise: mounting a roof box that was tilted up in front would create some lift at speed...

On my CX-9 they don't seem to be level. The roof rails are the same distance away from the roof so they curve just like the roof does.

Got them today, they don't seem level to me either. I have a 4ft level, so when I get the cross rails on, I am going to check for level across them. Should be tomorrow. Kind of annoyed by that.

Not

Hmmm. Not even close to level... (notcool) Going box shopping today, big thule sale at ems. I think any box I put on is going to be raised up in the front. (rant)

For the benefit if others, I'll post pics if I still buy one.

I used my standard thule cross bars and no matter where I placed them I could not get a level on the rails, sooooo I put my Thule X1 box on and used a rubber shim under the box mounting points to level it before sinching down.

Back