Has anyone seen option 1RV?

sJv

:
2008 CX-9 GT AWD, E46 M3, A4Q, and some old italian cars
My wife and I just bought a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD and are curious how well the rear view camera/mirror works. I was not able to find any cars in the SF south bay that had this option, and most of the dealers didn't even know it existed! Has anyone seen this, or have it on their car? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to add, or have the installation instructions?

Thanks!

-steve

My wife and I just bought a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD and are curious how well the rear view camera/mirror works. I was not able to find any cars in the SF south bay that had this option, and most of the dealers didn't even know it existed! Has anyone seen this, or have it on their car? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to add, or have the installation instructions?

Thanks!

-steve

Tester had this. It was cool and in a more logical place than the dash. The display is completely unnoticable until your hit reverse. Small dsplay, but clear enough for you to see hidden obstacles. I included this on my order rather than GT ASSIST.

I have this, since I don't want/need the navi. It is really cool, it only shows when you put the gear in reverse. It's clear and big enough since I always allow for extra inches. I ordered it because I know when I'm in the city I need to parallel park more easily, this acc helps parallel park perfectly (you know, when you only need to back up once and be done, not having to readjust several times). It helps if you are a great parallel parker, like me :)

If I have time I'll take pictures of it this afternoon.

Here's a pic. This was developed using special "transreflective" coatings and lighting technology by Gentex Corp.

2070405.005.1L.jpg

Did this come with your CX-9 or was it added afterwards? Did you do the install? If not, how much did it cost to have the dealer install it?

That's my crux of my question. Is the CX-9 pre-wired for this accessory, or is this accessory wireless, or does the interior have to come apart to install? I am tempted to just buy the kit and attempt it myself - it apparently comes with directions. I'd love to see the installation instructions ahead of time, though!

-steve

The interior work on that isn't too bad. Cutting the hole for the camera itself would be the scariest part. I know I was real nervous cutting the holes in my MPV's front bumper for the OEM foglights.

Overall, that would be a time-consuming DIY project, but if you got a friend to do the back while you did the front, I'm sure it could be done in an afternoon. Give it a shot, you'll be amazed at what you can do!

We did one here where I work, and the wiring is time consuming. The kit is also fairly expensive, around $650 MSRP. For DIY buy it online and get it cheaper.

We did one here where I work, and the wiring is time consuming. The kit is also fairly expensive, around $650 MSRP. For DIY buy it online and get it cheaper.

Get a camera (license plate mount) with wireless sender and LCD to mount on the visor.

1/3rd the price, no holes to cut, faster installation

You still have to remove the trim on the tailgate to tie into power and reverse wiring and tie into power in the visor area, but nothing in between.

EBAY has lots of them with different size LCD's, night vision cameras, wired and wireless.

As promised, here is the picture of mine. Disclaimer, this picture didn't do justice to the real thing. I have a 5 year old digicam, out of 5-6 takes, this was the best.

I'd not recommend you to DIY. I bought it as part of my spec, so it's covered under the original warranty. I was charged an extra $1000 for the whole thing incl. install. I dropped it off in the morning thinking it would be done in the afternoon, I checked at 5 pm it still wasn't ready. It was finally ready for pickup the next day and I know they weren't very busy that day. (The part wasn't available when I pick up the CX-9, so I had to come back 2 wks later)

I didn't go 3rd party, yes it's cheaper, Target sells one for $100, because even though it's wireless, you still have to hook the power cable. And then the viewfinder (the one you look at) also needs to be hookup somewhere easy to look at, without having another power cable go everywhere. I like the factory look and boy, the image is so sharp, I doubt any 3rd party can beat that. Even the service manager was wowed by it, she never thought it was so amazing (granted it was their first install!!) In fact I like to put the cx-9 in reverse just to play with it.

Attachments

• DSCN0912.JPG
    DSCN0912.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 374
Back