Installing amplifier

Blue Swede

:
2008 Mazda 5, Sport Edition (European)
Hello!

I'm currently wainting for my 2008 mazda 5 and I'm thinking of installing a seperate amplifier to the sound system (cd changer/mp3). Does anyone know if it's possible in an easy way to connect the amplifier to the sound system? Are there any plugs I connect the amplifier to or do I have to cut any wires?

In my Mazda 626 hatchback -00 the speakers are ok but I have tried out some different stereos and there is a great difference between a cheaper JVC i tried and my Blaupunkt "top of the line 1999" that is mounted in the car now. My guess is that an amplifier in the new Mazda 5 will do some serious difference in the sound, both in the lower frequenses and in the higher ones.

Have anyone made this kind of install in your Mazda 5?

Well the factory Mazda radio does not have any Pre-outs. This means that you will have to buy a line level converter, or purchase an amplifier that accepts line level inputs.

Are you trying to amplify the sound to the existing speakers, or are you installing extra subwoofers? If you just want some more low end sound, you can get a bazooka tube with built in amp, and it will accept line level inputs. That's a cheap fix that won't take up too much room.

If you want to boost power to stock speaker, you're talking about a lot more work.

Thank you for your answers. Many years ago I saw a subwoofer that was able to put under a seat in the car, i.e. very thin. Does anybody know if it's still possible to find that kind of woofer? Perhaps someone have experience in that type of woofer, sound and so on.

Looking good! How much space is there under the front seats? I haven't got my Mazda 5 yet so I can't measure if it will fit. Is it possible to put it under the second row seats? My concern is if I put it under the front seats it will get overheated when hot air is blowing from the ventilation in cold weather.

If anyone use this kind of sub it would be great with som feedback from you folks!

I have the Kenwood under the front pass seat. It's thin enough that if you attach it with small blocks to raise it off the floor vents it works fine.
I considered putting a bazooka tube in the back but I didn't want to lose the storage space, and my wife prefers the woofer under her seat (wink)

I have the Kenwood under the front pass seat. It's thin enough that if you attach it with small blocks to raise it off the floor vents it works fine.
I considered putting a bazooka tube in the back but I didn't want to lose the storage space, and my wife prefers the woofer under her seat (wink)

Do you have a picture of your sub under the seat? How did you wire it up with the sound system, at the stereo or at the front/rear speakers? Sorry for all my questions...

I've got the JVC low profile under the passenger seat. It's even smaller than the Kenwood, but I'm sure it's less powerful. It adds a decent amount of low end, but don't expect miracles from something so small. Let me know if you're still interested in details and I'll post them. Basically, I ran the accessory and speaker connections to the HU and the power to the battery. I can take a couple of photos if you want. The JVC doesn't interfere with the seat adjustments at all. Since the Kenwood is a bit larger, I'm not sure about the clearances.

I've got the JVC low profile under the passenger seat. It's even smaller than the Kenwood, but I'm sure it's less powerful. It adds a decent amount of low end, but don't expect miracles from something so small. Let me know if you're still interested in details and I'll post them. Basically, I ran the accessory and speaker connections to the HU and the power to the battery. I can take a couple of photos if you want. The JVC doesn't interfere with the seat adjustments at all. Since the Kenwood is a bit larger, I'm not sure about the clearances.

I'm not in to any car moving sub, just some extra boost in the low end. I haven't decided yet on what sub/amplifier I will chose. It would be great if you posted some pics on your installation. Maybe I'll take my Mazda 5 to a car audio installer to get the job done. Don't want to mess something up in my new car.

Thanks!

I'm sorry I haven't been around here in a few days. I'll post some more info soon when I get a chance.

I ran the power lead through the firewall where the largest wire bundle already goes through. It's located behind the glove box, but you don't need to remove the glove box to reach it. You can see it under the hood at that general spot. I pushed a stiff wire through the rubber next to the other wires (from the engine side), taped the new wire to the end at the passenger foot well, and pulled it through.

I think when you want to add on an amplifier to run your subs with your stock head unit you'll need a Hi/Lo converter to get you your coaxial connections...if I remember they just hook up to the speaker wires on the head unit and the you just run your power and cables to the amp and sub. I'm not sure about the configuration of the new 08 5s but my 07 has a nice spot for a small sub right next to the trunk light in the back. Find a shop that's willing to put a little fiberglass down and you'll get a nice little custom looking sub enclosure....not very much bass, but a possibly tighter sounding bumps....

As for the underseat mounted subs, I think there is the Pioneer UD-SW8U 8" sub that is shallow enough for underseat use....

I think when you want to add on an amplifier to run your subs with your stock head unit you'll need a Hi/Lo converter to get you your coaxial connections...if I remember they just hook up to the speaker wires on the head unit and the you just run your power and cables to the amp and sub. I'm not sure about the configuration of the new 08 5s but my 07 has a nice spot for a small sub right next to the trunk light in the back. Find a shop that's willing to put a little fiberglass down and you'll get a nice little custom looking sub enclosure....not very much bass, but a possibly tighter sounding bumps....

As for the underseat mounted subs, I think there is the Pioneer UD-SW8U 8" sub that is shallow enough for underseat use....

Great. Thanks!

Many new amps come with a hi-lo adapter cable, if not they're fairly inexpensive. I just bought a used amp off the local craigslist and got the necessary cable from partsexpress.com. I'm going the cheap route with a used 10" JL sub and planning on fitting a box that takes up 1/3 of the space behind the 3rd row, but can be removed quickly if needed. I'll be installing it next month and will post pictures.

Kid Red has a custom 8" fiberglass enclosure for sale that fits into the area next to the trunk light.
http://msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123632379&highlight=subwoofer

The Pioneer 8" shallow sub (TS-SW841D) and its matching Pioneer enclosure (UD-SW8U) list for $260US, and should be able to inside a Karakuri box if you remove the bottom floor.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069929_297969765,00.html
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069931_308664739,00.html

Another alternative, cheap but weaker (as they're rated at a mere 50-60W RMS) than the above two are spare tire subwoofers - the Pioneer TS-WX50 and a similar unit by Bose made for Acuras, Infiniti's, and Nissans. The WX50 is a discontinued item, the spare tire subs are usually available on eBay for $50-70.
tswx50s.jpg

http://www.chez.com/difaura/autoradio/pioneer/sub.html

Last edited:
Back