Who makes a hitch that doesn't require cutting?

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
I read there is a mfg that is a direct bolt on and requires zero drilling. I want to add one just for installing a bike rack.

See the "After market trailer hitch" and "Trailer light wiring" threads below. I believe one references a 2" DrawTite bolt on hitch.

Curt, Hidden Hitch, Draw Tite, Valley all make them, but they are all 2".
Im still holding out for the factory hitch to be made available BECAUSE it is cut into the rear skirt and thereby almost invisible.

NOTE: I only want the 1.25 hitch for accessories. Dont recommend towing anything without the Towing Package, as you WILL overheat the transmission.

Last edited:
Curt, Hidden Hitch, Draw Tite, Valley all make them, but they are all 2".
Im still holding out for the factory hitch to be made available BECAUSE it is cut into the rear skirt and thereby almost invisible.

NOTE: I only want the 1.25 hitch for accessories. Dont recommend towing anything without the Towing Package, as you WILL overheat the transmission.

Has anyone reported overheating the transmission?
It is speced to tow 1500 lbs without the towing package isn't it.

I wasn't towing anything. This is why you can't buy the factory hitch receiver, even though early on it was listed as an available accessory for 1500lb max towing load. Some sales materials managed to get out before they could stop them.

Without the factory towing package, the transmission overheats under extra load, so I'm guessing the 1500lb non-package rating has also been tossed out and no longer suggested or supported by Mazda.

I've climbed hills and such no problem, just that head wind I was trying to push through caused a minor problem.

So your saying that you weren't towing anything and the 9 transmission closed down on you because you were doing 80 mph in a head-wind?

What does that have to do with towing and I don't remember seeing the tow bar as an available option due to the way it is packaged.

The factory set has a slit in the bumper.

Has anyone reported that they could not tow up to 1500 lbs?

My point is that even under just a very heavy wind load, and winding up the RPM's, the trans felt it had to take over to allow it to cool off. I do NOT think that the trans actually overheated, but the computer took action to compensate for my pushing it at high RPM under that wind load. (VERY strong wind)

Because of this, I would assume that actually towing a trailer may cause the same problem. I'm sure this is why the Accessory Hitch with the 1500lb capacity originally appearing in the brochures and Mazda.com suddenly disappeared and couldnt be purchased. Mazda probably didnt want to risk transmission issues, and played it safe.
You would have had to cut out the rear apron, but it is marked on the inside for that.

Last edited:
Here in Oz, with our standard Mazda towbar the CX9 is rated to pull 2000kg, which to my memory is 4400lb?(correct me if I'm wrong).
It does have a small cut out in the bumper, but still looks neat IMO.

Attachments

• Towbar9.jpg
    Towbar9.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Towbar8.jpg
    Towbar8.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Towbar6.jpg
    Towbar6.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Rear9.jpg
    Rear9.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
The CX9 was supposed to tow 1500lbs (680kg) without tow pkg, 3500lbs (1588kg) with.

BUT, you can't buy the hitch receiver. You MUST order the tow package from the factory, so Mazda obviously stopped supporting non package towing.

And the fact that it is cut into the rear apron is one of the reasons I wanted the factory receiver. It's a lot cleaner looking than the 2" aftermarkets

Last edited:
So CX9SO it was just the wind that caused your transmission to shut down? Taking delivery this week on a ride w/o the towing package but if it's going to shut down because of wind I'd be a bit concerned. Were you carrying anything approximating 1500 lbs. or more? Thanks much for the input.

First, the trans did not shut down. It locked me out so I couldn't shift. The car was still going fine but shifted to slow down. I think it was ANTICIPATING an overheat. I had 4 people and luggage, and was doing 80mph in a VERY VERY strong headwind in 4th gear.

I have never had any problems climbing hills or lesser winds. This was ONE TIME and I knew I was pushing the car hard. Still, I think as a precaution, this is why Mazda chose to pull the accessory hitch kit with the 1500lb capacity. CYA

Im sure under normal conditions, the CX9 will tow a small trailer fine(ie; 2 jet skis, etc), but Mazda may not honor the warranty if you have any trans problems unless you have the factory towing package.

Last edited:
okay- so no need to worry about it in general, you don't feel like this is a flaw or potential maintenance nightmare? really appreciate your responses. cheers.

Back