Which glove box type does your MZ5 have?

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
I know this is a silly question, but I was about to clean the car this morning when I remembered the 2008 JDM pic in the .co.jp web site where the top of the glove box has a small storage "bin". I have an early 2006 Sport and it looks different from the JDM one (there is no way I can use mine for i.e. sunglasses, just check the angle).

I never cared before but I found it weird (Sunday morning (coffee) is needed maybe). The question is: Is this a 2007 and 2008 or a Sport, Touring, Mambo-Jumbo thing? Or possibly mine is so "old" that, yes, it is for all models since 2006, but later than my 2005 build?

Pics here. Mine is the one to the left, 2008 JDM is the one to the right.

Attachments

• 2006_Mazda5_Glove.jpg
    2006_Mazda5_Glove.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 359
  • 2008_Mazda5_Glove.jpg
    2008_Mazda5_Glove.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 400
Yes I have noticed the cubby-hole before, but I have never seen it outside of JDM.

Does the JDM have airbags?

I have the space for the sunglasses above the glove box on my 2007 1.8 TS2 model. Regarding sunglasses my M5 comes without a sunroof. It has a compartment for sunglasses next to the rear view mirror.

Thank you for the info guys.

Well, it seems that this is yet another couple of differences between the NA model vs. the European and Asian (or at least JDM) counterparts. Oh well, what the heck, the more I do useless research :D, the more differences I find (scratch). At least is a good Sunday morning time-killer :p

I made a couple of screenshots of the interior 360s from the Mazda Canada and Mazda Netherlands web sites. So in Europe and Japan the left and right driver models seem to have the glove box "bin" on top of it and the sunglasses' compartment next to the reading lights (roof). But for NA models, nada :(

As per mazdadude's question, yup, all of them have airbags (i.e. see the SRS-Airbag indicators in the dashboard in the one from Netherlands) so dunno the why some have the extra space and some don't.

Attachments

• 2007_Mazda5_Glove_Europe_right_hand.jpg
    2007_Mazda5_Glove_Europe_right_hand.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 2007_Mazda5_Glasses_Europe.jpg
    2007_Mazda5_Glasses_Europe.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I want that upper console sunglasses holder! I keep mine in the cubby on the left of the steering wheel and when I do an NHRA start from the traffic light my Ray-Bans head for South America! PS my 5 has that odd little shelf in the dash over the glove box as well (2007 Sport)

You have the little shelf? I have an '07 Sport, and no such shelf. I better go see if that mod can be done. (doh)

That guy on the YouTube could have cleaned his 5 a bit before filming. (deadhorse

I want that upper console sunglasses holder! I keep mine in the cubby on the left of the steering wheel and when I do an NHRA start from the traffic light my Ray-Bans head for South America! PS my 5 has that odd little shelf in the dash over the glove box as well (2007 Sport)

I wonder if we can just take that piece off...

I tried but there isn't anything underneath it from what I could see. Looks like we'd have to buy the piece from a Canadian (or other) model and remove the old and replace with the new.

We really gotta find a Mazda dealer from overseas who would hook us up with all the fancy-shmancy stuff the other models got....roof rails, sunglass holder, second row tables, storage shelf that this thread is about.... etc. etc.

Well that sucks. I'm with you on finding this part. I wonder how "slvrsleeper" got it?

I tried but there isn't anything underneath it from what I could see. Looks like we'd have to buy the piece from a Canadian (or other) model and remove the old and replace with the new.

We really gotta find a Mazda dealer from overseas who would hook us up with all the fancy-shmancy stuff the other models got....roof rails, sunglass holder, second row tables, storage shelf that this thread is about.... etc. etc.

I guess I must be a happy guy since I get all this as standard equipment in my Mazda 5...(rlaugh)

Gee I thought they all had that little shelf thingy, now I feel all special. I wouldn't go nuts trying to find one if I were you the damn thing is only deep enough for a pack of gum anyway.

never mind... i guess you are in Sweden!!(bang)

*Envy Smilie* + (cryhard)

Blue Swede, to make us feel less (burn), How many Kronas/USD/Euros do you pay for an 08 over there if I can ask? The 07 Top (kind of the Touring here?) I saw in Germany couple of months back was around Euro27,500 (wow). I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, but those extra bucks paid there "could" buy me tons of cool stuff here :D

27,500.00 (EUR) ~ $39,000.00 (USD) nowadays (uhm)

Attachments

• mazda5_top_price_June_2007_germany.jpg
    mazda5_top_price_June_2007_germany.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 181
Do you have a pic of yours posted somewhere?

Gee I thought they all had that little shelf thingy, now I feel all special. I wouldn't go nuts trying to find one if I were you the damn thing is only deep enough for a pack of gum anyway.

Has anyone found a suitable sunglass holder? I saw on ebay that there is a nifty holder that replaced the "oh crap" handle. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that hole spacing is right for our cars.

Any other ideas?

BTW, that little shelf above the glove box is trick. If anyone finds a source for that, please post it here.

You can purchase little holders that clip onto the visor for about $3 (for 2 of them) that will hold glasses. The snap shut over the ear pieces and hold the glasses. Not the best but they work fine.

Right now, I'm waiting for a 03+ Mazda6 with a sunroof to get parted out. It should fit right in with a little trimming on the headliner.

I also say on Ebay where someone was selling just the sunglass holder out of an Altima IIRC that looked like it would work, but I was afraid the color wouldn't match. Besides, I'd rather have an all-in-one unit.

*Envy Smilie* + (cryhard)

Blue Swede, to make us feel less (burn), How many Kronas/USD/Euros do you pay for an 08 over there if I can ask? The 07 Top (kind of the Touring here?) I saw in Germany couple of months back was around Euro27,500 (wow). I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, but those extra bucks paid there "could" buy me tons of cool stuff here :D

27,500.00 (EUR) ~ $39,000.00 (USD) nowadays (uhm)

Hi! Been away from this forum for a while! Anyway, we pay more for our cars compared to you in NA. With all extras I ordered for my MZ5 (parking sensors, chromed rear mirrors, engine heat system, towing bar (?) I payed almost $42,000.00. This is the "top of the line" model MZ5 in Sweden (if you don't go for a diesel, then you have to pay another $3,000-4,000. Yes, this is very expensive to you I guess. For this type of vehicle it is quite normal here in sweden. Just as you say you can buy tons off cool stuff "overthere". You have all reason to feel less "burned"! Still I think my Mazda 5 is worth every swedish krona (SEK) I paid for it. Have never been more satisfied with any car yet except for my 626 V6-92 I sold a couple of years ago.

So long!

Back