Thinking of a paint job...

joeboy

:
2010 MS3 CWP
I'm thinking of changing up the colour of my 5. Does anyone have expereince with having a car repainted - especially from black to a lighter colour? Just want to know if this is a bad idea. The body shop I deal with doesn't think it's a good idea considering later resale but then again, they agree it would look great. Also chips in the paint would show the black undercoat but there's always touch-up paint. Would love to get some opinions if you have any?

Let me know what you think between the blue and the orange...I'm definitely leaning towards the orange if I go ahead with the job.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FRONT_VIEW.jpg
    FRONT_VIEW.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 408
  • FRONT_VIEW_BLU.jpg
    FRONT_VIEW_BLU.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 367
  • REAR_VIEW.jpg
    REAR_VIEW.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 345
  • REAR_VIEW_BLU.jpg
    REAR_VIEW_BLU.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 281
why dont you just do a WRAP of teh car....but if you do paint those colors are hot and go well with the rack.

Black and Blue......Does sound like a lot of $$$ though.
I certainly couldn't afford this, but the photos of the B&B look better.
Anthony

Orange would look good. But the next buyer would have to like Orange too and the paint job would have to be real good.

i do custom painting. the only way to do it right would be to sand it and use a sealer. pull the motor do the enigne bay door jambs and tunk. all that adds up to lots of labor. you dont want to open the hood and have the stock color. does not look good

Stock color is black though, so the engine bay would look fine. It's not like it's red or yellow.

I wish I could use Photoshop like that. :)

I like both, so I'm no help at all. :D

Stock color is black though, so the engine bay would look fine. It's not like it's red or yellow.
Bingo..Black is the est color to do a swap on..You will still need to do all of the jambs though...and it is labor intensive and very expensive.
A lot of new cars engine bays ae already black regrdless of what color the car is...so that part will be fine.

#1 I give you hella props on your photoshop skills!! Want to shop some of my ideas for my car?
On a side note I am about to repaint the lower half of my car and leave the black on top, Pretty much a full color swap paint job so I am interested in your results.

Rob

i wouldn't do it on MY car, but if i have to choose between those 2 colors for YOUR car....
i go orange over blue.

do note that when u pull parts that were using double sided tape, 100% seamless remounting is impossible. My dad sent our 2000 mitsu montero for a full paint job, things start to peel off, ie fenders.

the orange is HOT! love it. and traditionally blue is my favorite color. something about the car that orange looks better to me.

I also like the orange. Do the job right though, sand, prime, paint. Don't skip ANYTHING. I don't care if the engine bay is black on a Ferrari, nothing says Earl Schieb like opening the hood and finding a different color, and the masking lines that go with it. If you want to be different and unique don't do it half-assed. Just my opinion and two cents. And be ready to respray the whole front end every year until you sell the car because the nose on these things sheds paint faster than Britney lost her kids.

I love the look of the VW farenheit, hense the orange choice. I'm still waivering on the decision. I ordered a new front bumper and I need to get my driver's side door repainted becauase of a goof that scuffed the paint really bad. I'm going to shell out $500ish already to paint the bumper and door. This paint job is quoted to be under $2K (with all the right steps) But if I can't sell my car in a few years because of paint durability, I may pass. The front end of these 5's do get hit pretty hard! My front bumper right now looks terrible!!

Thanks for all the feedback and proops on my PS skills. I had time to kill on a flight home.

Attachments

• FB-MA06M5-F-AE_1.jpg
    FB-MA06M5-F-AE_1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 190
Back