Cables for AWD

Hrudey

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I puchased an '08 CX 9 Grand Touring with AWD.
It has the 245/50R/20 tires.

I have two questions:

1) I want to purchase cables for use in the snow. I have not been able to find any locally & from what I've read, many internet sites sell cables that say they fit, but actually don't fit the 245/50R/20 tires. Does anyone know where to purchase the correct cables and do they need to be either limited clearance or "s" rated cables?

2) My rig is an "All Wheel Drive". The dealer has not been able to confirm if the cables should go on the front or rear set of wheels. Which set if wheels should the snow cables go on?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Hrudey

Snow Chains - Front Wheels Only

Snow cables? You live in Alaska?!
With AWD and a good set of snow tires, you should be all set for snow.

You may not want to put in snow cables on 20" rims/tires. Get either 17 or 18" wheels with good snow tires.

Attached screenshot from CX-9 owners manual indicates that snow chains should be used for the front wheels only.

Attachments

• Snow Chains - Front wheels only.jpg
    Snow Chains - Front wheels only.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 224
Snow Cables

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in sunny So. Cal. When I travel to Yosemite at New Years, it is usually snowing. I always need to carry chains, even if I don't need to use them. I had a 4wd Expedition, and they did not require me to put on the chains, just to have them in the vehicle "in case". I'm not sure if they'll do the same for an AWD vehicle. First of all, I'll have to "prove " to the CHP that this is an AWD vehicle. Unfortunately, there is no badging on the vehicle, so we'll have to look at the rear differential to verify AWD.

Thanks for the screenshot. I knew that the owners manual said to install the chains on the front wheels. I thought that the owner's manual might be generic and might not apply to AWD vehicles. I just need to verify that Mazda intended to have chains on the front wheels of both FWD and AWD Cx9's.

Snow Cables

I went to Valencia Mazda (owned by Galpin Ford) in Valencia.

I got a really good deal. We were looking for a loaded 2007 CX9 AWD so that we could get 0% financing. The dealer didn't have any. Evidently, All Wheel Drives are scarce in SoCal.

We were about to leave, when the manager came up with a plan.
He would sell us a 2008 and discount the vehicle to compensate for the difference between the 0% (unavailable on 2008's) and the actual 1.9% financing that was available. Basically, we got a loaded 2008 Grand Touring AWD for around $36K.
We are very happy with the deal that we got, as we had no other connections or discount options available to us, for a Mazda pruchase.

I can give you the salesman's name & number if you want to pursue your own "deal".

Back