Protege5 Trade-In Valuation?

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
All,

Has anyone traded in their Protege5 for a CX-9. I know at least one of you has.

If you do not mind, I would appreciate the model year and what you were offered for it.

I am getting a good price on a CX-9, but on my 2002 P5 Manual with 41000 miles, ABS, Side Airbags, Moonroof, Cassette, Alarm, etc, I am being offered $5900 by the dealer. He states is $400 more than the Galves book states.

Edmunds, Blue Book, and NADA is more like $7200+. What do you guys think?

- ZoomFive

Get the 1300 in extended warranty and/or factory accessories or navigation device by letting them know that their offer is lowball. Negotiate. Make'em up the trade-in or up some extra goodies.

Get the 1300 in extended warranty and/or factory accessories or navigation device by letting them know that their offer is lowball. Negotiate. Make'em up the trade-in or up some extra goodies.

That's a good idea, but I don't think they'll go for it. Working the deal, they will be giving me below invoice pricing regardless of trade. However, I am sure that they are lowballing on the trade because of that. I like the idea of extras aside from the car like the extended warranty. With the kids being little and guaranteed increased use over the years, an extended warranty would be a good one.

Did you sell a P5 or get that warranty?

- ZoomFive

i sold mine for 7800 private seller stock with 85k you can probably get more.

whoa whoa whoa... i was offered 9000.00, however i wasnt purchasing a CX-9 and i have a 03.5 P5 with 40,600 miles... that doesnt sound right u should be getting more

Take it to Carmax & get their written offer for your car. Typically a vehicle is worth atleast $1k-$2k more than Carmax's ultra-lowball valuations.

Ours was 03 auto, 48K miles = $8500 :D :D

We took it first to Carmax to see what we will get from it. When we got the CX9, we told them we would come back after we sell the P5 to Carmax. They matched the Carmax offer so we drove home with our CX9 that same night :)

Take it to Carmax & get their written offer for your car. Typically a vehicle is worth atleast $1k-$2k more than Carmax's ultra-lowball valuations.

yah. Carmax wanted to give me 4500. I give him the finger, took off, sold the car 3 days later for 3300 more.

The Canadian market is so different its hard for me to contribute exact values to this conversation. However it does seem like some of you are expecting retail value for your trades.

Example: If a car has a wholesale/trade value of $5000 you should be able to sell it for $7-$8000 privately. The dealer can't give you $8000 for a car they are going to sell for $8000, they would be out of business very shortly if that was normal.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some of the posts, but it seems some of you expect full retail value for your trades.

Less than half of retail can suck s*** thru a straw tho. More like 2/3 to 3/4 of retail for something in good to excellent shape. They don't lose money, they rob who they can or they juggle numbers is all.

Less than half of retail can suck s*** thru a straw tho. More like 2/3 to 3/4 of retail for something in good to excellent shape. They don't lose money, they rob who they can or they juggle numbers is all.

I left a message and am trying to get them to go to 6400 and be done with it. No call back yet.

Still waiting. I know that Thursday is my sales guy's day off. He said yesterday that he would speak to his general manager again, but was really busy. Tomorrow he's back, the month/qtr is coming to an end, and his gm is not in on Saturday.

The sales guys stated he was still willing to give me the PIN for supplier pricing, so that I could buy my CX-9 configured as I like for below invoice. He said that he would give that to me whether or not I wanted to do the trade-in.

Will let everyone know.

So.... finally, I agree to 6200 for my Trade-in. My specs for the new car were:

2008 CX-9 GT in Stormy Blue Mica with Black Interior with the following:
- Moonroof / Bose
- Backup Camera in Autodim Reaview mirror
- Roof Rack
- Cross bars
- Remote Start
- Shock Sensor
- Cargo Net

What the dealer found in is stock was that trim and color combo with:
- Moonroof / Bose
- Backup Camera in Autodim Reaview mirror
- Roof Rack

The remainder was to be dealer installed and I was told the the Business Manager would have to provide the costs. The saleman agreed to my request of just getting the cost from the Business Manager. So, the salesman never gets the costs and the Business Manager gives me a call anyway. I told him upfront that I wanted the remaining items at invoice or competitive.

He offered the Cross Bars at $110, which I accepted.

This is where it takes a dump... On the Remote Start and Shock Sensor, he proceeded to upsell me on aftermarket systems, which were $595 and $495 respectively. He did so without giving me any info or costs on my original Mazda items. He still has not. Instead he goes into great offerings for VIN etching, Teflon Coatings, and Extended Warranties. Oh he did offer the cargo net for $75. He did say that all of the costs given were what he was given by Service and that they were NOT making any money on me. HA.

I reiterated to the Business Manager that I will only want the Cross Bars from him and pricing on the Shock Sensor and Remote Start. We'll see what he calls back with.

My salesguy called me after hours and I reiterated invoice only or else we are ordering the car from the factory with these items installed.

To be continued...

- ZoomFive

So.... finally, I agree to 6200 for my Trade-in. My specs for the new car were:

He offered the Cross Bars at $110, which I accepted.

This is where it takes a dump... On the Remote Start and Shock Sensor, he proceeded to upsell me on aftermarket systems, which were $595 and $495 respectively. He did so without giving me any info or costs on my original Mazda items. He still has not. Instead he goes into great offerings for VIN etching, Teflon Coatings, and Extended Warranties. Oh he did offer the cargo net for $75.
To be continued...

- ZoomFive
Why in the world to you need a "Shock Sensor"? Also, an aftermarket remote start will NOT work properly with your Mazda Advanced Key system. Stick to OEM. Cargo Net cost me $32. VIN etching, Teflon & Extended Warranties are a waste of money. Say no to all of those.

I would (a) Order a CX-9 with all of the stuff you want or (b) Live without a couple extra gadgets.

Why in the world to you need a "Shock Sensor"? Also, an aftermarket remote start will NOT work properly with your Mazda Advanced Key system. Stick to OEM. Cargo Net cost me $32. VIN etching, Teflon & Extended Warranties are a waste of money. Say no to all of those.

I would (a) Order a CX-9 with all of the stuff you want or (b) Live without a couple extra gadgets.

Yeah... I was just remarking at how the guy was looking to rape me with these aftermarket items and a double price cargo net. The only acceptable item were the cross bars.

Back