Exhaust

Heres a tip from an old school garage mechanic. DON'T put on after-market exhaust systems. More often than not you LOSE power and acceleration in exchange for that extra noise from the tailpipe. The reason for this is that anytime you change the perameters on a newer car you mess up the computers ability to properly manage the engine. The only way to add those type of accessories is to go into the comp and reprogram it, which most people can't do. Leave it alone.

Ever notice how most of those little cars SOUND fast, but are really sluggish and spewing smoke from the tailpipe? Detuned.

Heres a tip from an old school garage mechanic. DON'T put on after-market exhaust systems. More often than not you LOSE power and acceleration in exchange for that extra noise from the tailpipe. The reason for this is that anytime you change the perameters on a newer car you mess up the computers ability to properly manage the engine. The only way to add those type of accessories is to go into the comp and reprogram it, which most people can't do. Leave it alone.

Ever notice how most of those little cars SOUND fast, but are really sluggish and spewing smoke from the tailpipe? Detuned.

i beg to differ. a properly built cat back would have little to do with the cars engine management. if you reset the ecu after you install it anyway, it picks up on the mod, and relearns the maps. im willing to bet most will agree with me.

i dont spew smoke =)

Don't the comp in the cars today automatically tune the car for the conditions present, just as if you are at 7000ft compared to sea level, your comp will deal with less O2 in the air. I would imagine that it should be able to automatically find the right settings for taking benefit of any intake or exhaust assuming they indeed hold less friction than the stock systems.

Back