Mazda 6 Short Shifter Install

Mazda6smtx

:
2004 Mazda 6
Okay everyone I installed my 5th TWM short shifter today and I decided that I would do a FULL write-up complete with TONS of pictures. So here it goes:

Tools needed:
3/8 drive socket wrench
3/8 drive 6" extension
3/8 drive 10mm socket
3/8 drive 12mm deep socket
Philips screwdriver.
Extacto knife
Thin slotted screwdriver
Hacksaw, dremel
5mm allen key

First remove the shift knob by unscrewing it counter-clockwise (pictured is an aftermarket knob but the stock knob is the same procedure)

twmsts-HPIM0622.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0623.jpg

Next Pull up on the cup holder to remove it. (Ignore the missing e-brake boot)

twmsts-HPIM0624.jpg

Pictured are the 2 little tabs that can cause some annoyance when removing the cup holders.

twmsts-HPIM0625.jpg

Lift and pull the rear end of the centre console to remove it.

twmsts-HPIM0626.jpg

Before taking it out the vehicle remember to remove the cigarette lighter plug and the ashtray light. (In the photo the cigarette lighter is broken, this is from the owner struggling to get it out without undoing it)

twmsts-HPIM0627.jpg

You will then have to remove a little screw on the left side (I4 owners I believe the screw is on the right side, I have no idea why there is only 1). You will then have to remove the 4 nuts holding the assembly down. They are a 12mm and a deep socket is recommended.

twmsts-HPIM0628.jpg

Next will be the removal of the secondary shift cable. To do this pull the cable off the spring loaded tab and set it aside.

twmsts-HPIM0629.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0630.jpg

Pull the secondary shift cable off of the shifter assembly.

twmsts-HPIM0631.jpg

Remove the primary shifter cable from the shifter by removing the 10mm nut.

twmsts-HPIM0632.jpg

Pull the primary shifter cable off of the shifter assembly.

twmsts-HPIM0633.jpg

Carefully remove the shifter assembly from the vehicle.

twmsts-HPIM0634.jpg

I recommend doing the following on a workbench rather than in the vehicle.

You will be required to remove a retaining ring that holds the pin that keeps the 2 parts of the shifter assembly together.

twmsts-HPIM0635.jpg

Its very tight so I suggest use something really thin such as a knife blade, and then slide a screwdriver between the assembly and the ring, and pry forward until the rings comes off. If you damage the ring it doesnt matter TWM include a replacement.

twmsts-HPIM0636.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0637.jpg

Slide the pin outward, you dont have to remove it, but you can if you want to.

twmsts-HPIM0638.jpg

Pry the shifter up and remove it from the assemblys base. BE CARE NOT TO MOVE THE SPRING OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES GETTING IT BACK TOGETHER.

twmsts-HPIM0639.jpg

Here is a shot of what the base assembly should like with the spring in its proper place. For those of you that popped your spring off use this picture as a guide on how it should be placed.

twmsts-HPIM0640.jpg

Pictured is the little tab that will need to be cut off.

twmsts-HPIM0641.jpg

You can use a hacksaw:

twmsts-HPIM0642.jpg

Or Dremel

twmsts-HPIM0643.jpg

I suggest the hacksaw while using a vice. This method is the fastest, maybe takes a minute.

twmsts-HPIM0645.jpg

Remove the plastic ring at the base of the shifter while keeping at the plastic parts.

twmsts-HPIM0646.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0647.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0648.jpg

Get some grease and apply it very liberally to that new TWM shifter.

twmsts-HPIM0649.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0651.jpg

Install the TWM shifter into the base of the shifter assembly.

twmsts-HPIM0652.jpg

Place the plastic piece that we removed from the stock shifter over the TWM shifter and re-install back on the shifter assembly.

twmsts-HPIM0653.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0654.jpg

Slide the pin back through to join the two parts together.

twmsts-HPIM0655.jpg

Press on the new TWM supplied retainer ring.

twmsts-HPIM0656.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0657.jpg

Next pry out the stock shifter bushings.

twmsts-HPIM0658.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0659.jpg

Install the primary shifter cable attachment to the TWM shifter. Use the 2 socket headed cap screws, along with 2 lock washers.

twmsts-HPIM0660.jpg

Place a small bolt or similar sized screw in the bas of the shifter assembly. This will relieve some tension on the primary shifter cable to avoid any possible damage.

twmsts-HPIM0661.jpg

Place the shifter assembly back in the vehicle. Re-install the secondary shifter cable.

twmsts-HPIM0662.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0663.jpg

Install the shifter bushings with washer on all four mounting studs.

twmsts-HPIM0664.jpg

Thread the bolt with a lock washer through the TWM shifter. (Lock washer cannot be seen from this angle.)

twmsts-HPIM0665.jpg

Then install the primary shifter cable. This is done in the following order, washer, sleeve, shifter cable, washer, nylon lock nut.

twmsts-HPIM0666.jpg

Then reinstall the centre console and cup holder along with your shift knob.

twmsts-HPIM0667.jpg

twmsts-HPIM0668.jpg

CONGRATUATIONS YOU HAVE NOW INSTALLED YOUR TWM SHORT SHIFTER.
I hope I took enough pictures.

Note: I4 owners your secondary shifter cable is on the left side not the right, however the same procedure is to be followed.

If anyone has any questions post them or send me a PM.

From your avatar and your name I see that you own a speed6, I've never done a short shifter install on the Speed6 before so I'm not sure if the directions will be the same.

No they're actually quite a bit easier. Which is always a good thing. Plus TWM's site has the full write up of the speed6 install with pics.

Back