Did Mazda cheap out?

I raised my hood today on my CX-9, expecting it to raise up by itself. It did not happen. This is a luxury SUV? Costing close to 40K?!, and it comes with a HOOD PROP! Way to go Mazda! Was I expecting too much of this?

Gerry

Never opened the hood before purchasing it?

Does sound cheap though if you ask me, but then again... it is a Mazda.

This is a luxury SUV? Costing close to 40K?!, and it comes with a HOOD PROP!
Gerry
Yes, it is a luxury vehicle that costs $40k. People that buy such vehicles can easily afford to have someone else open the hood for whatever it is that needs to be done. For my Mazdaspeed6 I've hardly ever needed to pop the hood, just to refill windshield washer fluid in winter months. CX-9, I haven't even popped the hood open, yet.

Look at it this way. A prop vs a hydraulic or pneumatic system saves weight=better fuel economy handling, etc.

I would tell myself that is why Mazda has cheap thin carpet as well. In any event, I dont think it is cheap to have a prop. Mazda may want people to think the CX-9 is luxury and owners may also want to think it is, but in reality, $40K for an SUV these days is probably pretty typical.

Dont get me wrong, I love the CX-9, and hopefully will get one when my the lease runs out on my Wife's Pathfinder (which stickered for $37K and also has a prop hood). I guess since many people never go under the hood themselves, it is non-issue for most.

Last edited:
For 40k the suv is priced perfectley, the hood prop is an easy and simple design better then gas struts, which will eventually run out and cost about $150.00 + labour to have replaced(average) mazda i belive has a focus on what you really want, while keep the basic's simple and easy to use. but then again when you spend 40k on the car, ask yourself how often do you find yourself even opening the hood?
everyone must voice there opinion, it would be cool to have electric or some type of motorized unit to open the hood, the question is would you pay and extra $750-$1500 for that option?

simple and easy while keeping what you really want up to par and pure luxury.

The other thing to consider is what about a few years down the road when your lift cylinder wears out and you need to find a hunk of lumber to hold your hood up. I will take a prop personally, but thats just my opinion...I could be wrong.

To fit Mazdaspeed 6

McMaster-Carr:

9416K47 M6 Quick-release Steel Socket, For 10 Mm Ball $4.44

9416K366 Gas Spring With Threaded Ends, 80 Force, 18.22" Extended Length, 7.87" Stroke $12.46

9512K94 Ball Mounting Hardware, Steel, 30 Deg Angle Ball Bracket $2.22

4185T11 Gas Spring Seal Protector, For .75" Cylinder Diameter $1.60

Redline Tuning: Ball-stud, washer, jacknut & locknut $11.45

Total: $32.17 plus shipping.

I was also disappointed by the hood prop. My last car was a $24,000 jetta station wagon and it had gas cylindars. I owned it for 6 years and never had a leaking/replacement issue.

Mazda cheaped out

Yes, I agree, the hood prop is tacky on a nice vehicle like this. It's especially tacky when you consider a power lift gate is an option!!

It's always the little things that annoy you with a new car. Having traded in a BMW 740il on mine, I can't begin to tell you the things I'll miss. Except for $$$$'s in repairs that is! This is not a true luxury vehicle, but it's plenty nice.

My goodness ! Is this what u complaing about? (humpleg)(direct)

hahaha, seems life is to harsh on u or been way too much spoiled in your life, complaining about that crap! is just hilarious and :confused:

All my cars have had a hood prop, whats the need to have something else? cant open the hood yourself? Wow, people are starving, people are ill, having cancer, aids, people in wars, and u complaing about a hood prop like if mazda is known for offering other than a hood prop? nope, mazda has made this car their very best and the most expensive, but having a hood prop to open the hood isnt going to be such an stressfull and demanding labor? or is it?

I do miss the lack of an on-board computer, I mean most other cars have it, even an 08 lancer , I guess the mazda 3 as well? SO that is something this car definitely should have. Did mazda cheap out? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Hmm, Complaining about not having gas struts for hood?
Deal breaker I suppose!

Obviously not, since I own one. BTW for those that actually get under their hood, a gas strut does not automatically open your hood. Rear hatch yes. Also if one likes to do under-hood maintenance, a metal stick gets annoying. Not a major issue just surprising.

lol the funny thing is.... 90% of the people complaining about the lack of a gas strut, will never be under the hood anyways LMAO

You could go buy a $75,000 2008 Land crusier and still have to prop the hood....

Who cares....pop your hood by your lazy self

Back